Pool Maintenance costs

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Pool Maintenance costs

Postby akalat » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:59 pm

Quite some disussion here around pool construction costs.
Does anyone have any figures for their maintenance costs (running, electricity, chlorine, ozone, repair to breakdowns etc. on an ongoing basis)?
akalat

Postby dozer » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:15 pm

There is a post here on construction costs.
http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=326&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I would also be interested to hear about maintenance costs.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby t.s » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:07 pm

I too have been trying to figure this out.

you would think the information is easy to come by, but no ones talking. It is like a conspiracy.
t.s

Postby John » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:46 am

t.s wrote:I too have been trying to figure this out.

you would think the information is easy to come by, but no ones talking. It is like a conspiracy.

I used to pay 4500 / month for pool care. Its no secret, all you need to do is ask around and call a few pool companies.
John

Postby t.s » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:10 am

Thanks, I wish i had thought of that.....

Anyways, what are the rough electricity costs? and when did you used to pay it. electricity costs seem to have made a fairly significant jump of late.
t.s

Postby tintin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:53 am

I pay 1000Thb. a month for poolservice in Pattaya. They check once a week.
Regards, Tintin.
tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:09 am

My pool is now finished an working fine. :D
Attachments
DSCF0551.JPG
Wiew from the master bathroom to the pool.
DSCF0516.JPG
Daily cleaning.
Regards, Tintin.
tintin

pool service

Postby cruzing » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:15 am

tintin wrote:I pay 1000Thb. a month for poolservice in Pattaya. They check once a week.

That's a pretty good price. Are you happy with their service?

I suppose monthly fees would also depend on the size of the pool.

Cruzing
cruzing

Re: pool service

Postby tintin » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:01 am

cruzing wrote:
tintin wrote:I pay 1000Thb. a month for poolservice in Pattaya. They check once a week.

That's a pretty good price. Are you happy with their service?

I suppose monthly fees would also depend on the size of the pool.

Cruzing

The pool is just finished so we have nothing to complain about at this time. Cleaning is done when needed and every day when it rains. This is done by the couple who live in the house and looks after it when we are not there. The couple is a girl that my wife is aunt to and her boyfriend. They live for free and take care of the house. They both have other jobs to make money. It is a deal both parties are happy with. Of course the fee depends on size, and so do the electric bill :lol: Ours is 3x4x1,7 meters plus that thing, i dont know what to call it, that go out from the corner containing stairs so elder people also kan get in. That is what there was room for.
Regards, Tintin.
tintin

Postby tintin » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Newsflash. The poolservicecompany now comes 2 times a week to clean and check everything for 1200 Thb a month. 3 neighbours use the same company, hence the low price.
Regards, Tintin.
tintin

Postby peace » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:59 am

Paying 2,500 a month and they check 1 time a week but sometimes not and the pool goes green.
thinking might buy the stuff and do myself.
peace

pool maintenance costs

Postby jazzman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:30 am

The best way to find the prices of chemicals is to go to a shop and ask. if you say they are for a pool, you are telling them you are a fllthy rich farang and they will treble or quadruple the price for a gallon of chlorine.
If paying 1,000 per month for something your 8 year old son could do in five minutes every three or four days, seems a lot, a water testing kit costs about 250 baht and can be bought in Tesco Lotus.

Of course, if you live in a farang paradise like Pattaya, EVERYTHING to do with swimming pools will cost far, far more than in the rest of the country.
jazzman

MAINTENANCE COSTS

Postby jazzman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:55 pm

Have you already read : http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645 :?:

PUMPS-FILTERS:

depending where you live (the EGAT cost varies), it will cost between 720 and 1,500 baht per month to run a 1 HP pump for 8 hours per day. An ideal pump/filter combination should have the flow capacity - required by law in some countries - in 6 hours (which can be split up) every 24 hours.
Smaller pumps/filters will take longer and will wear out more quickly and will cause an increase in the use of chemicals. Here in the tropics we can expect to need up to 20% more filtration capacity than in a European climate.

If your filter and pump are matched correctly and designed to filter all your pool water in the ideal 6 hours (eg: 3 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon) it will cost less. Filtering also depends on the bathing load. If you have 20 kids pissing in the pool for 8 hours a day, then expect to pay a LOT more :lol: - up to 8 or 10 hours pumping. If the pool is only used occasionally, you and or your wife taking a 30 minute dip once every two days, you could get away with filtering for only 4 hours per 24.

