Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff

Postby Saffles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:04 pm

I am not talk about the bread and butter Chevys... The conversation was about Corvettes and Camaro. Just do a check on shortest braking distances.

The old cars could stop and go and handle if you did a few tweeks. My firebird and I visited Herb Adams (one of the original Firebird engineers) and his VSE shop in Monterrey and a few things made a difference.

Yes, your Falcon was a ripper in its day... But modern engines, chassis, and tires are a class above.
Saffles

Re: Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Here's a ride for the young at heart built in my home province. Is it a car or motorcycle?

It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 pm

All the work on my BMW 525i has been finally completed. It has a totally new cooling system including new radiator, electric fan and pump with a new thermostat that is incorporated into the cap of the reserve tank. The internals of the transmission have been replaced which the Stealer wanted about 300,000 for and that was for a reconditioned one that would have meant changing all the numbers at the DMRT. The bodgy wiring has all been sorted, resoldered and actually works the onboard computer. The brakes have had larger pistons added as well as ventilated disks and the whole system including the two brake lines with flexible high pressure hoses have been replace and new DOT 4 hydraulic brake fluid added after the old junk was flushed from the system.
I have had other minor repairs carried out to the front and rear end and it now steers like it should.
If you are considering buying a secondhand BMW in Thailand make sure it comes with log books. I have started from the word go replacing all the things that could and did go wrong with it from the word go and I have a bounty on the head of the previous owner who only polished the outside. I have stopped using the Stealers except for services as I refuse to pay 4 times the price that an independent charges and the independent has all the computer equipment that the Stealer has.
I was prepared to spend 300,000 on getting it in top working order and a trip to Khou Yai national park on the last holiday proved it is in top running condition, including the emergency braking for trucks that wandered across three lanes. It has all come under my target of 300,000 on top of the 700,000 baht I paid.
Insurance is cheap because it has a 5 star NCAP rating and 10 airbags and the difference between a bone shaking ride in a small car and a ride as smooth as silk on Thailand's roads is astounding. Unfortunately cruise control only works for 10 minutes and then you get behind a woman driver in the fast (110 KPH) lane doing 60 and the car automatically adjusts to her speed.
The car is absolutely superb with power that will sink your eyeballs back in your head and make them bulge in emergency stops. Overall the car drives like a dream and I can finally tolerate the idiot Thai drivers.
The most impressive feature during heavy braking is all the seats belts tighten, the leather seats wrap around you and you know you can stop before an accident happens. Give me a BMW any day for the same cost as a new small car and the mileage is better at 16 KP per litre on a trip and 14 KPL in city driving.
And if you drive like me then all you do is put the gear lever through the gate and into sports mode and sit back and enjoy the fun.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 pm

Had the inheritance from our parent's house coming in last July. After 11 years in Thailand, and the wife pregnant, I thought finally to get a Thai driving license. Getting the license was absolutely hilarious and already worth the money I paid to get a car...

So back to the car, I don't believe in buying a new car. The moment you drive out of the gate, you've lost pretty much 20% of the money you paid. Took me 7 years to convince the wife on that, but she's happy with her 2nd hand car and knows she'll not get a new one on my account ever.

But, getting back to the car, since the wife has a Ford Fiesta, good friend of mine drives a Focus, I had a good look at Ford. For quite some time I had my sights set on a Ranger, but with our July new-born, the wiser of me dismissed that and I started looking at the Everest. New model is too young, but the last model cars are an absolute steal!

Got myself a 2014 Everest 2.5l with 40k on the clock for 635k.
Previous owner? Ford factory!..
I know the shortcomings of the older model Everest, but with a 2.5l Turbo Diesel, it's an absolute joy driving it. I'm doing about 65km p/day, lots of traffic, stop and go. Still, driving normally, I get between 10 & 11 km p/liter. Going out to the family in Petchaburi, I'm getting 12-13km p/liter.
Engine bay is huge, easy access to everything and after initial service with the local Ford garage, I checked after 5k and oil and other fluids are still just over 100%.
Using the Ford calendar/service-cost and the write-of estimated at 100k p/year, I'm driving the car including diesel and all the service cost for about 7,500 Baht p/month.

Aside from the cost, I'm 1.92m tall, and I can literally stretch my legs driving and the 2nd row still has no problems with cramped space or whatever.

Best part.. anyone of those idiots tailgating me.. They'd bump into the spare-wheel cover damaging the paint of their precious dickhead Honda's bonnet and whatever.. for me? Who cares, take off the tire-cover in a year or 2 and have it replaced or spray-painted. They wont reach my car's bumper / lacquer... :lol:

IMG_7455.JPG

IMG_7454.JPG

IMG_7452.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Hmm, pictures upside down.. But can you imagine getting 10-11 kilometres per liter of Diesel like that from your car?! :mrgreen:
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:22 pm

Well, clicking them shows them properly..
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:00 pm

schuimpge wrote:Well, clicking them shows them properly..

It certainly does. A fair price too and as it came from the Stealers it should have log books. The only major problem with the Fords are the double clutch which the experts say is a terminal design. Has a good NCAP rating too, but a little shy on the airbags (Nataka), but still a good buy at that price.
May you have many good years of driving it trouble free.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks RR, very happy driving it.
At least, I won't worry much about bumps and holes in the roads, strong chassis, although not the most comfortable maybe.
But for a basically 15 year old design, it's sure keeping up quite well.

