finding a good lawyer

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

Nawty

Re: finding a good lawyer

Post by Nawty »

Really !!! How would you know that ?

I complain about poor and inadequate and incompetent service and work.

If you do not, then in my opinion you are a mug or a fool....just get ready to be taken advantage of again and again if that is your attitude.

I spend money for a job well done, if it is not well done then I do something about it...simple really.

Unless of course you have all turned thai and do not want to complain about anything to make the other party feel bad or upset them and you wear yellow shirts on mondays to fit in.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Nawty wrote:Really !!! How would you know that ?
It just seems that you are surrounded by more than your fair share of incompetency. it may be just a Bangkok syndrome.
Nawty

Post by Nawty »

Oh you mean me and the million other people that complain about stuff.

Its nice to know that you are happy with mediocre as this translates to no complaints from you for anything.

Excellent.

How many examples would you like me to give you and we can let the other forum members vote on each as to if they would accept or not accept these problems.

Besides, you would not know anywhere near the good or the bad things that go on around me, so why make such a stooopid comment....except for of course the failed lawyers you stick up for.
cfhebertjrphayao

Post by cfhebertjrphayao »

Try www.issanlawyers.com, Sebastien Brousseau did my usufruct in Phayao. No problems. Reasonable price in my book. They came to me in Phayao and they always reply to my email and questions without charging for each communication or opinion. Sebastien has a Thai wife and Thai associate but he speaks Thai. All documents were in duel language.

Good luck.
Nawty

Post by Nawty »

How much ?

I got a price from him that was not reasonable in my opinion.

And how far is Phayao from Korat ?
cfhebertjrphayao

20000 baht is reasonable in my opinion. It included 2 properties. I think it does not matter the number of properties. One can be done as easily and included for the same price as 5.

Korat is about 9 - 10 hours from Phayao. What little I have seen of Isaan does not impress me like Phayao. Too flat.
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Isaan is roughly square in shape, approximately 400x 400 Km and an area about the size of England (for those who are unaware of the distinction: without Wales and Scotland).
It is bisected on a straight north-south line by the Mittraphap Highway which goes from Saraburi just north of BKK, through the cities of nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Khon kaen, Udon Thani, to end at the Friendship Bridge on the Thai-Lao border in Nong Khai. it then continues to link Vientiane, the capital of Laos.

The eastern half of Isaan is decidedly flat with jut a few low hills around Mukdahan and other small areas.
The western half, starting at about 80 - 100 Km west of the highway is extremely mountainous with much jungle and contains some of the country's most important nature reserves and national parks.

An impressive mountain range from the Cambodian border through the provinces of Sa Kheao, Pratchin Buri to just northeast of Saraburi marks the southern border of the Korat Plateau.
Nawty

Post by Nawty »

cfhebertjrphayao wrote:20000 baht is reasonable in my opinion. It included 2 properties. I think it does not matter the number of properties. One can be done as easily and included for the same price as 5.

Korat is about 9 - 10 hours from Phayao. What little I have seen of Isaan does not impress me like Phayao. Too flat.
Everybodies perception of reasonable is different.

In my books I would never pay someone 20k to do that. Nor would I pay 10/15k for a Last Will and Testament.
cfhebertjrphayao

Dear Nawty,

Hence my statement..."In my opinion" Nothing like stating the obvious.

So...what would be reasonable in Your opinion and please tell me where I can have it done cheaper.

I really only have to take what has already been done for me and duplicate it on my own or with a cheaper attorney, locally in Phayao.
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

I really only have to take what has already been done for me and duplicate it on my own or with a cheaper attorney, locally in Phayao.
A complete breakdown of the costs and procedure involved is in the topic starter on THIS THREAD.

It is to be noted that the travelling time and costs are the lion's share of the fee. If one competent lawyer is clever enough to be the only one to advertise his service, then maybe the travelling costs are justified for client peace-of-mind. Nakhon Ratchasima is certainly not a prime location for servicing the entire country at a reasonable cost.
The cost - cheap/reasonable/expensive - is a also relative to one's own disposable income.
However, and I'll say it again, provided the Land Office in your province will entertain a usufruct (some won't), anyone, not even necessarily a lawyer, can do this. The instructions, step-by-step, are listed in the above thread.
cfhebertjrphayao

Jazzman,

That was and absolutely fabulous thread you showed me. And yes, to others, part of the reason I used an attorney to do the work was to alleviate me from the hassle and it was a small price to pay based on my income. No one (attorney or person) in Phayao knew of the concept. I also do not like to throw money away.

All I had to do is show up at the land office on my rotation in country and sign the documents. My wife xferred the half the cash prior to settlement.

And no, the Phayao land office had never heard of the Usufruct but they had absolutely no trouble in executing it. I will do it again by offering a local attorney a mere pittance to do the work. If they don't want the $50 or $100 to do it, I can do my own based on my experience and the input from your posting.

I believe in paying for service and not trying to be a cheap Charlie. I am embarrassed to pay my wife's friend 200 baht for a day's work but then I have been told this is above the going rate. I would gladly pay 10 times that for his help. So instead I gave him a watch purchased in Qatar for 2500 baht. He was ecstatic and I have earned a good helper.

No, I do not believe other postings that the contract can be dissolved by divorce.

And no to others, I do not believe my attorney fleeced me. He has given me advice on other issues where he could not ensure success and it did not cost me a dime. Value is deeper than cost. Does that sound dumb?
Nawty

Post by Nawty »

I am just stating that I would not pay that amount of money for that particular service. If you got a whole lot of extra bits and pieces with it, then well and good and only you can judge it.

My lawyer quoted me from memory 7k and that was travelling from Bkk to the area about 2 to 2 and a half hours away. I thought that a little expensive, but ok if I have to do it.

Whereas someone travelling 1 hour for it and charging double, is in my book not money well spent.

Good luck with it...
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

cfhebertjrphayao wrote:Jazzman,
That was and absolutely fabulous thread you showed me... ...I do not believe my attorney fleeced me. He has given me advice on other issues where he could not ensure success and it did not cost me a dime. Value is deeper than cost. Does that sound dumb?
It does not sound dumb at all. I concur entirely - in hindsight of the comments in my postings on this and the other thread - and as I know the lawyer personally, I can vouch for his knowledge of real estate issues.
Nawty wrote: ...Whereas someone travelling 1 hour for it and charging double, is in my book not money well spent.
And I agree with this too. In Herbert"s case, a huge distance was involved and the cost didn't even reflect this - he could have charged 1,000 baht per hour for the driving time :wink:
Nevertheless, there would be someone closer who could have done this - but they don't advertise, at least not in the right places.