picture upload limit

Requests for changes or modifications to the forum software settings or other wish list items. Also, post any problems you are having using the forum here.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

scudman

picture upload limit

Post by scudman »

Looked everywhere but to no avail. What is the maximum size one uploaded picture can be? My first attempt at a 1.5M file was rejected.
fredlk

Re: picture upload limit

Post by fredlk »

scudman wrote:Looked everywhere but to no avail. What is the maximum size one uploaded picture can be? My first attempt at a 1.5M file was rejected.
256 kilobyte officially although it will accept slightly larger. Pixel size maximum 700 by 700.
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

There was something wrong in the server since the server upgrade a couple of months ago which was limiting upload size on images.

It has been fixed now, so you should be able to upload an image at least 2 - 3 MB and it will get resized and added as an attachment.

The following sample is over 2 mb.
Attachments
2 mb attachment
2 mb attachment
pipoz

Post by pipoz »

Hi

I resize my pictures from 2-3 MB down to less than 100 Kb before I upload/attach them.

I use (file name is) “image resizer powertoy setup”

and the Link to the site. image resizer for windows

I think it can be downlaoded for free and is very simple to use. You just right click on you picture and in 2 seconds its is resized to small, medium etc and normally under 100Kb

Regards

pipoz
Sometimewoodworker

Post by Sometimewoodworker »

The Size limit is fixed for the rest of us now
This file is 4.1MB and 12243 × 1491 pixels
This file is 4.1MB and 12243 × 1491 pixels

I do like my connection speed here :D
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

Yes, if you had tried this before the 2nd there was a limitation on picture size for 'registered users' and not for mods, admin. Now it should work for everyone, pic/doc limit should be 5MB.
Shastadad

Post by Shastadad »

Just have sympathy for our members that don't have high speed connections when you choose a size

Since everyone is looking at them on a computer the max resolution of most computer screens should be your size goal

Bigger is not necessarily better
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

Shastadad wrote:Just have sympathy for our members that don't have high speed connections when you choose a size

Since everyone is looking at them on a computer the max resolution of most computer screens should be your size goal

Bigger is not necessarily better
Indeed. Most pics load okay for me on my capped 3G but sometimewoodworker's take up to 10 times as long to load with as a result I often stop the download and just read the text.
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

the pic on the main page should is a minimized image, like a thumbnail.

The one from the 2MB upload is 51.68 KB, so the main forum listing should load quickly no matter how large the original is.
pipoz

Post by pipoz »

dozer wrote:the pic on the main page should is a minimized image, like a thumbnail.

The one from the 2MB upload is 51.68 KB, so the main forum listing should load quickly no matter how large the original is.
I was trying to upload a photo of 277 KB (in my Build section under Happy House Udon Thani" and when I pressed Add File, the message came up

"Temporary folder could not be found. Please check your PHP installation"

Any idea?

pipoz
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

pipoz wrote: "Temporary folder could not be found. Please check your PHP installation"
Any idea?
I can see the forum acting strangely today. For example smilies are on but not visible.
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

I just verified the problem in the test area (with attachments) and notified the host. The problem appears to be resolved now. Let me know if you still see anything else.