Cpac slab flooring

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Cpac slab flooring

Postby EarlOfChanthashire » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:25 am

Hi, We are having a balcony made 13m x 4m over our riverfront. We are using cpac slabs. I am not sure if on top of the cpac slabs we should pour concrete - let the concrete dry, then put our tiles on top. As the concrete on which the tiles are laid in Thailand is about 1.5 inch thick to start with, I'm wondering if we can avoid pouring the concrete first and lay tiles straight onto the cpac slabs with about 1.5 concrete to bed the tiles on. We are not driving anything over on this balcony its purely for sitting and standing on while drinking beer! Thanks in advance
EarlOfChanthashire

Re: Cpac slab flooring

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:15 pm

EarlOfChanthashire wrote:Hi, We are having a balcony made 13m x 4m over our riverfront. We are using cpac slabs.

You don't say what is supporting the balcony, especially as it's on the water front.
If it is a stand alone attached to the house then remember for every 1 metre that extends out you need 2 metres back into the house itself.
You also don't say how you are going to join it to the existing house. Sorry to make it complicated, but it is.
Roger Ramjet

Re: Cpac slab flooring

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:25 pm

EarlOfChanthashire wrote:Hi, We are having a balcony made 13m x 4m over our riverfront. We are using cpac slabs. I am not sure if on top of the cpac slabs we should pour concrete - let the concrete dry, then put our tiles on top. As the concrete on which the tiles are laid in Thailand is about 1.5 inch thick to start with, I'm wondering if we can avoid pouring the concrete first and lay tiles straight onto the cpac slabs with about 1.5 concrete to bed the tiles on. We are not driving anything over on this balcony its purely for sitting and standing on while drinking beer! Thanks in advance

I haven't seen that CPAC make floor slabs.
However if you mean the genetic concrete floor slabs that cost about 125baht a metre then it will very much depend on the span. If you are much over a metre spans the yes you should put down a rebar mesh then pour a slab on top. The usual cheep concrete slabs are not strong by themselves. The thick mortar bed Thai tilers use adds no strength to the floor, it's just to get the tiles level.
Sometimewoodworker

Return to cement, concrete and mortar