- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

guttering

Postby russ » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:45 pm

i am looking at getting guttering fitted to my house does anyone know price is it per mt i have seen it around looks like alley or steel

thanks
russ

Postby John » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:50 am

The price for galvanised guttering varies immensely for the same quality product.

200 – 600 baht / M installed. Complexity of the job will vary the price.

Joints and outlets are soldered using a hot iron or torch. This is possible because the zinc coated steel is perfect for soldering.

-
John

Guttering Solutions

Postby jazzman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:04 am

Having a large hip roof and wanting to keep the heavy rain water well away from my foundations without compromising on aesthetics, I have chosen glassfibre guttering from E.G.O Fiber Co.Ltd.
It comes with a choice of 3 different profiles, one is a standard round form, the two others provide a decorative cornice.
Three colors a re available, white, cream, brown
Available from HomePro, prices are:
Guttering, 4 metres: 2,200
Downpipe, 4 metres: 1520
Corner piece: 460
End piece: 460
Gutter to down-pipe: 360.
Fixing accessories will work out at approx 100 baht per metre.
Installation is so simple you will have done it yourself in the time it takes to explain it to a chang.
It's not quite as cheap as traditional galvanised guttering, but it looks really nice.
There is also a manufacturer of PVC guttering, they also make rather kitchy looking PVC fences, but do some very nice doors and windows. Their products are very expensive, but here is their website: http://www.windsor.co.th/

An alternative solution is to buy 4m lengths of 4" (100mm) blue, low density PVC pipe, cut it very neatly in half longitudinally with an angle grinder to get two 4m lengths, do the same with Ts and elbows and use 55mm or 65mm blue PVC for downpipes. It can be painted. This is what I am panning to do for my bungalows.
Cost? About 1/4 of galavanised guttering and downpipes.
jazzman

Re: Guttering Solutions

Postby apetley » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 pm

jazzman wrote:
An alternative solution is to buy 4m lengths of 4" (100mm) blue, low density PVC pipe, cut it very neatly in half longitudinally with an angle grinder to get two 4m lengths, do the same with Ts and elbows and use 55mm or 65mm blue PVC for downpipes. It can be painted. This is what I am panning to do for my bungalows.
Cost? About 1/4 of galavanised guttering and downpipes.

Any suggestions as to a suitable method of fixing this type of gutter in place?
apetley

Postby jazzman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:37 am

Any of the standard pipe clamps of the right diameter. But it is also easy enough to bend metal strips to shape, weld a small fixing plate to them and screw them to the fascia board.
jazzman

Postby somdet » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:02 am

Jazzman- Are you sure that the price of that fiberglass guttering is per 4m lengths? I asked about it about a month ago, when it was brand new at the HomePro in Chonburi, and they gave me the same prices you have posted, only they said that was per linear meter. I, of course, decided against it at such ridiculous prices, but if it is only 25% of that, I will go out there today after work.

Also, where does one find the galvanized gutters?
Thanks in advance.
somdet

Postby jazzman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:27 pm

They probably saw you coming :wink:

The prices are of course for the 4 metre lengths. Take a look at the Windsor stuff I mentioned, too.

Fibreglass and PVC guttering compares favourably with the good quality stainless steel guttering and downpipes.

There is really no better solution than going to places and asking for prices, but send your Thai wife, and keep yourself hidden from the sales people :D
jazzman

Re: Guttering Solutions

Postby AussieBoy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:43 pm

apetley wrote:Any suggestions as to a suitable method of fixing this type of gutter in place?

I used 150mm pipe better size for the amount of water we get here in Thai, I fix the PVC to the facia with gal screws every 300mm screwed through the top of the PVC curve just under the roof sheeting, I then used the down pipes 50mmPVC to help hold up the main gutter, A work of art see photo, a strap 30mm wide fixed to the gutter and to the facia every 500mm will do the job just as well. Not a good shot of the gutter fixed in place

I also use the PVC filled with concrete for fence post. and used 25mm PVE with 8mm steel reo filled for the front fence, no rusting or expensive Stainless, 5 years get sick of colour repaint different

The pipe work under the house, being fitted, the vertical pipes come from the gutters down to the lower 150mm pipe running under the home, the junctions are all set in place ready to take the horizontal 150 pipe.

The theory is the rain will wash off the dust on the roof into the down pipes, then into the storage 150 pipe, once filled the water will back up the down pipes to the higher outlet down pipe into the water jars or tanks, as clean water.

The 150 storage pipe holdes 150lt/ at some time after the rain there is a stop tap at the lower end of the 150 pipe, can be used for general watering or just flush the pipe out when turned on, ready to take another 150lt of dirty water, this system is refered to as The First Flush system, you can get other types that will dirvet water with a electric sensor solinord, I just used the always works turn the tap off/on system

The big day tomorrow will be to show the top half of all this Farang pipe work, as the workers scratch theirs heads trying to figure out why so much pipe work

Its not just pipe work, It's work of Art also, must match in so Bugs Bunny will feel at home.
My Looney Tunes Home
Attachments
fence2.jpg
gutter 2.jpg
gutter 3.jpg
fence.jpg
fence.jpg (4.12 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
gutter.jpg
gutter.jpg (2.75 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
AussieBoy

Re: guttering

Postby thaifly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:48 pm

ITS A GIDDAY TO aussie boy ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM....would nt it be more simplier and easier to have a bore water well...and a normal water system..in place ... THAN YOUR WATER CONTRAPTION... ITS APPEARS TO BE OUT OF WATER WORLD... its SCRAMBLED THAIFLY...GIDDAY TO ALL ....its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Re: guttering

Postby AussieBoy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:17 pm

Not much extra work in place to do what I did, farang 200mt down road spent 150,000Bt putting his well tanks pumps ETC, to date I spent 25,000 to get clean roof water, and a different look, most people would probably just have put 2 x 3" down pipes in and put the first flush system under ground or use the stormwater pipe to the street, I used 2" pipes and more of them as a feature, I will be able to collect at 150,000lt a year from the roof water, a larger tank will go down the back yard at a later stage, should not have to rely on getting town water, or bores clogging up, my system is low maintance. If you dont like the look you can conseal all the piep work, then it would look like any other home.

There is also another reason I put all the 2" pipes in, if you look at the photo you can see they are all perfect in line, at a later stage I will put supports between the pipes and give my self a planter box and extra shade/ cooling looking out the windows, a picture will do it justic when complete

Building in fun
AussieBoy

Return to roofing