2.5 million ... what can one expect?

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

2.5 million ... what can one expect?

Postby duncanwil » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:39 pm

I am planning to build a house near Sang Kha, not that far from Surin. I have seen western houses there and have met one of two of their owner/builders.

I chose a house from one of theose 150 house plan books and had the plans drawn up. In the book it says it could be built for 2.04 million Baht. I have asked around and I have got the price indices for building materials for building houses. My calculations tell me that an inflation adjusted price is around 23. - 2.5 million Baht.

I just had a quote from a builder whom I have yet to meet and he devised a quote within minutes that was seismic: VERY high. He also said that he could, however, build an inferior house for 60% of that ...

Rather than asking anyone what a fair price is for the house I want, can I ask ... what kind of house can I reasonably expect in that district for 2.5 million?

2 bed bungalow?
3 bed bungalow?
2 bed 1.5 floors?
3 bed 1.5 floor?

1 bathroom?
2 bathrooms/shower rooms?
3 bathrooms/shower rooms?

All advice gratefully received and as soon as I get the final version of the plans I will be asking other builders for quotes but don't want to waste my time if the price I have been quoted is the true price.

Best wishes

Duncan
duncanwil

Re: 2.5 million ... what can one expect?

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am

Welcome Duncan.

You really need to read some of the threads on this board. There is no real way to answer your question as it depend on may things.
One example is the difference in price between turnkey, labour and materials, and labour only builds which could be ratio as high as 3, 2, 1. Or in other words a labour only build could cost 1/3 the price of a turnkey build.

Another is fittings an example is you can get a 2 ring cooker for any where between ฿1,000 ~ ฿20,000.

You can take a look at "Grandmums house" to see what can be built for ฿330,000, take a look at Fred's build that is north of ฿4,000,000 I think.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pattayapope » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 am

For a resonable western build 10 to 12,000 baht per M2 sould be good enough for calculateing what you can get. If you supply the finishing materials i.e. tiles and toilet fixtures ect it will be less a than this. A lot depends on choice of materials for roof and windows ect, the basic concrete work is not so expensive.[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby MGV12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 am

The price per m2 quoted is usually an overall average for area under the roof [including overhang] not just the walled areas.

Having chosen a 'plan from book' house ... assuming it's a Thai-based book ... should make the quoting process a little easier. When most Thai 'contractors' are faced with any aspect of a build which is [to them] unusual of simply different from what they are used to the price will increase substantially ... for the entire build!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby schuimpge » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:06 am

Compare some off plan development houses around your area for reference.
A typical end of row townhouse would cost you about 1.5 - 2 million with 3 bedrooms.
Stand alone 2 story 3 bedroom anywhere between 3.5 and 6 million depending on the plot of land, project extras like pool and other public areas and furnishings for for the house itself.

So I think 2.5 million (excluding land) should get you a 1-story 3 bedroom house with decent mid-range furnishings of anywhere between 150 - 200 sqmt. 2 Bathrooms, standard kitchen.
You might even be able to squeeze a swimming pool in. But if you still have to buy the land, then it's going to be a real squeeze...
schuimpge

Postby fredlk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:36 am

schuimpge wrote:A typical end of row townhouse would cost you about 1.5 - 2 million with 3 bedrooms.

Of which 1 million is going to pay for the land. (Small) newly built townhouses down this way sell for as little as 800,000 Baht including the land.
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 am

fredlk wrote:
schuimpge wrote:A typical end of row townhouse would cost you about 1.5 - 2 million with 3 bedrooms.

Of which 1 million is going to pay for the land. (Small) newly built townhouses down this way sell for as little as 800,000 Baht including the land.

I would not bet against that... Makes me a rich man with 2 End of Row Townhouses..... :lol:
schuimpge

Postby fredlk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:take a look at Fred's build that is north of ฿4,000,000 I think.

I've spent just over 6 million Baht so far which broken down is approximately:

- 500,000 Baht land;
- 500,000 Baht fill & retaining wall;
- 450,000 Baht piles;
- 300,000 Baht electricity & water;
- 500,000 Baht architect, project manager salaries, permits, etc.;
- 2,000,000 Baht the house above ground;
- 1,750,000 staff house, garage & perimeter walls.
fredlk

Postby duncanwil » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks everyone for all of those replies.

I really did appreciate that I was asking for the length of a piece of string to some extent but knew that there are general answers even so. You have given me some good responses that have helped me.

To provide an update, the morning after I got that major shock, the builder came back with a MUCH lower quote. I did say to my ball and chain that he had given a quote far too quickly: he could not have evaluated it properly. The new quote is much more in line with my thinking and calculations. Still not the figure I want but much nearer. So your answers really were even more helpful after that. I am taking quotations from other builders too and will meet them within a couple of weeks.

I am a photophile (I think I invented that word!) so whenever I visit the site I will be taking photos and will post them here, on my blog, or somewhere for everyone to see.

