Marble or granite like render

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Marble or granite like render

Postby Psychic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:57 pm

I was in HomeMart today. I saw a kind of marble-ized render that, they called "chaap cow". Basically 2 parts of one cement with 1 of another. One bag had a toger on it and another said "calcite". Can't figure out how to post it from my iPhone. I know it's on here somewhere.....in the meantime.

The sample they had hanging on the wallactually looked/felt pretty good, like a glazed stone finish. I was thinking it might look good for facing bathroom vanities/ kitchen workstations.

But when I asked I was told it was only available in white even though the demonstration photos shower other colors. So does anyone know anything about this product and how or if it can be colored to match countertops etc.

TIA.
Chris.
Psychic

Re: Marble or granite like render

Postby Marlon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:54 pm

psychic, this may be the gear you have been looking at. It is a smooth skim coat, and goes over the render, at a thickness of .5mm.
It smooths out all the rough texture, and is very easy to apply. We have had to buy different brands, because some shops have only a little bit. The paint costs should be down, and time quicker I would think. We start to paint tomorrow, so I'll see how it turns out. Cheers

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG

Weber brand and crocodile brands are basically same stuff. I'm very happy we were guided to this stuff by the paint crew. Smooth as. It was fairly cheap, because it covers a large surface area.
Attachments
IMG_2025.JPG
Marlon

Postby Psychic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks Marlon,
Looks like a good product to have. I will probably end up using it for my walls. I like the idea of nearly perfectly smooth walls.
But what I was trying to fish out is a way to make render look like granite or marble. What I was thinking of doing was having kitchen work stations and bathroom vanities built with brieze block and render and putting a granite top on. From what I have seen the standard way to finish the bottom, around the doors etc. was with tiles. I was trying to get away from tiles and have a natural stone look finish without actually paying for it. The white marble look from Tiger calcite will work in the bathrooms where I think white will be fine. In the kitchen area, however, I was looking at a different colour.
So, if in fact, you can not colour it I am perhaps going to experiment with either acid or acrylic stained concrete and try to get a natural stone look.
I found this company in Thailand. I think I'll order a little and maybe play around on a concrete planter or something to see how it comes out. For whatever reason, I can't open their home page. Here's a price list fOr acrylic stain.

http://www.econovathai.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=96

Otherwise I'm back to maybe having large tiles cut with a trim feature to hide the fact that they're tiles. All new to me so I'm just trying to work it out before I actually have to try and explain it to my Issan BIL when we get around to it.
Psychic

Postby MGV12 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:02 pm

Marlon wrote:psychic, this may be the gear you have been looking at. It is a smooth skim coat, and goes over the render, at a thickness of .5mm.
It smooths out all the rough texture

This is possibly the nearest you will get here to a traditional British plaster skim. It would take a skilled 'renderer' to get a really flat and smooth finish [though they say it can be sanded] likely to work best with matt-finish paints to avoid surface variations being too obvious.

http://www.cera.co.th/uploads/products/files/RA_2.pdf

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby pipoz » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Marlon wrote:psychic, this may be the gear you have been looking at. It is a smooth skim coat, and goes over the render, at a thickness of .5mm.
It smooths out all the rough texture, and is very easy to apply. We have had to buy different brands, because some shops have only a little bit. The paint costs should be down, and time quicker I would think. We start to paint tomorrow, so I'll see how it turns out. Cheers

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG

Weber brand and crocodile brands are basically same stuff. I'm very happy we were guided to this stuff by the paint crew. Smooth as. It was fairly cheap, because it covers a large surface area.

Hi Marlon

What brand and what Product did you use for your External Wall Render?

Was the external wall render mix it a bag mix?

If you used a Bag mix, can you remember approximately how much per bag and what type of coverage you got out of one Bag, i.e. how may m2 of render per bag, just approx?

Did it have an already added waterproof additive? or did you apply a Sealer Coat of some type after the render had dried?

Pipoz
pipoz

Postby Psychic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:12 pm

I wrote to the acid stain place in Bangkok. Apparently acid stain will work with this smooth render. Covered in polyurethane sealer it should give a nice polished stone like appearance. Well that's the theory anyway :-)
I will maybe try to get a small sample and try on some concrete planters or whatever to see how it turns out. I've seen some remarkable looking work done with acid stains on large floor areas on the Internet but not so much done on rendered walls.
Psychic

Postby Marlon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:36 pm

I don't know too much about the properties of the product, as I left it up to the painters. I have found that I regularly overthink things, and end up costing myself more money. This crew have done our bathrooms and other tiling as well, and appear to be very professional, and cheap. I would think that there was no sealer in the skim coat, because they bought sealer paint. Another thing I left up to them. The 25 kg bags of Crocodile brand were 460 baht from megahome on highway 331. Smaller bags were much cheaper locally. So, 6 big bags, and maybe ten small, maybe 6000 baht for the whole house.

10723385_289077071291830_2103018380_n.jpg

10714841_285753724957498_2038032999_n.jpg

10711353_285753704957500_663706814_n.jpg

I have been back in Australia for three weeks for work, so I have missed the paint being applied. I fly back home tomorrow, and see how it turned out. Cheers guys.
Marlon

Return to cement, concrete and mortar