- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

ventilation

Postby rob28 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:51 pm

I am designing a house with a flat concrete roof and wondered if putting in 3 or 4 of these ventilation "spheres" would be a good idea take warm air out.

In guess they vent hot air out of the building but am not 100% sure about that.
When I was in a hardware shop one salesgirl told me that they suck air in and another salesman told me they take air out.

I am sure somebody on this forum can tell me more about these vents.

Rob
Attachments
ventilation.JPG
rob28

Postby dozer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:17 pm

There was another thread on a similar subject just a while ago. Roof venting is essential, there are a number of different types, on of the problems with the bulb type is they look more suited to a factory than a house.

http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594&highlight=vent
dozer
Site Admin

Postby rob28 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:19 pm

So I guess i am right that the bulb type is used to take air out of a building.
I am going to have a flat concrete roof with high sides of around 85 centimeters. Nobody will be abler to see what i have on the roof like watertanks and a solar water heating system.

I am just wondering if these vents are efficient. seems to me they are because they use a fanblade inside to draw they air up in contrast to a "passive" system that relies on the fact alone that hot air rises.
rob28

Postby Pluma » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:30 am

That style vent is called Rotary or Turbine Type. They do expel air out of
the building. http://www.condorvent.com.au/comparison.html.

The efficiency is dependent on the wind speed that drives the turbine which
then spin the fan blades. Also there has to be an equal amount of air
entering your house, as the fan is expelling.

These types of fans are used mainly in attics as they can be noisy.
I would not use them directly in a room that is normally occupied.

I would search for a better type of exhaust fan, as these types are
considered low cost solutions that are low in performance also.
Pluma

Roof ventilation - VENTED TILES

Postby jazzman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:32 am

CPAC Monier have just introduced a range of vents based on an original ridge tile they used for a decorative - rather kitchy - earthernware cock.
See the photos below. Or go here: http://scgweb.cementhai.co.th/products/monier/

It's based on my own solution. Maybe they saw it :?

The natural convection causes more than sufficient updraught to evacuate the hot air from the roof of a normal sized home with an attic (loft) space. The turbine topped vents are more applicable to very large buildings such as factories, large supermarkets, and warehouses which have to shift a lot of air, and do not normally have a ceiling. Too much current could also end up drawing your expensive cooled-by-aircon air out of the house even though it is heavier than the warm air it displaces.

Roof vents are not needed if the tiles are not sealed underneath by a layer of reflective foil. Hot air rises and leaks out through the gaps where the tiles overlap.
Attachments
CPAC vented tile 3.JPG
CPAC vented tile 2.JPG
CPAC vented tile 1.JPG
CPAC vented ridge tile.JPG
Last edited by jazzman on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzman

Postby dozer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:41 pm

thanks for the heads up, this fills quite a nice previously missing void here.
dozer
Site Admin

vents

Postby cruzing » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:49 pm

actually these look like the vents for your plumbing like they use in the states. Regular roof venting has to be a certain percentage based on the size of your roof . This type of vent you will usually see on the roof towards the back of the house....usually in groups......one for Kitchen sink and any sink & toilet in the house.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby pklongball » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:08 am

Ventilation is a very important component in keeping your living area comfortable,,,,,,,,,the silver dome vents are flat out ugly on a home,,,,,,,unless you can hide them on a flat roof i.e., commercial type building.
I show a PDF about how to calculate the proper venting,,,,,,,,,

The vents shown look like the stack vents for the plumbing system not for attic space venting.

I looked around the web and found some vent tiles made by MonierLifeTile,,,,Monier calls the vent system the Zephyr vent,I know these types exist here in LOS because I've seen them at HomeMart here in Pattaya.

I plan to use in my home next year,,,,,,,,,,
Attachments
VENTS-Ventilation-Guide.pdf
(160.49 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
RSC-Intallation-Brochure.pdf
(239.75 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
pklongball

Postby cruzing » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:16 am

pklongball wrote:Ventilation is a very important component in keeping your living area comfortable,,,,,,,,,the silver dome vents are flat out ugly on a home,,,,,,,unless you can hide them on a flat roof i.e., commercial type building.
I show a PDF about how to calculate the proper venting,,,,,,,,,

The vents shown look like the stack vents for the plumbing system not for attic space venting.

I looked around the web and found some vent tiles made by MonierLifeTile,,,,Monier calls the vent system the Zephyr vent,I know these types exist here in LOS because I've seen them at HomeMart here in Pattaya.

I plan to use in my home next year,,,,,,,,,,

Definitely an alternative for roofs in Thailand that don't have regular gables.
cruzing

Postby jazzman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:46 am

For ayone else who would like the information, the Monier Zephyr vented roof tiles are here:

http://www.monierlifetile.com/products/products_components.cfm?regionid=12&componentid=567&producttype=components#567

It appears to be an American website. If they are available in Thailand, they are probably imported as there is no mention of them on the CPAC Monier website.
jazzman

Postby somdet » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:48 pm

But they are in the CPAC Monier brochures. I went to a mini trade show in Korat about 4 or 5 months ago and these ventilation tiles had their own page in a CPAC Monier brochure. When I asked the sales rep about them, she told me that they were available. Tonight I am going to ask my contractor about them. I will report findings tomorrow.
somdet

Postby somdet » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:44 pm

I asked my contractor about them an dhe said they had to be special-ordered from a place called ________. The name was Chinese and I didn't catch it, but my wife did. When we go there on Monday I will get more info.
somdet

Postby jazzman » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:58 pm

If they are in the CPAC Monier cataloge, CPAC Monier being the group as cementhai and Home Mart, would it not be simpler to ask i a Home Mart store? whose flash intro to their website at http://www.cementhaihomemart.co.th/
shows, of course, first and formost, roof tiles. The site is in Thai, so it's not really much of a help, but Home Mart stores are nearly as ubiquitous as 7/eleven.
jazzman

Postby somdet » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:02 pm

No ifs necessary Jazzman. They ARE in the brochure.
To HomeMart everyone!!!
somdet

Postby thaifly » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:44 am

somdet wrote:No ifs necessary Jazzman. They ARE in the brochure.
To HomeMart everyone!!!
its a gidday to u fellas ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM ....the tile which u are talking about is cpac monier...i purchased 6 of them @ 700 baht a pop.... and as i have previosly posted w MONEY WELL SPENT.... as they look real neat and do a job ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Next

Return to roofing