water wells

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

water wells

Postby louie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 pm

Morning everyone
I am trying to get a well dug about 15kms north of Nangrong( about 7-8ms deep) anybody have any contacts/experience in this area of Isaan ?
I am currently building a 200m2 bungalow and seem to have found a good builder so if I can help with contacts for anybody on future builds please let me know
Louie
louie

Re: water wells

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:27 am

7-8 meter,s you could almost get a makro to dig ? and finish by hand afterwards
How far have you progressed with your build
louie wrote:I am currently building a 200m2 bungalow and seem to have found a good builder so if I can help with contacts for anybody on future builds please let me know
Louie

Most people show a great deal of reserve on recomending a builder as the usually start great then fall at the last fence
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby otis-a » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 am

8m is about abt. Depth of my hand dug well.
Seems like depth of hand dug of fred's neighbor and the koh samu build that is currently active on forum. Seems not over 2 days work for 3 guys- 2worker +1 safety man. Wait for dry season to dig- if we c dry season this year- vulkins activity seems to wacked weather patterns with adding mass to atmosphere from the dust. Macro could likely do job in half day and no need to await dry season.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby geordie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:54 am

Given the suicidal activities near Fredic i think i would go with the makro those guy,s were digging through sand which has now i beleive collapsed it would have been far less dangerous if they had placed the rings and dug inside letting the rings settle and follow them down the hole they then tried to get through a rock down there with a breaker/drill definate suicidal tendency,s It leaves a question if a Thai is working for you and dies on the job do you as the farrang get the blame ?? I had a roofer die a few days after we finished and all we got was he was sick inside He must have been pretty sick inside he was only mid thirty,s but as ever the incident was understated he had a fever went to hospital ! (village) Hospital send him big hospital as he sick a lot he die in pick up on the way ?? Unfortunately leaving behind a couple of kids and a wife
geordie

Postby thailazer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:27 am

We just jetted a 6 meter deep well and put in 3 inch casing. Made a 1 meter well screen and our total cost was around 2000 baht and it was a fun family project. We are getting 12 gallons a minute as we have springs on our property. I had to make my own well screen as the PVC spriral screen is stuck in the flooding in Bangkok. We will jet in a deeper well using 2 inch casing in a few weeks just so we have a back up. I like the PVC casings as you can keep the whole system sealed against bacteria. That is very hard to do with the large ring wells so popular here.
thailazer

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:40 am

and yours sounds a damm site safer have you any details on how it was done :roll: and did you seal the top with bentonite ?
geordie

Postby thailazer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:55 am

G... It was very easy. We used a 6 HP gas powered water pump and ran 1 inch hose to the top of the PVC casing with all the required PVC couplers to hook up. Tiny hole at the top to avoid air pressure build up and I sawed teeth on the bottom of the PVC casing. Bought a 2 by 4 (teak!) for 10 baht and hose clamped that to the PVC for a handle. Put the pipe upright, turned on the water full bore and started turning the handle. We went down the first 4 meters in 30 minutes. Took longer to add the second section than to do the drilling. The next time I do this, I will buy extra PVC and have a long length pre-glued so the joint can cure solid.
thailazer

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:08 am

thailazer wrote:G... It was very easy. We used a 6 HP gas powered water pump and ran 1 inch hose to the top of the PVC casing with all the required PVC couplers to hook up. Tiny hole at the top to avoid air pressure build up and I sawed teeth on the bottom of the PVC casing. Bought a 2 by 4 (teak!) for 10 baht and hose clamped that to the PVC for a handle. Put the pipe upright, turned on the water full bore and started turning the handle. We went down the first 4 meters in 30 minutes. Took longer to add the second section than to do the drilling. The next time I do this, I will buy extra PVC and have a long length pre-glued so the joint can cure solid.

