finding a good lawyer

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

dozer
Site Admin

finding a good lawyer

Post by dozer »

Try to get a recommendation from a Thai for a lawyer that Thais themselves use. While it is true that Thai lawyers often don't know how to do some things you would think they should (ie. set up a company with multiple classes of stock) most everything else they would be good at.

There are three classes of Thai lawyers.
1.) those who aren't very knowledgeable and will need to 'get back to you' on even the simplest questions. Prepare some questions the lawyer should know. Ask them. If you get this 'I need to check into it' - give the lawyer a pass.
2.) those with not too many clients just waiting for the odd farang to victimize. Had a brush with one of these myself. There are two clues, one not too many other clients, when you ask how much anything is you will be told 'not expensive.
3.) compentant and busy. This is what you are looking for.

Any Thai businessman that happens to use a lawyer will be a good source of a reference......
KoratCat

Post by KoratCat »

Like I wrote on the other topic, many people are satisfied with <edit dozer 26 Feb 08, can't recommend own firm>
They also work a little outside Korat, like Buriram, Khon Kaen, Chonburi, etc.

They are posting on <edit dozer>
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Tried them. They may be quite good, but they are NOT cheap. They are indirectly connected with a certain Pattaya firm.
Attila

Your shop?

Post by Attila »

KoratCat wrote:Like I wrote on the other topic, many people are satisfied with <edit dozer>
They also work a little outside Korat, like Buriram, Khon Kaen, Chonburi, etc.

They are posting on <edit dozer>
Hmmm Koratcat, 3 posts from you last year and 2 recommend this lawyer. This does not happen to be your shop, does it? :wink:
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Used very recently by an acquaintance in the region. Impeccable, very smooth service and client very satisfied, but subsequent enquiries turned up less expensive quotes - but the services may not have turned out to be so good. Who knows?

Other law firms in Isaan with an excellent knowledge of English practice a flagrant rip-off (Nong Khai), others (Udon Thani) are so cheap - but good - one wonders how they make a living 8)
thomas.fontaine

Post by thomas.fontaine »

I will personally use <removed>

They have been recommended by a friend and on an other forum. Everybody seem happy with them. They have also been quoted as reasonably cheap.
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

There are many reasons for needing a lawyer. One of the best ways to find one who will understand a client's needs is for the client to have made up his mind what service he wants from the tips and information available on these and other forums, and friends. Nevertheless, it pays to shop around and Dozer's comments are excellent first advice. Some lawyers will even pretend that some things can't be done without a lawyer - such as a usufruct, for example.

The most often required service by a farang is to set up a company for land acquisition and/or draw up a lease. There are other ways of legally acquiring full rights to the land for life, but most lawyers will not mention these as a legal service is not necessarily required and they won't make any money out of it.

If a lawyer is required to take a civil action to court, he should be provided will all the facts, and preferably from the client directly, to avoid being confused with information and advice from the client's friends or family. It is unlikely that a really incompetent lawyer exists - they can only act on the information they are provided with.

And of course, always: caveat emptor
Nawty

Post by Nawty »

Funny, my thread on lawyers to avoid has been deleted.

Guess the turth hruts to much around here !!!!!!

Oh well, I tried to warm people, bad luck now if anyone uses them and ends up in a pile a pooh.
jazzman

Re:

Post by jazzman »

thomas.fontaine wrote:I will personally use
Hi Thomas,
You posted this way back in February so I assume that what you wanted them for has been done. Could you let us know if the service was satisfactory and whether you found it to be reasonably priced? Did it, for example, save you the cost of coming from KL to get done what you wanted?
thomas.fontaine

Re: Re:

Post by thomas.fontaine »

Actually, as you may have found out yourself, my plan to built a house in Thailand is temporarly on hold, pending resolution on the usufruct issue that you are mentioning. So, I haven't used them as of today but would if I was to resume the project. I know from a friend in KL that they have been very efficient and it certainly saves you the hassle of doing it all by yourself.

The other reason why our project is on hold is that we can't manage to get quotes. I failed to understand why.
jazzman

Re: Re:

Post by jazzman »

thomas.fontaine wrote:Actually, as you may have found out yourself, my plan to built a house in Thailand is temporarly on hold, pending resolution on the usufruct issue that you are mentioning.
i did not know it was on hold - in fact I fully expected you to be well advanced with your project by now. Perhaps it is on a topic I did not subscribe to. I will check
jazzman

ll other postings with lawyer recommendations have been edi

Post by jazzman »

I seem to recall that Thomas categorically stated in a post or two back on this thread which law firm he would be using. All other postings on this board mentioning or recommending lawyers have been have been heavily edited or deleted by the Admin. I vehemently disapprove of giving a good dog a bad name, and the Admin have also given some excellent reasons on a well intended and highly entertaining thread HERE

I've edited this posting which concerned usufruct and posted the information in a new thread where it can be shared by everyone. :D

(Edited by Jazzman 25 june 2008 21:11)
Nawty

Re: finding a good lawyer

Post by Nawty »

Funny ...owners of bull terriers in Oz that have attacked children believed their dogs were little angels :mrgreen:
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Funny ...owners of bull terriers in Oz that have attacked children believed their dogs were little angels :mrgreen:
Some people always systematically complain about everyone that goes out of their way to give service.
Last edited by jazzman on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thaifly

Post by thaifly »

jazzman wrote:Have you ever been satsified with any service you have been given? Some people always systematically complain about everyone that goes out of their way to give service.
gidday to the great jazzman....its the thaifly from mae rim....from my experinces...on C.T.H. forum.....i feel THE LOVABLE NAWTY. would apply to the above?????.........its a buzzing gidday to all ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM