Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby apetley » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Today the labourers started putting down the ground beams reinforcing. These had already been partly made and were tied into the column reinforcing.
By the look of things it shouldn't take too long to complete and then the beams can be poured along with the columns themselves.
Attachments
PICT0831.jpg
apetley

Postby danblack » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:41 am

I hope you keep this post going
I particularly appreciate when you mention what should be done next
what was actually done
if or how you rectified it
price and spec's are always good too
danblack

Postby apetley » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Forgot my camera and phone again today so no pic.
All of the ground beam reinforcing was in place and most of the forms ready for the concrete pour so hopefully that will be happening soon.
Our builder had a query about the design of the stairs so we asked the friend who drew up the plans to meet us out on site.
Well after a long discussion I let slip that what I really liked was an open plan staircase. This design we have at the moment is enclosed by a wall.
No problem says the builder and the drawer of our plans. One redesign later and the insertion of an extra ground beam and we are ready to go.
So now I have the expense of some nice stainless stairails to look forward to but hopefully it'll be worth it.
apetley

Postby apetley » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Today all the ground beams were poured.
We weren't onsite as we planned which was a shame but uncle the builder told us that it was done by two mixer loads.
He plans to let them dry out for a while before pouring the groundfloor columns.
The next few days will be spent digging out more of the foootings for and getting started on the perimeter wall.
Price for that is 1400 per meter all in for a 2 meter high wall.
Attachments
IMG015.JPG
Idiot forgot his camera yet again so only mobile pics of some of the groundbeam forms after the pour.
IMG017.JPG
This is the garage. Hopefully you can make out it is on a slightly lower level than the inside of the house.
IMG018.JPG
This will be the Thai kitchen. Outdoors and again slightly lower than the inside of the house.
apetley

Postby apetley » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Wifey is in one of the local wats as it is apparently the best time to be a nun for a while so today I have been practicing my woefully inadequate Thai.
About half of the form for the groundfloor columns is in place. Looks like they may finish that early tomorrow and then they intend to pour the concrete although that may take place Friday. As I said my Thai isn't brilliant but I think that was the gist of it.
Blocks were ordered and delivered for some of the wall that will be built whilst the columns are 'curing'. Is that the right word?
Attachments
IMG019.JPG
IMG020.JPG
These two shorter columns will be the halfway part of the stairs.
apetley

Postby apetley » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:08 pm

All of the groundfloor columns have now been poured as has the halfway landing for the stairs. That looks a hefty old slab!
Just waiting now for the forms to be removed after they have been soaked for a while and then the walls can be started.
Wifey is still on her mission at the local wat so my Thai is having an uphill battle understanding the next phase of the build.
Soil from the digging of the foundations will fill in between the ground beams at some stage before the floors are poured but not sure when that will be.
Whilst the columns are soaking the builders have already made a good start on the perimeter walls, digging out most of the foundation holes.
Attachments
PICT0834.jpg
apetley

Postby apetley » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Forgot to add. Just about visible in this pic are the small reinforcing bars,poking through the forms, that will be used to tie in the walls to the columns.
Attachments
PICT0835.jpg
apetley

Postby apetley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:00 pm

The forms for the groundfloor columns have come off and now they will hopefully be kept damp for about a week.
All of the builders locally wrap the columns in plastic. I am assured this is ok and so far nobody has told me that it's inferior to a cloth wrap so here's hoping.
The soil dug out for the footings has be pushed back in between the groundbeams ready for the pouring of the floor.
Now the labourers are working on the perimeter wall.
Attachments
PICT0836.jpg
Columns are wrapped in plastic and kept moist. Now the wait before the floor goes in.
PICT0837.jpg
PICT0839.jpg
After the pour for the groundbeams. Bricks will be next followed by a pour for the columns.
PICT0840.jpg
The form is put around the rebar for the walls groundbeam and concrete poured
PICT0841.jpg
Footings are in place as is the rebar for the walls groundbeam and columns.
apetley

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:01 pm

How deep did you go for the foundations for the posrsts for the wall?
jazzman

Postby apetley » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:07 am

Hi Jazzman.
The foundation hole is about 60 cm square and I'd guess the same deep.
I have also asked for a 'buttress' every 2nd or 3rd post to be made when the posts are poured for extra strength. I have seen too many walls leaning over, Pisa style!
In the 3rd pic of the last lot you can see that the garden side is higher than the outside. At some stage soil will be pushed up against the wall to make the garden level.
apetley

Postby apetley » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:37 pm

Labourers are still hard at it on the perimeter wall and will be for at least the next few days.
I was surprised that the labourers had already poured every 5th wall post.
I queried this as I was told that the posts would be poured only after the bricks had been laid.
Was told that this was to help with the alignment as it is such a long wall, 97 meters.
Not quite sure I understand the reason, maybe a certain something was lost in translation but there you have it.
Attachments
PICT0845.jpg
PICT0842.jpg
Ground beam for the wall is in place. Just possible to make out extra rebar for the wall side support.
apetley

Postby apetley » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Until last night excellent progress on the house and perimeter wall.
All the ground beams are now in place for the sides of the wall.
Last night we had a real downpour that lasted 12 or 13 hours and was torrential the whole time.
I went to check the site this morning and it was not pretty.
The labourers 'shack' was looking decidedly the worse for wear and alot of their stuff had gotten a good soaking overnight. At least their tv was still serviceable!
The ground is very muddy and I don't see how they will be working on it until it dries out some although I guess they can continue on another part of the perimeter wall. The part that will front the road has not been started yet and the ground is still pretty dry.
apetley

Postby apetley » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Site visit today and it's amazing the difference a day, a hot bowl of rice and a bottle of Lao Kao makes!
Smiling faces all around, a site that has almost dried out and a good start made of the brick laying for the wall.
Uncle hasn't been wringing his hands so much lately so I guess the price of bricks has not gone up like that of rebar.
Wifey is not the most technical of people when it comes to interpreting any questions I have for our builder but it seems that maybe this weekend they will be putting up the rebar, forms and pouring the beams for the upstairs.
Now that seems a little strange to me as the floor downstairs has not been poured yet but from what I can gather this is the way uncle always does things and I have seen other houses built in that order too.
But then again I have seen others where the floor has gone down first and then the columns are poured.
Oh well, so long as everything is done correctly I guess it should be ok.
Uncle still reckons we should be finished some time in April well before the rainy season so I am wondering how long to wait until we start on the pool.
5-6 and a half weeks is the build time we have been quoted by a pool company but I want to wait until the house is nearly completed so that too many workers are not on site.
Decisions decisions.
apetley

Postby apetley » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:40 pm

Progress continues on the wall.
Only 5 onsite today as I think the others were back home celebrating Chinese New Year.
Attachments
PICT0848.jpg
Bricks are laid either side of the rebar. Later the post is poured around the rebar and bricks giving added strength.
PICT0847.jpg
Not sure why they used such long pieces of timber for the forms, maybe it will be reused for something else later!
apetley

Postby apetley » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:44 pm

Just had an idea why they are using such long timber for the post forms. My guess is that it will be reused as the forms for the beams at the top of the wall.
I await with anticipation!
apetley

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story