A Hardcore Question

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

A Hardcore Question

Postby Bangyai » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:30 pm

One or two of you might be following my Petchabun bungalow thread but as this is something others might be interested in I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

In Thailand , whenever I read about somebody building an access road or garage etc concrete and rebar always feature but I never see anything about hardcore. As far as I can recall , back in England , hardcore often takes the place of rebar for non industrial projects.

So.....my question is this . At the end of our build there is going to be a lot of q con block cuttings and odd lengths of rebar plus other detritus left over. I need to have a driveway and car stand so was hoping to put all this waste to good purpose and use it as a hardcore base before laying about 7 cm of concrete over the top. This instead of ordering too much extra rebar. This would put the waste to good use and leave everywhere a lot tidier. Is there any reason why this would not be a good idea ?
Bangyai

Re: A Hardcore Question

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Bangyai wrote:his would put the waste to good use and leave everywhere a lot tidier. Is there any reason why this would not be a good idea ?

Not if you compacted it first.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Bangyai » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Yes indeed. Never thought I would want to know a bunch of obese Harley riders but could use such friends right now. Alternatively , could just get the son in law to drive up and down over it with his pickup to press it down a bit. I also thought that it would help if I slowed down the curing by keeping it damp and not attempting to park on it for about 3 weeks.
It's not so much a cheapskate thing but rather I hate to see such waste. Got a bit of metal left over too , mostly in lengths of 3 feet or less. Plan to have Ken cut and weld these to the roof frame to provide additional maintenance platforms. The central walkway I had welded up there has spread proved to be a good idea so a little more wil help.

Anyway....thanks again Roger for the input and for agreeing it can be done.
Bangyai

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:50 pm

Bangyai wrote:Yes indeed. Never thought I would want to know a bunch of obese Harley riders but could use such friends right now.

If you are down Bangkok way, notably Nontharburi you could always call into my house and I will gladly loan you a wacker plate..... a motorised compactor. Much better than having oil leaking Harleys all over the place.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri May 01, 2015 3:46 am

Bangyai wrote:Yes indeed. Never thought I would want to know a bunch of obese Harley riders but could use such friends right now. Alternatively , could just get the son in law to drive up and down over it with his pickup to press it down a bit. I also thought that it would help if I slowed down the curing by keeping it damp and not attempting to park on it for about 3 weeks.
It's not so much a cheapskate thing but rather I hate to see such waste. Got a bit of metal left over too , mostly in lengths of 3 feet or less. Plan to have Ken cut and weld these to the roof frame to provide additional maintenance platforms. The central walkway I had welded up there has spread proved to be a good idea so a little more wil help.

Anyway....thanks again Roger for the input and for agreeing it can be done.

You can rent a hand operated industrial grade thumper/compactor for about ฿700 per 24 hours, SWMBO has just been pricing some building rental equipment. They have smaller versions for less but the big one isn't much more money in the short term and they say is much more effective.
Attachments
image.jpg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Bangyai » Fri May 01, 2015 6:50 am

Thanks both of you for the answers and Roger for offering to lend me his wacker. However , I feel if I put that in the back of my little coupe I would be pulling a wheely all the way back to Petchanun.

STWW ....... That's an interesting looking catalogue of lesser spotted tools. Most of the local builders would sooner slit their wrists with a broken Lao Kao bottle then invest any of their hard earned cash in any labor saving tools.

Ms bangyai ( GOP ) is also now taking an interest and suggested it could also be used for a garden path out the back which would not carry so much weight as a car.......another possibility. Anything rather than throw it away.
Bangyai

Return to cement, concrete and mortar