Duncan
duncanwil

Postby thailazer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:30 am

You can build a nice house for 2.5 million. Check out our build at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2959&p=31711&hilit=pareto#p31711 where we built a 180 square meter house. It is nothing fancy, but it supports our lifestyle which is important. The main things we did to keep costs down was to find a fantastic crew that gave us a fixed labor cost. Then we bought all the material ourselves, getting prices from several sources. Plumbing and electrical was also done by ourselves. We are very happy with the result.
thailazer

Postby Shastadad » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:08 pm

The problem with these quotes that Thai builders give is that there are a lot of finishing stuff that they forget, like a perimeter wall, or driveway, or gates, or landscaping, or most importantly cleaning up after they make a mess
Shastadad

Postby duncanwil » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks thailazer for those excellent and very specific highlights.

I like your column sharts too as they give so much information.

Many thanks!

Duncan
duncanwil

Postby duncanwil » Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 pm

UPDATE

We came to meet our main builder contact and he increased his price. Then came down a bit and said, same house, not such high quality.

I then told him and wifey ... I want a house for 2.3 million.

I redesigned the house.

Wifey went through the books of plans again and came back with a good alternative. I warned her: be ready for a shock, my dear!!

We then took a look at three houses the builder had already built/was building. The people there were really helpful as they showed us round.

We looked at other builds.

I have bought two new houses before, in the UK: one poor quality and one really good. I was pleased with much of what i saw here.

The evening came and we agreed a price for the wife's alternative house: 2.38 million. This includes superblocks, which were delivered this eveving as the foundations are being dug already!

Duncan
duncanwil

Postby Mike Judd » Sat May 11, 2013 6:41 am

Well as I am getting a bit too old for anything more than supervising on this my 3rd complete new house build/4th house renovation and 2 new factory/office builds,(All others in Oz) I approached it with although money was not a problem, I wanted value still without being a "Stingy Farang". Obviously area comes into it as far as land costs/labour and materials. I am probably repeating myself here ,(see Slow Build) but so far my costs have been as follows. Land B490,000 for 4.5 rei paddy field. B360,000 to fill it and level it to the road with pipes in the whole 42mt frontage. B200,000 for 36mt block and Stainless fence /6mt Sliding Gate. B190,000 for a 2 car garage with storage / W.C. etc;
B1.2000,000 for the house finished to lock up stage ,Painted /Electrics/ Tiled but no kitchen or P/C items .213sqmts under roof. What's that,? about B5,600 per sqmt for the house. So I think I'am doing pretty well so far going by other posts. But then I'am not down near Bangkok or Phuket where it's a constant battle with Rip off merchants, and I have just 2 capable , honest workers on site all the time, either doing the work or watching sub contractors when the odd time I wasn't able to be there. As mentioned ,there's a lot more to be spent on other things besides the actual house.
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Sat May 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Well as I am getting a bit too old for anything more than supervising on this my 3rd complete new house build/4th house renovation and 2 new factory/office builds,(All others in Oz) I approached it with although money was not a problem, I wanted value still without being a "Stingy Farang". Obviously area comes into it as far as land costs/labour and materials. I am probably repeating myself here ,(see Slow Build) but so far my costs have been as follows. Land B490,000 for 4.5 rei paddy field. B360,000 to fill it and level it to the road with pipes in the whole 42mt frontage. B200,000 for 36mt block and Stainless fence /6mt Sliding Gate. B190,000 for a 2 car garage with storage / W.C. etc;
B1.2000,000 for the house finished to lock up stage ,Painted /Electrics/ Tiled but no kitchen or P/C items .213sqmts under roof. What's that,? about B5,600 per sqmt for the house. So I think I'am doing pretty well so far going by other posts. But then I'am not down near Bangkok or Phuket where it's a constant battle with Rip off merchants, and I have just 2 capable , honest workers on site all the time, either doing the work or watching sub contractors when the odd time I wasn't able to be there. As mentioned ,there's a lot more to be spent on other things besides the actual house.

Mike, that’s pretty dam good (if not excellent) at TB5,600 per m2 for your main house area and I have looked at your build quality pictures.

What he should do for his budget, is work out his general cost per m2 allowance/budget for the basic under roof area for a finished painted room with floor tiles and ceilings, then go back and add on his specific cost allowances/budget for the higher quality cost areas, such as for the kitchen fit out and or bathroom areas, which traditionally cost the most per m2.

Kitchens of say 4m x 4m can cost him somewhere between TB 170,000 and 300,000 for cupboards, bench tops and equipment etc, depending on how luxurious he wants to go = equates to TB11,000 to 18,000 per m2 on top of his basic cost the kitchen room area. Bathrooms/Toilet are not as high per m2, but a typical combined bathroom-toilet will cost him another TB 4,000 to 6,000 per m2, on top of his basic cost per m2, but the time he buys his toilet, sink, bath and pays for the extra tiled wall area.

pipoz
pipoz

Next

Return to Isaan provinces