School Toilet Project.

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

School Toilet Project.

Postby Galee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:06 am

I've agreed to help a Thai friend who teaches at a rural Issan school. The school is about 40 years old and very run down. One of the schools priorities is the toilet block. I cannot afford to rebuild the block, but with help from fund raising days and myself chipping in a few baht I will have 30K Baht to spend on the toilet block.
Ideally I'd like to refurbish the interior, put a new roof on and add wash basins outside. My friend and wife suggest that I use local labour in the village to do the work instead of using bigger recognised builders. Ideally I want to be in control of materials and buy as and when required and pay daily labour rates. I hope to get the work completed during Songkram. The question I'm asking, is 30K enough to do a decent job?

Galee

Re: School Toilet Project.

Postby thegrogmonster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:16 am

Hi Galee,

No idea if 30,000 baht would cover it as I don't know enough about building costs. If you have a paypal account I would like to donate AUD$50 (around 1500 baht) to your project.
thegrogmonster

Postby dozer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:44 am

One problem with daily labor is it tends to go a bit slower and it is really hard to tell when the workers are lagging. You might consider using local labor and get an all inclusive 'labor-only' bid to do the job. Once you get that you can pretty easily compute the material costs.... and go from there.

GREAT project, please post pics as you go.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Galee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Thank you for the feed back.
Thegrogmonster, thank you very much for your generous offer. It was not my intention to post on coolthaihouse about the school project in the hope it would attract more sponsorship, just asking for advice from more experienced builders in Thailand. Hence, I will politely defer on your very generous offer of help.
Dozer, thank you for your comments. I have a meeting arranged for Wednesday. Hopefully all the relevant people will attend. In the back of my mind I have the figures of 20K materials, 10K labour. As I'm a newbie to building in Thailand I'd appreciate comments as to whether these are realistic figures.
Galee

Postby thaifly » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Galee wrote: The question I'm asking, is 30K enough to do a decent job?

its a gidday to galee..its the thaifly from mae rim...yes why not...structural .. it looks o.k...put a new hat on.. a couple of farung dunnys +basins ..maybe some plumbing/tiling..etc etc ..as for the painting... the school kids will be able to do this ..and a lot of other work + mum and dads to assist... you can get that labour estimate cost down somewhat..and spend it on the some trimmings. :D :D :D ..its a TOP OF THE TABLE BY FOUR..GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby developer3d » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:14 pm

30,000 is plenty.

Sometimes its hard for us to reference what a "modest thai build" costs.

An interesting reference point is the Habitat for Humanity Homes which in Thailand which are modest in both size and materials - 6 x 6 M and cost 85,000 baht to build including all new materials and labour required.

If they can build this for 85,000 you can do that project for 30,000

Concrete-House-C.jpg
developer3d

Postby thaifly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm

developer3d wrote:
If they can build this for 85,000

Concrete-House-C.jpg

its a gidday to dev3...its the thai fly from mae rim..at..2361 BAHT A SQ METRE. for the above modest build..and from your experiences..and confirmed in your post. .<slight edit for content Dozer 2/24> GIDDAY TO ALL its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby developer3d » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:05 pm

Thai fly

1, Habitat for Humanity is not in anyway representative of "Thai builders" or thai building standards its a Global Organisation, and if anything representative of what an NGO can build in affordable housing on a modest budget.

I know some of the guys that are involved and one of the most common challenges they have is Quality Control, the variations in build quality and locally produced materials like breeze block from one site to another is something they are trying to address.

<flame removed Dozer 2/24>
developer3d

Postby Galee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Had a meeting at the school today. Latest news is that they don't want the toilet block in the photo above renovated, they want the teachers toilet block renovated. Apparently the children's block has major problems with water and sanitation as well as being structurally dodgy. I noticed large cracks in the walls today. I didn't have my camera but i took this photo a while back of the teachers toilet, so it's not very informative.

The smaller block only has 2 stalls and the roof doesn't need touching, so the money available will do a better job. When renovated the two stalls will be used by all the school. 60 odd kids and 4 staff.
The school have contacted a local builder who has quoted 7000Baht labour. I've told the school to have a meeting with him, discuss what they want done and to get him to provide an itemised list of all the materials he needs for me to buy, with a price limit of 20,000Baht. I'm keeping 3K back at the moment, because there's bound to be extras.
Galee

Postby developer3d » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:11 pm

I fully respect that this is your project and whatever you decide to do in the end is the right decision, can I just add a few thoughts into mix ?

It sounds like the teachers block is currently in sound condition with 2 stalls functioning correctly and safely ( hygienically ) its not a "nice" as it could be but it functions well enough.

Based on that then what is being proposed is a freshen up - new paint, new tile, not entirely certain if new porcelain is being proposed or plumbing if it functions and is not damaged I don't know why you would do that - if your not you dont have to pay a "builder" just a "handyman" and he should have the job done in 3 - 4 days so 7,000 baht is way way too much.

Semi skilled builders labourers ie they have worked for at least a few years with a builder and know the basics like paint and tile. are under 300 baht a day ( probably less in your area )

The challenge is what you are going to end up with is a new freshly painted and tiled toilet that still doesn't meet the needs of the school - 60 students.

If the teachers block is sound and functioning then the next logical step would be your original plan to fix the children toilet so the outcome meets the needs of the school.

Option 1: a nice 2 stall toilet with a budget for some nice stuff

Option 2: keep the functioning 2 stall as is and try to get the other block up and running even if you have to cut a few corners, like paint and tile you can do them later.

Logically it would make more sense to have option 2 outcome I think you could take on that for 30,000.

Now for the part that is none of my business "BUT" I am a builder and have travelled all over the world and been in many "affordable housing" projects .

One of the elements that all sucessful program share is the "participation" of the community, I dont mean building or skilled work I mean chipping in if they couldnt be bothered to help with sanding and scrubing and painting and weeding then they dont need your help.

You could kill 2 birds with one stone, if the teachers block is sound you could do wonders with some sandpaper and paint and it should be students or their families on a weekend working bee they cant afford the paint or sandpaper so you buy that but its their elbow grease.

All comes done to the what you are proposing to do with the plumbing and porcelain, if they are coming out - forget everything I said :D
developer3d

Postby Galee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Good points d3d. I'm waiting to see what they come back with before I stick my oar in. New sanitation items, tiles, doors, and basins have been mentioned and will be expected from me.
Galee

Postby jaytee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Galee wrote:. I'm waiting to see what they come back with before I stick my oar in. .

yes a very idea. :D they have changed their plans once :? and the very likely will change again :roll: thaiflys few short words summed up the sitiuation perfectly on plan A now WHO KNOWS :?: :?: typical thai red tape :lol: glad you are doing it :D not for me :D but very best of luck :D :D on a very thoughtful and kind input by yourself
jaytee

Postby Galee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Work in progress. Have grand opening ceremony on the 12th.

Looks as though the final decision was to extend the 2 cubicle building.
Galee

Postby Galee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:59 am

Finally, the school toilet project I was involved in has been completed.

As you can see, some improvements were done to the 3 cubicle building. New doors and tiling. The interior is the same, however the school has told me that they will renew all ceramics soon.

As you can see, the old 2 cubicle building has been extended to make 4 cubicles. All cubicles have new sanitation units inside as well as the hand washing facilities.
Galee

Postby thaifly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 am

its a gidday to galee..its the thai fly from mae rim....nice one :D :D :D its a BOLTON AT THE BRIDGE got my fingers and toes crossed .... gidday to all...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Return to Isaan provinces