BUILDING IN KHUKAN/SISAKET

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: BUILDING IN KHUKAN/SISAKET

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Money is much more important when you haven't got any,as so many Thai's haven't , but some of these so called "builders" do think us Farangs are "Milk cows" waiting to be milked.
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:42 pm

The adage "If you have the money you have the power" holds true in this country. Laying out your payment structure at the start of your build then sticking to it will save a lot of stress.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby sidney » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:21 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
The adage "If you have the money you have the power" holds true in this country. Laying out your payment structure at the start of your build then sticking to it will save a lot of stress.

You may be right there in theory only. Reality on the ground is very different though. Hey, TIT (This is Thailand). One may have a solid contract, but to some cunning people it just doesn't matter or mean anything at all.

Mike Judd wrote:
Money is much more important when you haven't got any,as so many Thai's haven't , but some of these so called "builders" do think us Farangs are "Milk cows" waiting to be milked.

For others a farang is just being seen as a walking ATM indeed. You may have justice on your side, but still lose. The mistake I made was not listening to my "6th sense", so to speak. To many farangs some untoward things have happened for less, as insiders would know. At the moment I'm just licking my wounds and pondering my next moves.

The only thing I can think of now to avoid this kind of problem is to somehow pay workers directly without involvement of the builder. But I doubt a builder would accept that, which means basically that I have to hire my own labour directly and run the show myself. I'm reluctant to do that, because I'm a layman in building (even though I've learned a lot about building from this website). There are ways around this, which I'm considering at the moment.
sidney

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:37 am

It's just as well that you have a bit of time to regroup. I would spend some more time reading as much about all the different aspects of building as you can. Starting with the footings of course. But remembering that forward planing is required a lot. This is only going to give you an insight into the correct way things should be done ,although the end result is what counts as Thai"s do have their methods which are not always bad. Getting a builder that has the runs on the board and respect your wishes is the main thing. Time is the key there, the more time you take ,the better your chances of avoiding costly mistakes. You should also try to keep a "carrot" infront of your builder, not behind him. Good luck though and use the forum when ever you need advise as there are many members who have been down your road.
Mike Judd

Postby Makmak456 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Well you have gotten some great insight from the members here. The "years" of build info is priceless, and your already using it.
Take your time, follow the advice that helps you, and remember "IT IS YOUR MONEY< < !!!!"
Makmak456

Postby unclezillion » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Sidney where are you and how are things going? I'm wondering if you have found yourself in the local funny farm? :D
unclezillion

Postby sidney » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:42 am

Unclezillion wrote:
Sidney where are you and how are things going? I'm wondering if you have found yourself in the local funny farm?

Thanks for enquiring. Since the build disaster we've retreated to Sisaket. Due to a combination of some unresolved thorny issues closely related to this (ex-)build, my mum's recent sudden death and my only brother being on the waiting list for a complicated bypass operation I haven't been in the right state of mind lately to continue where we left off. The picture is completed by me being a part of a reorganisation by the time I return to my country. So in other words, right now most of my time and energy have been diverted into sorting out some other things.

However, I do regularly follow postings to update myself.
sidney

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Sydney ! I can well understand your position, I am in the same situation myself where things here in Oz have preference over everything else.I have to settle for just mulling over my next stage of my build when I can finally get over to Thailand again. Hang in there and study the posts when ever you can.
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles Sidney ... especially the loss of your mum.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby CarryOnUpTheMekong » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:31 am

Hello Fellas,
Sorry to hear your build has been postponed, ive just read through all the developments with interest and the invaluable advise from the good people on here, Great help im certain.
I'm in Manchester UK at the moment with my Wife of 5 years and our 2 year old daughter, we will return to North East Thailand ( Amnat Charoen ) in December, we have a plot of land on the banks of the Mekong ( 500 meters ) from the river 2 Soi's back?
With a plan to build a home in the not too distant future.
Sidney as with all best laid plans - things crop up, it has with me as my plan was 4 years ago to be living in Thai . . . . . obstacles crop up, its a case of getting over them.
Mike i've added you as your knowledge of construction is invaluable - well done Sir.

Our plot is 18m x 86m so long and quite narrow, we intend to build a 2 bedroom, 2 bath home with car port and rear small pool/spa 3mx3m and annex 5mx5m shop - with a view to building 1 at a time small rental 1bed bungalows ??? (dreamer) possibly
Thats the plan ? $%£* Knows if it will happen :)) but here goes
CarryOnUpTheMekong

Previous

Return to Isaan provinces