water wells

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: water wells

Postby thailazer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Actually, my wife and step son did about 80% of the work and she did stay clean. Actual drilling was maybe a bit over an hour. We selected a site where the tailings ran downhill away from the well, and there was no spattering like you get with air rigs. Just a gentle little spring of tailings coming out of the ground.

The secret to the capacity is the well screen. Most well drillers just drill a hole and sink a casing with no well point or well screen. Water comes in the bottom and ultimately sand starts to fill the well. With a well screen as I used, you can count on what well drillers call "development". Once in use, the water-bearing sand is in contact with the well screen and up above, the drilled through layers collapse against the well casing. I would have liked to pour a little pea gravel down into the bottom meter outside the well screen, but this was just a test well project to prove we could do it. At any rate, once development is complete, the sand provides the water path and the upper soils provide the seal, along with a concrete cap I will put on once I know the top of the bore has collapsed and finished its development. Our next well is going to be quite a bit deeper now that we have a little experience doing this.
thailazer

Postby Ians » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Nothing new or special, I have installed and or been involved with thousands of wellpoint installations down to 6 / 7 metre's below ground level - this is about the realistic and economical level of such installations for suction lift capacity of pumping systems. Google " wellpoint dewatering " for more detail. Deeper installations are possible if in artesian areas.
For a single point installation using above ground pump you could probably push the depth to 8 maybe 9 meters or go deeper and use a "down-the-well' eductor system.
Ians

Postby Ians » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Further to the above, if anyone wants more hands on info for larger diameter casings in water bearing soils let me know - there are good techniques for this type of well installlation - although not cheap and a good water source is needed during the well installation period- hence the system used in Thailand of drilling.
Ians

Postby thailazer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Got my Spiral Slotted PVC Well Screens out of the flood waters of Bangkok today. 225 baht for 2 inch, one meter long. Poured 3 gallons of water in one end with the bottom capped and it flowed out of the last 5 cm of the screen as fast as I could pour it in. This looks like an improvement over my home brew well screen.

http://www.thaipipe.com/product/view.php?cid=22
thailazer

Previous

Return to Isaan provinces