Security of land deeds

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

SwissTony

Security of land deeds

Post by SwissTony »

I’m concerned about the security of land deeds of our newly-built house in Sisaket province. The deed is in my Thai wife’s name so am I right in assuming that no one else, not even another family member, can do anything with the deed should it fall into their possession, like pawning it for instance? Also to transfer the land out of her name she would have to be physically present when the transaction is made at the Land Office, is that correct? Any advice welcome.
Roger Ramjet

Re: Security of land deeds

Post by Roger Ramjet »

SwissTony,
You have every right to be worried about the land deeds. Family members have a bad habit of hocking something they don't own, normally to a loan shark. My wife's brother did it (or tried to do it) with my wife's house in Sara Buri, but as we hold the land title deeds for it in our safe in Bangkok it did not get past 1st base. My wife was even rung by the would be loan shark who demanded we bring the deed with us to the police station at Sara Buri, but she ignored the implied threats. And I politely told him to stop or he'd have to talk to one of the uncles (retired army officer).
Be careful.
Sometimewoodworker

Post by Sometimewoodworker »

Does RR has said you do have to be concerned about security of the land deed. It can and is used for security for a loan by somebody who doesn't own it.

I would suggest that you get a SafetyDeposit box in a bank ours costs us 300 baht a year.
thaicbr

Post by thaicbr »

STWW. That safety deposit box idea is a good one.. what is the Thai name for it (if any)?
Which bank do you have yours with?
Thanks Allan

Sometimewoodworker

Post by Sometimewoodworker »

thaicbr wrote:STWW. That safety deposit box idea is a good one.. what is the Thai name for it (if any)?
Which bank do you have yours with?
Thanks Allan

Ours is with Kasakorn in Udon Thani we did have to go to several branches to find one that had a box available. We also had to open an account so that the annual fee could be deducted. I've just checked with SWMBO and the fee is ฿500 pa with a key deposit of about ฿2,000 (that might be per key) the name in Thai is. "ตู้นิรภัย"
Ours is the smallest size and would hold about a ream of A4 paper with space I front for bank books. Larger sizes are more expensive.