slow forum

Requests for changes or modifications to the forum software settings or other wish list items. Also, post any problems you are having using the forum here.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

fredlk

slow forum

Post by fredlk »

Ever since the last upgrade I find that coolthaihouse is slower than ever. For example on my (throttled) 3G connection I will refresh a U.K. page and coolthaihouse at the same time. The U.K. page updates in less than 2 seconds while coolthaihouse might take 10 seconds or longer at which time I usually do a new refresh to see if it's stuck which it is a lot of the time. What's going on? It's almost as if coolthaihouse needs the full bandwidth to load.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: slow forum

Post by dozer »

I'm on a cable connection and it seems very fast. Have not noticed any slowness. I will test it from my aircard later.
Shastadad

Post by Shastadad »

Opposite for me, when in the US, CTH takes forever to load, here it loads 100% faster

In fact, when I am having trouble connecting to sites outside of Thailand I try CTH to determine if the problem is with my Internet connection or with the international gateway
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

Opposite for me, when in the US, CTH takes forever to load, here it loads 100% faster
That would make more sense as there are international bandwidth restrictions, etc.
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

I just unplugged my regular connection and made a connection with a AIS Aircard, yet unthrottled I suspect (full bandwidth). Creating a test post took under a second as well as listing the forum page. On both methods (AIS Aircard or Cable lines) activity on the forum seems fine as far as I can tell.
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

dozer wrote:
That would make more sense as there are international bandwidth restrictions, etc.
It's just a thought but maybe the 3G here goes through another gateway which gives all websites, international and national, equal access and / or restrictions.
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

I don't think so (non restricted international). Sometimes the aircard (3g AIS) has other weird problems, for example just a minute ago it would no load the full formatted page but only unformatted HTML (was not loading CSS). Switched to cable and it works fine. That being said sometimes the cable connection can be very slow on international.
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

dozer wrote:Sometimes the aircard (3g AIS) has other weird problems, for example just a minute ago it would no load the full formatted page but only unformatted HTML (was not loading CSS).
I get that too sometimes.
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

Something else I noticed is that when I download a page together with for example something on teakdoor, teakdoor's page appears immediately while that on coolthaihouse doesn't appear for some time. Teakdoor is then slow to complete the download while coolthaihouse, once it comes up, downloads the whole page quite quickly.
BKKBILL

Post by BKKBILL »

I'm using an AIS 7.2 Mbps air card that operates at about 240 kbps on a good day and found after the iMac hard dive failure and replacement CTH has been loading normally, possibly faster now than before the upgrade although it is hard to be sure being out in the boonies and all it really depends on the time of day.

Did have to replace the air card a couple of months ago another electronic failure.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

In all probability the overall speed of the transactions depend more on the internet response time that the server response time (which is minimal in comparison). The exception being when the server 'hangs up' due to some looping problem or other problems which we had in the past on the old server.
rolyth

Post by rolyth »

i am not gonna open another new topic since there is this topic now.

the forum is very slow for such a low user site.. take 10sec or so just to go to another page...

i think your webhost put your site on a overloaded server..

you should really consider a more professional hosting company
<advertising link removed - mod>
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

Not only is the forum slow in loading, it's slow when you post. This morning I had an SQL error for 30 minutes. Then when I tried posting this, it wouldn't post.
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

SQL error for 30 minutes
Just to clarify one this, if you are seeing an SQL error that is a much different problem from the forum being slow in general. We have had various issues with the server getting 'hung up' especially on the old server. If you see the SQL error again please do a screen print and PM me.