Wiki or knowledge base idea.

Requests for changes or modifications to the forum software settings or other wish list items. Also, post any problems you are having using the forum here.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

Mud_Monkey

Wiki or knowledge base idea.

Post by Mud_Monkey »

I think a wiki or knowledge base would be extremely useful. While I went through the topics in this forum, one by one, I came across numerous little tips and other gems from the members. I tried to note them down when I remembered but I am sure that I have missed out on many.
While I understand that there is no 'one true way' in most aspects of construction, there certainly are 'best practices' that one should follow. Unfortunately these are, at times, buried deep within a thread (and some deep within a thread about something entirely different).

The main site with info and articles sections are great but there is so much more that can be included.
The wiki would take the load off Dozer (or whoever he assigns to do it) as members can add and edit as they will which, of course, opens it up to abuse too. The knowledge base would be more secure but use up more of the web master's time.

Just a thought.
geordie

Re: Wiki or knowledge base idea.

Post by geordie »

sounds simple but not every problem has the same solution what works for one member may not be the answer for you better to ask the question at least then you can call it an informed decision
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
Mud_Monkey

Post by Mud_Monkey »

I agree geordie. I was hoping for a more general collection of info.
For example:
Minimum depth of concrete for certain areas
What type (brand) of Cement for which application
Minimum size of footing
How to calculate X, Y and Z
When to use rebar (and at what hun for a certain job) and when to use the rolls.
etc.

These answers are already in the forum just hidden under a whole bunch of other stuff. This is why the same answered questions seem to get asked again and again (and require one of the regulars to point to an existing thread). The search is a great tool, but as time goes by all the results will be people asking the same questions and getting told to look elsewhere.
Anyway, as I said, it was just an idea. I am compiling my own collection of dos and don'ts by going through the forum one by one. Just seems silly that every new builder will have to do the exact same exercise.

MM
thaifly

Post by thaifly »

geordie wrote:sounds simple but not every problem has the same solution what works for one member may not be the answer for you better to ask the question at least then you can call it an informed decision
its a gidday to geordie...its the thai fly from mae rim....the above is nicely said...and why fix something that is nt broken?????a few days of research on C.T.H. can be come somewhat tedious..but the rewards are there to put in some work..taking into account you are receiving great info from blue chip members..for ZERO BAHT....dozer might want to take into consideration at some time to give the board a hair cut on some topics and threads which are not a help to a member..and eleminate the time in doing a research for them...its a do some yakka gidday to all its the thai fly from mae rim
geordie

Post by geordie »

thanks for the kind words thaifly
mud monkey in the uk we have a famous phrase seen on many construction drawings

TO SUIT SITE CONDITIONS

meaning no two jobs are alike and its not always possible to follow the drawings to the letter that is what is good about the forum any problems you are likely to come across have probably already been encountered by someone else allowing even ameture builders to sucseed with their project
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
Mud_Monkey

Post by Mud_Monkey »

Thanks geordie and ThaiFly. Pls consider this idea well and truly terminated to extinction.

Don't worry, I have plenty more silly ones where that came from :lol:

MM
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

I think a wiki or knowledge base would be extremely useful.
Completely a different format from this site. One downside to the internet is that there is a massive amount of useful information, but it requires work to get at it.