Looking for Architect or Predrawn blueprints

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Looking for Architect or Predrawn blueprints

Postby Ozode » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:08 am

Hello,

I am a US citizen that currently resides in the US. I am in the process of getting married to a Thai lady from the Buri ram province and she has indicated that she wishes to build a second home in Thailand close to her parents. Currently, I am looking for any information that I can find on architects that are capable of designing a house with a Thai style exterior, but a western style interior, that is both modern and comfortable. I want the house to be designed right and I am not terribly concerned about the price of the architects services so long as it is done right. The house that we would like to build would be a sizeable 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom home, with a larger western style kitchen, in house laundry and a dinning room that is large enough for a table to seat 12 people. I would also like for the house to include a great room or a small den, parlor combo and a study. Plus I want it to be only two stories high. The lot size for this home will be 1 rai 3 ngan, with the opportunity to buy additional land that joins the property. I believe that this is about 7/10ths of an acre, which should be enough land for what we want to build. I have thought about using some local designs for this, but my future wife wishes for the home to look like a thai style home. At this point I am open to all information and suggestions about designing and building this home, as well as suggestions about alternative styles of homes to look at. I think that she would be open to other styles of homes as long as they are familiar to her.

I also want to have designs drafted for a pool on the lot. I am not sure if either I need to wait until after home construction is complete to build a pool or not, nor do I know if I need to have an architect include a pool in the original house plans.

Also if you know of any sources that I may use to look at predrawn models and blueprints of thai houses that may be helpful. I know that in the United States there are many books or websites that you can look at that gives you ideas about homes. This may also be available in thailand, but I am not sure of where to begin looking.

If you have any suggestions of an architect that is capable of designing such a house I would appreciate it. I would also like to indicate that I am open to all suggestions about my home design, although I have something like this in mind now, I am open minded. I also realize that I will not be able to build this house for less than a million baht, but since this is the one source that I have found for building in thailand I hope that you do not mind if I use it.

Thank you for any assistance that you may provide.

John R Manning
Ozode

Postby redwooddrive » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:55 am

I have done just what you are looking to do, near Prakhon Chai in southern Buri Ram Province. Suggest you look at several articles I wrote via below links.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader735.html
http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader/Reader1161.htm
http://coolthaihouse.com/blog/?p=168

My final cost was almost 6.5 million baht and I think it was worth every baht. My home is on the scale of the size you suggest. I should mention that either you, your wife, and someone you implicitly trust will have to oversee the construction on a daily basis and be prepared for it to take about 12-14 months from start to finish to be done right.

Finding an architect was a problem for us but not impossible. Spend some time in Bangkok and locate builders there. Getting a general contractor up that way will be very difficult. There are a lot of good builders around, you just have to find the material yourself at the various suppliers. We probably used about nine different material sources, ranging from Home Pro in BKK, to the teak panel place in Ayuthaya, to roofing tile place near Lahan Sai, to the cement yard in Prakhon Chai.

Leaving things to just the home builder will result in using the cheapest materials. There is also the problem of them not going by the house plans other than as a general notion. With you on site overseeing, they will stick closer to the plans. They will also consult you more if they run into any problems, rather than plowing ahead and making a irreversable error.

If you leave it to the home builder, you will get a cement block house with a corregated metal roof. Not bad, but not what I think you are looking for. I have a lot of the construction photos posted on yahoo if you want to see more. good luck
john gerhardt
redwooddrive

Postby Ozode » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:57 pm

Wow redwood, cool house, you must be proud. I think that if I had a house like that for what you paid I would be happy and consider my money well spent. Plus you got a wife now that is one hell of a business woman, so I am sure that will come in handy in the future. I have been looking over what you built and I am thinking that perhaps the man that designed your house might make a good architect, would you mind sending me a message with his name and how to contact him, because I am interested in his work.

Also if you could send me the name of the contractors that you used. I think that my Fiance told me that you are perhaps 60 km from where her village is, but perhaps your contractors might still be interested in helping us with our project. I also think that we are going to have to backfill over the lot as well to raise the land. This land is flat and surrounded by rice patties as well. I figure the mosquitos are going to be murder, so I am looking at buying the adjoining property and doing away with the rice patties, not that it will help much, but it might keep some of them away from our house.

My next question will be who did you use to back fill the property and where did you get the fill dirt. I am thinking about buying a tractor with a front bucket and hiring my future brother - n - law to do the work, he lives local to the area and I am sure that we would be interested in working for me, especially if I let him use the tractor for his own land. Also, would you suggest drilling a well while we are waiting for the dirt to settle? or would you wait until we start construction.

I would appreciate greatly you input on all of these questions. Thanks for your help and congratulations on your house, it is a wonderful house. I am jealous.
Ozode

house to be built

Postby dozer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:16 pm

Welcome to the blog and good luck on your upcoming project. A couple of general notes --
perhaps 60 km from where her village is, but perhaps your contractors might still be intereste
-In all likelyhood this distance shouldn't be any kind of problem since the crew will live on-site in shacks for the duration of the build.
I am thinking about buying a tractor
If you check around the area you are going to build there should be sources of fill dirt, it comes in a 10 wheeler truck (8 to 12 cu meters per load) and runs anywhere from 700 to 1500 per load depending on the type. The company which does the dirt will have contacts for tractor rental which includes the operator which should be much more cost effective than buying a tractor yourself.
dozer
Site Admin

