internet speed

Requests for changes or modifications to the forum software settings or other wish list items. Also, post any problems you are having using the forum here.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

geordie

Re: internet speed

Post by geordie »

i am going crazy with the speed here i have tried the hewlett which is hard wired to the modem i have ran all virus checks upgraded the speed from 10 -20 mb and currently am thinking to just stop posting its taking so long to download as well as the gamble that any upload may or may not make it now its ridiculous it locks and the page stutters going down it can now take two or three minuites for a page to down load as the pictures half apear today the sql error mesage sugested contact an administrator ?????help or sugestions anyone?????
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Post by geordie »

interesting this reply is via the second computer the first still has a blank page with done on the bottom but the reply is above i am not getting returned to the forum
geordie

Post by geordie »

as mentioned above the message seems to get posted now after a couple of minuites but the screen after posting is not returning to the forum it shows the coolhouse logo with the little brickie and the advert box but the page under it is blank
The first message was sent on the laptop the second on the hewlett which has been turned off for over a year so has had no update,s or scans both computers did the same thing although the stuttering is less on the hewlett probably because its wired direct to the modem even just reading a few posts now is becoming seriously hard work time of day has no effect and somtimes it kicks off with the first post appears instantly as it should then when you select another post it refuses to display the page
geordie

Post by geordie »

Rather than edit the last post which went in seconds and did everything perfect returning to the page i am trying again ?? but this defies beleif

same again 1 1/2 mins
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

really suggest using opera browser 11.11
here is link

http://www.opera.com/browser/?utm_sourc ... operalinks

u need remember user name n password but after enter 1 time u b asked if u want opera to rember pw n u/n

the reasons
cache feature of prior pages
low memory requirements
one of fastest browsers avail
has tab feature (can do benchmark as mentioned)

at times i get same hangup u mention wwhen logging in

with opera i just click back to '''post reply'' page n click post reply again
this brings me straight to posting

(without log on as cookie is reset but other parts of script were hung up - no matter - site just looking for updated cookie which u update when click 'login' after data entry)
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

geo
re opera
also the cached back tab is very handy when cth site eats u posts
as mentioned b4
when post get eaten u just click 'back tab' n
shzaams sergent!
There is u eaten post in all its original glory
so rather than massive retype it is just simple click
'sumit'
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

also with opera are image quality setting s of hi low medium
other browser's is typical on or off
the less the size of graphics to be loaded, the faster a pageloads
hope is some relief for u geordie
geordie

Post by geordie »

Strange today i contacted my isp and had a moan so they did a remote takeover and speed checked it the conclusion was that the firewall in the modem was creating problems so they disabled it the result is no buffering and instant response the strange thing is that this problem was ocurring way before the new modem was installed and the old had no firewall
so i am suspicious as to how long the good conection will last strange thing is i used to have the same problem with the phone line to thailand untill i made a call and that was miraculously cured
geordie

Post by geordie »

well i now have a New Acer laptop windows seven all new and gleaming and i am still having problems at various times of day the problem now is its even more noticible because the machine is faster there is definately a deteriation in service and the amount of time waiting for a response is unreal at times sometimes several minuites its quicker usually to open a new window and look at the next thread
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

congrats geo
u r now the proud receiver of the :
2011 Tabbers Unamious Websurfer Omnibudsman award!
geordie

Post by geordie »

ooh thanks otis does it require me to make a speech or something (you know plain brown envelope ?)

I would swap it for the fast conection i get now where i click and the page is there in a milisecond or less but then change to read another topic its into minuites
geordie

Post by geordie »

Not whinging today everything has speeded up beyond beleif download upload and topic changes atlthough can still develop a stutter somthing,s improved
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

geo
double post:
relates to weirdosity of the bbs system software.. Hit the post button & no response. When that happens:90% assured will eat my post. As prior explain with operamini browser no big deal- just click the back button and eaten post reappears from memory cache. (step 1) now software has panty's in wad so if u hit repost- him say no no no & show eaten blank post step (2) repete 2 often as u will but same reply- blank page so we advance to step 3 =: use copy function when mem cache bring back eaten post as perormed in step1. Now step 4 by application step 2 but when blank page show up just do a past of eaten post into the cth software created blank page. Submit the formly blank page which now has u recovered post pasted in and life is good- software has made u retype u post so he happy & u r :-))- as u outsmarted him by pasting n u eaten post. NOW: make it mo simple when he even hints at gettin contakerous viola:l i hit right click copy so when dummy shows blank screen is just paste eaten post & submit & all is well. Xcept this time he no eat but i feed him copied post anyway & a partial double post is result. Demonistrate method to u speed thread. U c this there also
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

as u c geo
''copy'' is very handy
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

This morning I had a major problem posting between 7.30 and 8.15. I attempted to post a write-up a number of times, but the computer showed it was contacting "coolthaihouse" but hadn't posted, so I stopped it after the second attempt and checked other internet sites. I then attempted it again, twice, then gave up as I was the duty driver. When I arrived home the post had gone through, not once but four times.