Building a 4-room MOTEL in Isaan

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building a 4-room MOTEL in Isaan

Postby jazzman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:24 pm

What I call a motel is a terraced row of hotel rooms, what we commonly refer to as bungalows, or a resort in Thailand.
Why do I call it a motel?
Two reasons: The other terms may not be familiar to anyone outside the country; you can park your car in front of the room.

This project is comparable in size and cost of a single storey house with three bedrooms, one bathroom, basic kitchen, and porch.

The quality is what one would expect when building a house for the in-laws, or an acceptable dwelling on a very small budget., but well finished, constructed without any errors, problems, or disputes.

View the pics, and download the BOQ with all prices.
All is finished except the painting, hanging the doors and putting the glass in the windows.
The overall internal area of this building is 80 square metres, and it comprises four rooms, each with an en suite bathroom.
Walls: rendered breezeblock.
Supporting structure is footings, ground beams, 15 x 15 cm 2.5 m pre-cast concrete columns.
Roof: 4 x 2 x 3.2 C-section steel truss with 1 x 1 battens; Oranit® 120 x 50 composite roof panels.
Ceilings: Plasterboard (sheetrock) ceilings with recesses.
Climating: Ceiling fans.
Electrics: Consumer units in all rooms, three double flush fitting sockets per room, concealed wiring, flush switches.
Lighting: Two flush downlights per room. One flush dicrotic in bathrooms. Lamps over entrance doors.
Sewage: two double-chamber septic tanks
Floors: tiled. Heavy duty PVC step-nose.
Bathroom walls: tiled full height.
Flush toilets,
Washbasins.
Shower heaters.

Costs include consumables: welding electrodes, cut-off blades, angle grinder blades, drill bits, brushes, paint rollers, formwork, etc.

Estimated construction time: 33 days
Time taken: 47 days

Budget (materials & labour) : 250,000 baht
Actual cost: (materials & labour, logistics): 257,522 baht
Cost per square metre: 3,231 baht

Other possible options for getting a similar project realised would have been:

DIY with architect plans & BOQ: 278,000 baht; cost per m2: 3,475 baht
    DIY with own plans and, professional project management, BOQ, and supervision: 320,000 baht; Cost per m2: 4,000 baht
    DIY with architect plans, professional project management, BOQ, and supervision: 348,000 baht; Cost per m2: 4,350 baht
    Thai contractor's quotation: 490,000 baht; Cost per m2: 6,125 baht

Download the BOQ with prices and sources.
BOQ bungalows.pdf
(61.03 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times

See the step-by-step progress of the project: http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbn ... =76&page=1

Re: Building a 4-room MOTEL in Isaan

Postby tung » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Am I missing something or is the BOQ all in THai?
tung

Postby geordie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:21 pm

showed thai for me also maybe jassy can put a link to english version
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby DrDave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:22 pm

A column with the English translation for each item would be most helpful!
DrDave

Postby jaytee » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:38 am

hello mr jazzman...nice to see a project of this nature on C.T.H. and in particular on a low budget scale as well...nice work...your bill of quantity is still in thai..would it be possible to have it translated to english..as i cannot read thai .. thanks jaytee
jaytee

Postby jazzman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:53 pm

Yes, Google language tools might do a free software translation of it for you, otherwise, you can check out the dozens of local translating agencies.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby developer3d » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:44 pm

software translation so its "loose"
Attachments
translation-copy.pdf
(226.78 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
developer3d

Postby MangoPin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:22 am

Much appreciated, and with a bit of imagination I guess most can be deciphered. I guess its not a joke.

Pretty amusing too, still big smile :D . How about

14 sheets cut to Toyota´s car cheap too, only 88 Baht

or

Partners calendar of year 1 year love

or

Prosecutor would handle lavatory models sweep 5 sets

A must read :D

MangoPin
MangoPin

Postby geordie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:05 am

got to admit i laughed at the tranlation but want to cry as well when you learn thai these are some of the things you might be saying if the words are so close a computer is making the mistake ??? and these are written word
geordie

Postby kknaj » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi Jazzman,

Can we see more recent pictures? I didn't see the final outside and inside views :P
kknaj

Postby jazzman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:53 pm

No. There have been too many silly comments about it so I don't feel like being very helpful any more. Any one wants a translation, go pay for one. Thai works ok for me ;)
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:02 pm

kknaj wrote:Hi Jazzman,

Can we see more recent pictures? I didn't see the final outside and inside views :P

jazzman wrote:No. There have been too many silly comments about it so I don't feel like being very helpful any more. Any one wants a translation, go pay for one. Thai works ok for me ;)

The last 'caller' asked for pictures and fortunately they don't need translating ...

however ....

I am surprised you took offence over the translation issue ... everybody, whose opinions counts, on CTH values greatly the contribution you have made to the site's information base over the years. Life can get too serious and amused reactions to 'loose' translations [not yours in this instance] are universal amongst those who understand English ... and are maybe a bit bored ... possibly such amusement is all the more needed by those whose wives and g'fs ... who speak and read Thai ... have suddenly deserted them!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby otis-a » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:05 pm

reminds me of a fellow i saw one time bumming a cigarette. After the bum gets his fag he turns round and asks any body got a light? So one guy says yea and u want me to smoke the cigarett for you also?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby kknaj » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:06 pm

jazzman wrote:No. There have been too many silly comments about it so I don't feel like being very helpful any more. Any one wants a translation, go pay for one. Thai works ok for me ;)

I understand your feelings. It seems to be unavoidable to get d... heads commenting on forums... especially the thai visa type websites (not the name any in particular :? )

Luckily however this forum has a minimum of those types and the majority are genuinely interested and give real contributions. Even if some people feel compelled to make snide comments or jokes on projects outside their reality ;) I.e, how inexpensively could you build accommodation and how fast could it be built. That's my interest in the Motel even if I'm not going to be living in it. Its still very interesting. I wont even try to read something in Thai. I'm a few years away from that. Im more interested in the over view.
kknaj

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:26 pm

what you have to look for is the embedded heckling that was done elswhere on the forum
the majority of it by one party then supported by a couple of sheep i had the pleasure of meeting jazman when he visited me in chayaphum
Some time in life you take one look at somone and think hmmm don,t like/trust him
Jazman is the oposite a wealth of knowledge on all subjects not just building houses
he actually sat down with me and priced up the cost of the motel we were at 38 rooms just as part of a conversation when the owner joined us for a drink and confirmed the build cost within a couple of thousand baht it convinced me
He gave me a lot of advice in the short time of his visit which helped me through my build without too many problems all free and he had travelled a good few miles to be there
When i joined the forum i had a couple of months for reasearch on thai construction
material prices he helped me through all of that to the extent i thought he was the forum
the prices he gave me i aimed for and in a lot of cases got them but the cynical atitude you can somtimes get is usually because he has advised something correctly but its not the price you are used to seeing / paying that does not make HIM wrong
geordie

Next

Return to Your Building Story