Posting about a Bad Service Provider

Announcements and forum news!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

dozer
Site Admin

Posting about a Bad Service Provider

Post by dozer »

I realize that moderating this forum is all in good fun and don't take anything too seriously generally. However, I do believe I might need to set the record straight about one particular issue from over a year ago that keeps being brought up.

We have a policy about not being able to slander any particular business BY NAME as stated in the FAQ. However, one member had had a bad experience with a lawyer and posted a graphic and I felt compelling narrative as to what had gone wrong. First off, let me say that I had serious empathy for the member as I have had unpleasant experiences with bad lawyers before.

As an aside, I just believe from my experience and others I've talked to that if you took 100 lawyers here in Thailand about 40 or 50 would probably be OK/competent about 25 or so would be idiots and about 25 or so would be crooks. This is not a scientific study, just my own anecdotal experience/opinion. I think even most lawyers would agree that there are serious problems with certain practicing lawyers -- although they might disagree on the percentages.

Within minutes after the post, the specific information about that particular lawyer was removed (such as name/address, etc), I also removed all positive references towards that lawyer immediately, as I took the complaint seriously. The member has mentioned 'freedom of speech issues', unfortunately with the libel laws as they are in Thailand, no forum allows specific businesses or companies to be named in a negative light (should state no forums that I know of). The approach I have followed has been to allow third party 'recommendations' (as long as the person recommending the service provider has no vested interest) for service providers until I receive any negative info. All of this is obviously subject to judgment calls but is always in the FAQs for all to see.

Another thing I would like to state: at the time of the particular post, I had not met and had no independent knowledge of the stated lawyer, nor did I receive any benefit from other member references which had been posted. Since that time after I removed all positive links to that particular lawyer (shortly after the initial post), I did get further information about that particular lawyer. Since the issue is pretty much dead I will not go into that information, other than to say that even if the case was such that I got burned by that particular lawyer I won't be posting his name and address here on this forum. So there you have it, the complaint was posted, accepted at face value, acted upon as stated in the FAQs (removal of any favorable links, referrals) and well, I am still receiving complaints and innuendos about it.

The moral of the story: you can't please everyone, be careful with recommendations and please read the FAQs before slamming anyone!

Another related posting about why a 'blacklist' can't be maintained is here: why no service provider blacklist .
geordie

Re: Posting about a Bad Service Provider

Post by geordie »

refresh
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
Nawty

Re: Posting about a Bad Service Provider

Post by Nawty »

Here here to Dozer.

Makes you wonder why the Thai general business public is so scared of bad publicity. heard that when the referendum went out for this vote....everybody put their hands up and said 'god forbid'...

I have dealt with a few businesses very scared of bad publicity, one was listed here, they are scared because they know its all true and they cannot handle the truth and accept criticism and use it productively to improve their business.

Oh well.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'