Got 4 airbags, which beats most other cars that are more than 5 years old, and with its big size, should scare some others to get too close...lol.

Transmission, yep, a bit of lag in shifting, especially when you drive considerate for fuel consumption. Drive more aggressive and it's hardly noticed. After a while driving I pretty much adapted to it and it pretty much is unnoticeable now.

Good thing is that the design is based on the Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50, so no shortage of spare-parts in the long run as well.
For now it's just full service with Ford, not all that much at 4.5-5k per 10,000km

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:59 pm

schuimpge wrote:But for a basically 15 year old design, it's sure keeping up quite well.

Ford have been rather slack over the last 15 years, along with the rest of them, the Koreans are the only ones keeping pace besides the big boys like BMW and Mercedes and Mercedes have decided to forget about quality control and just roll them off the floor. I had a look at a Mercedes 500 S at the motor show and they only let me near it because I flashed my BMW key and I could fit my key into gaps between panels and when I asked them why, they just shrugged. If there was one car I wouldn't have shown it was that Mercedes.
schuimpge wrote:Transmission, yep, a bit of lag in shifting, especially when you drive considerate for fuel consumption. Drive more aggressive and it's hardly noticed. After a while driving I pretty much adapted to it and it pretty much is unnoticeable now.

When that lag becomes a jerk or it can't decide on first or second, then the double clutch is just about gone. The problem is in the design and they have lawsuits running in Australia and America at the moment. You would think they would fix the damned problem by redesigning it, but no, they just ignore the problem.
There is never a shortage of spare parts. BMW have 4 certified spare parts makers, it's the bloody Dealers (Stealers) that quadruple the price of them, after the maker gets his cut as well. I made a deal with my mechanic that only the authorised German made parts go in the car and I would pay the extra. He's been true to his word and shows me the parts all stamped in German and English before he puts them in.... and one of those failed.
Those holes in the road destroy the suspension, but at least I get a beautiful ride while it's going on.
If they replace engine oil or fluids make sure you check that they have done it. In England (and Thailand) they are claiming to have done a full service but have left in the old oils. There's some investigative videos on Youtube about it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 pm

ah..Wait RR, the dual-clutch (power shift as ford calls it) was only introduced in 2010 and the Everest (old model) was never upgraded with it. The Everest only had cosmetic changes, so I'm not affected by that. What I have is more a bit of a lag from 1 to another gear. Like it's just slow to shift up or down at a lower rev-point. This was also mentioned in numerous test-drives by motor/car magazines. Slow shift..bit of a lag between shifts
As I mentioned, a bit more spirited driving mostly clears that out and from what I can see, my milage p/liter profits from it as well.

What I did find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWMliD_3s3o
Very interesting video. Learning/Adaptive software that you can reset to clear bad habits from the driver before you.
Got a couple of CAN Bus scanners, 1 of them a ForScan compatible, so need to look into it a bit more.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 pm

schuimpge wrote:Very interesting video. Learning/Adaptive software that you can reset to clear bad habits from the driver before you.
Got a couple of CAN Bus scanners, 1 of them a ForScan compatible, so need to look into it a bit more.

There is currently floating around the internet a device that plugs into all the (claimed standard) computer connectors in all cars, designed by two engineers who were sick and tired of Stealers having the only computers capable of giving a readout and it's going for peanuts. I actually asked my mechanic about them and he laughed. He showed me two laptops that, one that is good for BMW, Volvo and Mercedes......but, they give limited data and less than the computer you actually have on the main consul. The second one he showed me was much more complex and all in English, but still lacked many features. The el cheapo versions touted on the internet give less than you get on the main on-board computer, and the problem there is they have mostly been set at BMW Thailand and certain features locked out, even though they show up as be able to turn on and off, they are permanently turned off.
The service people take it to another BMW shop that has a mainframe to get the full readings and even they can't activate the turned off items. If it had been slated for Europe or another country these would all be able to be turned on. I.E. Satnav, but as Thailand (at the time) didn't have a decent satnav system BMW Thailand blocked that by not putting in the chip.
If I take it to a special tuning shop run by a farang I can get all the chips and system update at a huge cost (as explained previously), but the fact that sports mode is now activated will keep me happy for a while.
Also all the bad habits of the previous driver have been rectified slowly but surely and I now have total confidence in being able to take it from 0 to 100 the way it was designed to do it and I can boot it down a gear or two if I want to get the eyeballs pushed into the back of my head or make them bulge on stopping quickly. In other words it's not being driven by a lazy Thai who didn't work the engine.
If your interested in videos on Youtube telling it like it is then just feed in Auto Expert and you'll come up with John Cadogan who gives out sensible advice along with a lot of bad language. As he's a real Automotive Engineer and not just a mechanic and calls it as it is, the automotive industry have tried to have him banned, but to no avail. He'll even tell you about the other so called automotive journalists and the perks they got for giving a good review, when in fact the car was crap.
Few Automakers will loan him cars anymore, which is a shame as he calls a spade a spade and not a shovel. He'll give you all the updates to cars and what hasn't been updated and the best value for money, he'll also tell you what not to buy and the reasons why.
The Koreans are offering an 11 year warranty on their cars, it's just a pity you can't buy them in Thailand.
Roger Ramjet

Previous

Return to Friendly Banter