Sounds interesting similar to a few american schemes obviously you have to have a good supply of water in the first place but it would be nice the next time you play :roll: if you dig out the camera and interesting to see how far down you can get :mrgreen: its a method a good few could use unfortunately hit a rock and you are stuffed i take it the spoil comes up on the outside of the casing so you will need a good seal to stop surface contamination but thinking about it an ideal way to clear and posibly extend a borehole using a slightly smaller pipe than the original used for the bore could you not use a few self tapping screws for the conection next time as well as the glue so you can get straight on it before the sediment sets around the pipe
geordie

Postby thailazer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:18 am

Posted some pics of our well jetting project in the gallery so take a look below. It was a fun project. I can't stress enough putting a hole the diameter of a small pin at the top of the drill-head "U". If you don't, air pressure builds up and blows the rig apart. Other than that, quite easy. You will feel the pipe go through different layers of clay, sand, and rock as each type of material vibrates the pipe and handle differently and you can hear it as well. Every few minutes we would lift the pipe up a few feet, let the bore fill up with water, and then push down hard to bring up the tailings. If you don't do that, the pipe will stop going down. We went down about 7 meters and a lot of stones ended up at the bottom which is good for water collection, hence the final depth is not the full depth of your drill. The well screen is fine stainless steel screen bought from a local hardware store and wrapped on the bottom of the pipe where sixty 3/8 inch holes are drilled. When we were done we pumped 12 gallons a minute for 30 minutes and never ran it dry. That's over 300 gallons which is about what a normal house will use a day.

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbnails.php?album=320
thailazer

Postby thailazer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:22 am

Regarding sealing the bore, we picked a high area so the tailings would flow away and to avoid rain water flowing in. I stuffed as many clay balls down the outside of the casing as I could and next week we will put in a concrete cap around the PVC casing. The top meter is hard clay so it should seal up on its own over time. Pump house goes next to the well too.
thailazer

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:42 am

It looks like fun was had you can make a flap to pick out the smaller rocks with rubber and a metal cutter head but if its working that good leave it the hell alone 8) nice job maybe Fredik will pick up on it and educate his neighbours although i suspect it would not work too well on sand
geordie

Postby thailazer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:31 am

Sand is very easy to go through as the tailings come right up. Our well screen ended up in a water-bearing sand and rock acquifer so that's why we are getting the volume of water we are.
thailazer

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:53 pm

thailazer wrote:Sand is very easy to go through as the tailings come right up. Our well screen ended up in a water-bearing sand and rock acquifer so that's why we are getting the volume of water we are.

I would have thought with sand the tailings would have widened the bore and your water would have disapated into the surrounding sand on a normal drilling operation sand is prone to absorbing your water so you would use a mud (bentonite again) to line the bore allowing it to bring the tailings up
I was thinking of knocking up a percusion rig to play with old school but still very efective and will penetrate rock although i suspect a lot of the smaller rocks end up getting hammered sidways into the side of the bore thats where i have seen a tool for picking out the small rocks but you also have to use a different head for the sand the normal cutter relies on it impacting into the dirt and wedging it into into the pipe you are dropping these rigs are common as mud in uk but impposible to find secondhand the just go on and on i may take a run down to the company that makes them at some point seeing as how they are only an hour away :roll: i may even get some ideas :roll:
geordie

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:46 pm

More questions :roll: do you have any more pictures real one,s not someone looking remarkably clean obviously turned up after you had done the graft and handed you a camera
(my missus does that as well) what size pump and what did you use for a water source tank lake stream river ? as i imagine it used a fair bit of water i am really impressed actually because you see all these things on the internet under how to do it ? :( and you assume not really but you did it and it was a success brilliant the spin off is a bigger pump a bigger pipe a lot more water you could put piles in :lol: :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:45 am

geordie wrote:the spin off is a bigger pump a bigger pipe a lot more water you could put piles in

Geordie apparently they use a similar method to put power poles in over here, my friend was telling me when they put the HT poles in they bore a hole then put the pole in and use a water jet to settle the pole in, he said it went down very fast when the water was put on. I was thinking on similar lines to repair the erroding banks on my pond and put some piles in to make some retaining walls, I will probably experiment when the water goes down in the dry season.[*] :lol:

Good post Thailazer something that could be tried in most rural areas but seems from previous posts it only cost a few thousand baht to get the "profesionals" in with the proper machine and they go done 20 to 30 meters in a short time.
pattayapope

Next

Return to Isaan provinces