CHEMICALS:
depending on the size of your pool they could be costing you between 500 and 2,500 baht per month.
Chlorene is the usual disinfectant and its efficacity also depends on maintaining a correct ph balance which may require the addition of ph+ or ph-.
It is possible to manually maintain the required constant levels of either products, but it MUST be carried out with perfect regularity.
Sunlight is the main destructor of chlorene, and severe dilution during the rainy season will require the addition of more chemicals.
Regular, frequent but necessary backwashing wastes water and the valuable elements in it.
Manual addition of chlorene will also require the manual addition of algicide.
Most of the proprietary chemicals for swimming pools are excessively overpriced because the words 'swimming pool' carry a luxury goods price tag. The same products purchased in bulk from a chemicals supplier would cost much, much less. So what are the alternatives :?:

SERVICE:
Jazzman has said enough about what he thinks on this subject here http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645

AUTOMATIC:
For a very small investment, it's possible to save :
    - The intrusion of service personnel on your property (they can't keep their mouths shut about how rich you are and what you've got).
    - The cost of all those wildly overpriced chemicals.
    - Remembering to regularly dose the pool yourself. (1 day's forgetfulness is enough to start problems).
    - Electricity costs (maybe not such a problem).

Pool firms don't like to promote the idea because it will lose them the 'regular maintenance' contract. , but for the cost* of about one year's chemicals and service, you can invest in a better media than sand in your filter unit together with a programmable saltwater chlorinator (easily retrofitted in a few minutes), programme it, then sit back and forget about your pool worries. Even go away for a few days or weeks to return to find your water sparkling clean.
:D :D :D

Cost of the chlorinator for Jazzman's pool (65,000 lites): 27,125 Baht.
Cost of Zelbrite for Jazzman's filter: 3,900 baht.
Installation time: 30 minutes incl. programmation.
See pics here: http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=0
and here: http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=1

*from about 22,000 baht depending on pool size.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Re: Pool Maintenance costs

Postby daisy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:28 am

I am also looking at pricing for pool maintenance. We are able maintain the care of our pool during the time we are home. However, we travel a lot and are in need of someone to come and take care of our pool while we are away for several weeks throughout the summer. What is a reasonable price for someone to take care of our pool for a two week time frame?
daisy

Re: Pool Maintenance costs

Postby jazzman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 am

This is a somewhat older thread, but while I'm updating a lot of info on pools, I'll answer this here:

First, check out the prices mentioned by our members in this thread and the other threads on pools.
Next get quotes from pool companies. You will find their prices vary, and depending on whether they include the cost of the chemical they add.

Ask them what their service includes:
*Do they offer a written contract?
*Do they vacuum the pool floor?
*Do they do a backwash & rinse?
*Do they test the water with digital testers?
*Do they add correctly measured quantities of chemicals?
Do they check for leaks in the plumbing and notify you if anything needs to be done. Most pump/filter systems develop leaks after a while and it may only mean that some unions need tightening or O-rings need changing.
*Do they keep a record of what they did on a clipboard in the pump house?

The best, safest, and most economical formula is to provide your own chemicals for the use of the service agent - beware of 'all or nothing' contracts. Scams abound and really poor maintenance visits are rife if the owner is not at home. I mentioned somewhere on this site already that I was once called to a pool in Pattaya that had really murky water when the owner unexpectedly returned from an absence abroad. It turned out that the 'service agent' had simply been calling next door to get a signature for the visit, but had not even entered the customer's garden. The customers of three luxury farang-owned rental properties near Krabi complained about murky pool water when they arrived. It turns out that the pools had never been serviced in the previous six months. The farang-owned service agency had just been relying on the automatic chlorinator and auto water topping up systems. The water in each pool had to be changed at a cost of ฿18,000 per pool.

A visit once a week is often sufficient for the maintenance of an average domestic pool with relatively low use - a firm that wants to come more often just wants your money. If your pool is part of a bar, resort, or housing development, it may need to be cleaned more regularly.
Backwashing is not necessary every visit and too often just wastes water and chemicals - that's why filters have a pressure gauge.
Diatomacious Earth filters should provide perfectly crystal clear water. Servicing them is messy and the filter panels inside need to be changed occasionally. Good filtration properties, but high maintenance costs. If your D.E. system is old and not performing correctly, consider having it changed for a traditional sand filter filled with Zelbriteˇ - the filtration properties are as good as D.E., the system is cheaper, and there are zero maintenance costs for powder or filter panels.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool