House in Rattanaburi, Surin

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

tertim

House in Rattanaburi, Surin

Post by tertim »

Hi
Just had a phone call from my wife telling me there is a problem with the land that we want to build on in about 8 months time.

My MIL and her brother own about 3 Rai of land and the deeds are in joint names, the bother has a house on part of the land but the MIL has not built anything on her part, she has her own house nearby.
The MIL wants to give her half of the land to my wife so we can build a house, when my wife spoke with her uncle he just refuses to agree to split the land and have separate deeds ( He has a history of cheating his family out of land)
It looks likely that my wife will have to engage a lawyer to intervene to force the issue.

What do think will be the likely outcome as regards time frame, cost etc ?

Any recommendations for a lawyer in Rattanaburi?

Pop kan mai
tertim

Re: House in Rattanaburi, Surin

Post by tertim »

Well no replies but for information which may prove valuable in the future I will give you an update:-

My wife(Yam) went to the land office to see if they could help and to my surprise they have a department( I think arbitration ) to deal with such issues, apparently many Thai families in disputes over land. The land office sent out 3 officials about 4 weeks later to look at the land and said they would come back in 3 days to talk with Yam and her uncle together.
Well the meeting took place as scheduled and at the beginning yam's uncle was adamant she would have to employ a lawyer to get him to sign anything. Well the head official spoke to him as you would a naughty child and he crumpled like a paper bag, so the next day it was off to the land office and everything signed sealed and delivered with a new chanote, result!!! No charge for this service!!!!

So I'm off to Rattanaburi on monday to check out the land and take some levels for planning and maybe some fill, from the pictures I've seen it looks like only a minimum of fill will be required.

Have booked a survey for the land (6350B) which is scheduled for 15 June.

Pop Kan mia
MGV12

Re: House in Rattanaburi, Surin

Post by MGV12 »

tertim wrote:Well no replies but for information which may prove valuable in the future I will give you an update:-

My wife(Yam) went to the land office to see if they could help and to my surprise they have a department( I think arbitration ) to deal with such issues, apparently many Thai families in disputes over land. The land office sent out 3 officials about 4 weeks later to look at the land and said they would come back in 3 days to talk with Yam and her uncle together.
Well the meeting took place as scheduled and at the beginning yam's uncle was adamant she would have to employ a lawyer to get him to sign anything. Well the head official spoke to him as you would a naughty child and he crumpled like a paper bag, so the next day it was off to the land office and everything signed sealed and delivered with a new chanote, result!!! No charge for this service!!!!

So I'm off to Rattanaburi on monday to check out the land and take some levels for planning and maybe some fill, from the pictures I've seen it looks like only a minimum of fill will be required.

Have booked a survey for the land (6350B) which is scheduled for 15 June.

Pop Kan mia
Thanks for posting that tertim. It could very well help someone else along the way. Even though [as with Immigration offices] not all Land Offices probably work the same.

FUTAB..........