Team of good Thai builders available NOW

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Team of good Thai builders available NOW

Postby jazzman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:49 pm

One of the most frequent questions posted on this board is where to find decent labour:
The labour team that built my house are looking for work for 2009. In the meantimes they have gone back to tending their buffalo and rice paddy. Ten good, concientious Thais, one of them a foreman. Used to getting on with the job without much supervision, and providing above-average quality, but if you have any special requirements, standards or methods they don't know about, it's best for you to be on site. They can even build a standard house from your own roughly sketched design on a paper napkin, although their roof trusses may need a quick check by a competent engineer. They will even copy a house from a picture in a magazine. Viewing properties they have built already and meeting the customers is no problem (I'm one of them).

[b]Area:
Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu, Kalasin, Mahasarakahm, Loei, Chayaphum provinces. They will live in their hut on the land while they build your house. Work from dawn to dusk 7/7. They DON'T speak English.
Build time: 2 - 3 months, key-in-the-door for a 150 sq. metre single storey home with proper roof tiles.
Contract: will work to a contract, labour only (example available) and provide a guarantee.
Cost: labour only. Either 45 - 50% of the BOQ or 1,500 - 1,800 baht per sq. m. (roof roofed area).
Payment: 25% down, 45% on completion of roof and rendered walls, 30% on handover.
Last edited by jazzman on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jazzman

Postby exlax88 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:58 am

Hi Jazzman,

I'm new to this forum although not new to Thailand.
Lot of good stuff on this forum for both the novice and the well seasoned builder. Myself, I've been in the construction industry all my life and nearly 20 years in Thailand. I used to do most of the work myself (most trades) but in Thailand, managing projects. (my introduction).

A friend will be building a house soon, perhaps next month. It's a small, less than 100 m2 house, 1 meter off the ground on concrete supports. Wood floor, wood stud walls and a light, steel or aluminum roof. Not a basic bungalow, nice finishes, floor (T&G) over plywood, gypsum walls/ceilings, eaves: wood-strip c-line, exterior finish: cement gypsum panels.etc...
I'd be interested to know if the team you used is available next month or possibly April. Location: one hour south-west of Khon Kaen. I've made complete, detailed drawings with 3D (not on a napkin) to eliminate any guesswork. thanks....
If possible, could you post some photos of your project and any special issues....??
exlax88

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:33 am

Hi Exlax

There are a lot of pics of my project but you would have to locate them from here:
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbnails.php?album=6- this is where forum members can also post their photos and comments

I never made a stand-alone blog as it would just be duplicating this excellent photo report which starts here: http://www.coolthaihouse.com

The project you mention seems very small at 100 m2. It also seems very similar to a typical traditional Thai wood house on stilts, but the construction methods seem unusual - to me anyway. Is it a hybrid design of Thai/Western? It sounds very interesting, but although my team is ready to learn new tricks (like laying floor and wall tiles correctly, and working with all steel roof trusses to carry real tiles) they may flinch at the idea of attacking something completely new.
Last edited by jazzman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby dozer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:40 am

Indeed a good point by Jazzman, I would hesitate to put a Thai crew on doing something they hadn't done many times before. It may work, but it is asking for trouble. I've never seen wood stud walls used here before, because in general they won't hold up to the environment as well as block walls, although hardwood construction is still popular.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:02 pm

The hardwood - which in fact IS very hard, so I assume it is teak - is very hard (pun) to come by now. A great many families in Isaan, and probably all over the country because there are virtually no regional differences in the architecture thammada, are now replacing their timber wall planks with SHERA board or one of its cheaper copies. It's a kind of fake wood effect plank made of a mixture of cement and fibres (no asbestos). It comes in several colours plus neutral grey which can be painted. It's cheap. A 6" wide, 8 mm thick, 3 m long piece costs around 76. The cheaper copies even cheaper at 57 baht.
Jazzman used it to clad the gable ends of his roof.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

New Album Feature for youur Photos

Postby jazzman » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:42 am

A new photo album feature has been added to the site where members can upload photos and comments of their projects.

here it is:
http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/index.php?cat=1

See the coolthaihouse project and Jazzman's green house and also how nice a medium budget pool can look like by courtesy of Thaimic.
jazzman

Re: Team of good Thai builders available NOW

Postby Moo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Hello,

This is my first post; so hello to all of you. I saw the post of Jazzman. Sounds very well. At the moment I am building a house near Nakhon Phanom and the team of builders does a very good job. As soon as the house is finished, I will post the result.
Moo

Postby jazzman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi Moo, and welcome on board.
This is a very old thread and possible some of the information I posted in it is no longer up to date.
jazzman

Postby Moo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks Jazzman,

Indeed, now I have seen. Maby I have to post the thread somewhere else. I will see. Thanks aniway :)
Moo

Postby old_expat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:15 pm

jazzman wrote:One of the most frequent questions posted on this board is where to find decent labour:
The labour team that built my house are looking for work for 2009. In the meantimes they have gone back to tending their buffalo and rice paddy. Ten good, concientious Thais, one of them a foreman. Used to getting on with the job without much supervision, and providing above-average quality, but if you have any special requirements, standards or methods they don't know about, it's best for you to be on site. They can even build a standard house from your own roughly sketched design on a paper napkin, although their roof trusses may need a quick check by a competent engineer. They will even copy a house from a picture in a magazine. Viewing properties they have built already and meeting the customers is no problem (I'm one of them).

[b]Area:
Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu, Kalasin, Mahasarakahm, Loei, Chayaphum provinces. They will live in their hut on the land while they build your house. Work from dawn to dusk 7/7. They DON'T speak English.
Build time: 2 - 3 months, key-in-the-door for a 150 sq. metre single storey home with proper roof tiles.
Contract: will work to a contract, labour only (example available) and provide a guarantee.
Cost: labour only. Either 45 - 50% of the BOQ or 1,500 - 1,800 baht per sq. m. (roof roofed area).
Payment: 25% down, 45% on completion of roof and rendered walls, 30% on handover.

Hi Jazzman,

I know this post is old, but are these folks still available? Build: Khon Kaen, Umphur Muang, ~200 sq m, "single story", elevated, 2012?

sorry, cannot send PM
old_expat

Return to Isaan provinces