advertising banned

Announcements and forum news!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

dozer
Site Admin

advertising banned

Post by dozer »

Check out the FAQ. I added a section at the top for things specific to coolthaihouse. The first one is no advertising, as I state there.

1.) SPAM falls under a different category, and is easier to detect. SPAM is generally generated by automatic programs and posted on a number of different web sites simultaneously.

2.) Advertising is when legitimate forum members use the forum to generate business for their own construction related business. SOMETIMES IT CAN BE A GREY area, since coolthaihouse welcomes person in the building trades to become members -- they have a lot of knowledge they can share with us.

NOTE TO PERSONS IN BUILDING TRADES WHO POST ON COOLTHAIHOUSE: You should use the forum to post specific information that will help others who are searching through the forum.

Example (OF A GOOD POST): I disagree with Jones on the type of pump which should be used in a artesian well. From my experience here surface pumps do not hold up well and the only way to go is with a submersible pump. Mitsu brand pumps have a 7 year warranty and seem to be the most durable.
Example (OF A BAD POST): If you are thinking about digging an artesian well do you know what you are getting into? If you have one of the Thai contractors do it, you are in for big headaches. Just recently there was news about 3 people who tried to manage artesian well projects by themselves and they ended up with 40 foot sinkholes where their front yard was. IF YOU NEED TO DO A WELL you must contact a professional well digger like myself, I have 30 years experience overseas and they don't know how to DO WELLS HERE. Please think about if you want a sinkhole in your front and contact me if you do not want a huge sinkhole in your front yard!

NOTE To Current Coolthaihouse Members;

Please PM me with what you perceive as advertising. I will check it out and edit/remove posts within 3 days. If you want to comment on Coolthaihouse Advertising policy or any other matter, please start a new thread. Example: There is an existing thread on Swimming Pools. Mr Swimming Pool builder says the only way to get it done is to use his company (Mr Swimming Pool Builder). Then we long discussions about why we don't allow advertsing, etc, which will confuse anyone trying to find out about swimming pools. PLEASE PM me, and ignore the self promotional post which I will delete or edit. If you want, start a thread about self promotion but don't mention the offending poster by name.
dozer
Site Admin

Advertising Policy

Post by dozer »

Background: Coolthaihouse was essentially started to be a place where persons who wanted to get a house built in Thailand could look for non-biased advice, examples and information. When I started the site, there really was no other information source out there except realators and the like -- those with advice such as 'if you need help come to us, we can sort you out'.

New Advertising Policy: There are some Thai and Farang members who are actively engaged in the building trade. WHAT WE WANT to avoid is the forum and the site becoming a launching place for advertisements for services. No where on the site should services for construction services be offered, except in paid advertisements (which by the way are highly appreciated and supportive of the site). THINGS to buy and sell should be put in the Buy and Sell forum.

The new advertising policy regarding the forum is this: Anyone in the building trade or business is prohibited from mentioning that fact or talking about in any way being in the business on the forum. This includes in the introduce yourself forum. If you are in the business or do any for profit projects you are welcome to offer information on the site (in fact it is appreciated) BUT YOU are not allowed to state that you are in the business.

I know this may seem a little silly at first, but in managing the forum, it is what ends up making the most sense. We have had some threads get out of hand which basically started with the someone stating they are in the business, then after that it seems like the posts are somewhat self promotional. I cannot disect every thread and determine what is self promotional or not because often times it is a grey area. Therefore, if nothing is mentioned about being in the construction business there should logically be no opportunity to be self promotional.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: advertising banned

Post by dozer »

This is always a 'hot subject' which generates a lot of flame wars, especially recently. First off, as I have stated before it is fine for commercial users to post and share information on the forum. Look at it this way: it would be kind of silly to disallow professionals who are in the building trade.... because they have a lot of information to share. What we want to avoid is those commercial members who only really know one thing: HOW TO PLUG THEIR business (BAD, BAD, BAD) vs. HOW TO CONTRIBUTE INFORMATION (good, good good).

After all, the coolthaihouse is basically an information repository about Expats building in Thailand. What we are trying to attract is good, fairly objective information that is beneficial to those that read it. Before we tried this:
Anyone in the building trade or business is prohibited from mentioning that fact or talking about in any way being in the business on the forum
which doesn't work out well either as it leads some members to conceal the fact they are building professionals. Some of the information they post might be viewed differently had it been known they were in the building trade to begin with. The new rule is: Go ahead and mention it, just don't use the forum to post spammy type posts with the objective of drumming up business.

If you think a post is SELF SERVING and has limited benefit outside of promoting the business endeavor of the poster, please DO NOT POST ANYTHING ABOUT IT ON THE FORUM, just PM me and alternatively use the report button on the post. A 'report' can be generated by clicking on the '!' icon on the upper right corner of the post. It allows you to indicate the problems you see with the post.

I am working on a feature which will show whether a user is 'commerical' or 'non-commercial' which is further information that can be used by the individual reader of the posts.