Need an architect

Postby TC » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Well we are having almost the opposite, a simple Thai style house on stilts. Still we need an architect to draw up some simple plans as we want to add a couple of non Isaan features and want to get some concept of how they will look. Anyone know of an architect in Udon Thani or Nong Khai?
TC

Postby dozer » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Anyone know of an architect in Udon Thani or Nong Khai?
Don't know of any architect there but I would advise that you do as much up front design work as possible in a design program (ie. ArchiCad, AutoCad etc) as this will help you get things done the way you want them in the long run.
dozer
Site Admin

Architects in Isaan

Postby jazzman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:26 am

I now know of three architects in Isaan (they have done work either for me or for friends). One Thai, one German, one American.
the German and the American will provide 3-D archicad renderings and a full set of blue prints. The Thai will adapt any set of existing drawings for an extremely modest fee.
PM me for details.
jazzman

Re: Architects in Isaan

Postby rsokolowski » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 am

jazzman wrote:I now know of three architects in Isaan (they have done work either for me or for friends). One Thai, one German, one American.
the German and the American will provide 3-D archicad renderings and a full set of blue prints. The Thai will adapt any set of existing drawings for an extremely modest fee.
PM me for details.

Jazzman,

How do I get in touch with the Thai architect that you mention in the post?
rsokolowski

Re: Looking for Architect or Predrawn blueprints

Postby jazzman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 am

The post you quote was made over 4 years ago. Things have changed since, not only, but also the fact that is not permitted to make recommendations here. There are literally dozens of architects in the Isan area, some good, some bad. The ones you are probably looking for may not even have web sites. Asking around locally is probably the best bet.The main criterion is what their fees are - and high fees certainly do not automatically mean high quality.

There may be contractors who offer free blueprints as part of the deal. Some house contractors also build pools, but in my experience, they often run into trouble with their designs and technology.

A web search there may be useful using appropriate key words. Remember to include 'Thailand' to narrow your search.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby rsokolowski » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:46 am

jazzman wrote:The post you quote was made over 4 years ago. Things have changed since, not only, but also the fact that is not permitted to make recommendations here. There are literally dozens of architects in the Isan area, some good, some bad. The ones you are probably looking for may not even have web sites. Asking around locally is probably the best bet.The main criterion is what their fees are - and high fees certainly do not automatically mean high quality.

There may be contractors who offer free blueprints as part of the deal. Some house contractors also build pools, but in my experience, they often run into trouble with their designs and technology.

A web search there may be useful using appropriate key words. Remember to include 'Thailand' to narrow your search.

I need to start looking at the dates on the posts. My inlaws have a good relationship with the Chinese/Thai owner of a fairly large hardware and construction material store. He has given us a fair deal in the past. When we visit next summer I can ask him to point me in the right direction of a local architect.
rsokolowski

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:13 am

Be careful of the fair deal at local stores i fell for that one most of the stuff is bought from a bigger diy store in the nearest town ?? It can add up significantly Try the search engine at the top of this page on the right hand side search crossy free house plans these are aparrently pre approved houses with free drawings you may find something close to what you want ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby jazzman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 am

In the various sections of this board prices are mentioned of many products and services, and the members here are pretty good at keeping them updated, especially ones on fiil dirt, architects, house construction costs, and swimming pools. There's a lot of good advice there too. As Geordie says, you may not always be getting the best deal even from the independent hardware stores. If you're buying technical equipment be sure to ask about guarantees. Most of the big stores such as HomePro, HomeMart, and HomeHub generally provide reasonable customer and after-sales service. There are some really good deals to be had at GlobalHouse if one does not mind taking the risk of buying low price Chinese copies of genuine branded goods, but customer service at Global is also extremely thin and not very helpful (personal experience in Roi ET, Udon, Khon Kaen). In Thailand, never expect the level of service you are used to in Western countries, but sometimes there are pleasant exceptions.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:46 pm

jazzman i distinctly remember you telling me to visit Khon khaen for stuff and being to busy i neglected to do so :( i think i probably paid over the odds on quite a bit of stuff Glass blocks were double in the village showers were limited and around 30% more than the same article in pattaya "notoriously expensive" electrical equipment 20% more I think i probably payed a minimum of between 15 & 20 % over even on the doors and also suffered from a lack of selection
Definately wer i to do it again i would be looking around more national stores rather than the village
geordie

Postby jazzman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:58 pm

geordie wrote:jazzman i distinctly remember you telling me to visit Khon khaen for stuff and being to busy i neglected to do so :( i think i probably paid over the odds on quite a bit of stuff Glass blocks were double in the village showers were limited and around 30% more than the same article in pattaya "notoriously expensive" electrical equipment 20% more I think i probably payed a minimum of between 15 & 20 % over even on the doors and also suffered from a lack of selection
Definately wer i to do it again i would be looking around more national stores rather than the village

I'm not sure which is nearer for you, but if you go through Manchakiri and Chonnabot to Ban Phai, turn right at the lights in the direction of Korat on the highway , about 3 km down the road on the right hand side is a very large independent builders' merchant called Siam Trigo. Worth checking out - the prices are reasonable and the service is good and friendly.
Glass blocks are also fairly cheap at Home Hub in KK.

Important is always to consider the extra fuel cost to save a few bob on prices.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks but at the moment still trying to decide if when and where regarding a build its a bit of a roulette game with life at the moment We have 12 rai at khaen khro that we might do something on as a holiday alternative (after her sister trees mature ? i dont even know what trees they are i think maybe eucolyptus ??
geordie

Return to Isaan provinces