More land Ahoy

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: More land Ahoy

Postby Nawty » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:58 am

cruzing wrote:
Love the natural swimming hole. Does the water really look that good in person?

Cruzing.

Better.....stand up on the bank and it is crystal clear to see the rocks at the shallow end and about 1.5m down the slope.

If it has been raining and have any runoff, of course it gets a little cloudy until it settles.

The deep pool has a blue/aqua tinge to it, not sure what minerals it is that it comes from, but there is something in there.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby Nawty » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:49 pm

thaifly wrote: your heleconias will be a ripper for for your plans..please plant every 2 metres...keep the water up to them and they will grow over two metres high and spread as well...ideal for boundrarys or to cover crawl spaces etc etc .getting back to the heliconias they serve as a fire break as well....tell you beany ..if you get it right planting them in the right positions your property will increase heaps in value for so little outlay...but be reminded it TAKES PLENTY OF TENDER LOVING CARE.. AND COBBER YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK..i am sure you will buy more at later date.. as you can become addicted very easily...its a TREE OF A GIDDAY TO ALL ..ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM

Re the Heliconias....do they shoot up strong enough offshoots to push through a heavy mulch ??

We are putting down a lot of coconut fibre mulch to control weeds and keep moisture in, then we might be putting down rice straw either over that, or around it to keep even more weeds away and keep in moisture and to rejuvinate the soil as it rots away and is absorbed into the ground.

I want to know if the heliconias will push through this or will require spaces left open for them to spread.
Nawty

Postby cruzing » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:44 am

Nawty wrote:
Also want this bamboo, I have found it at JJ market, but ridiculous prices, so looking for cheap supply..
bamboo black.jpg

Is it black bamboo.....kind of looks like it has some green stripes, that's why I ask. If it is my brother-in-law
was told 4,000 baht for one at JJ. That is really expensive. What did they tell you?

cruzing
cruzing

Postby thaifly » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:17 am

Nawty wrote:
thaifly wrote: .please plant every 2 metres...keep the water up to them and they will grow over two metres high and spread as well...

Re the Heliconias....do they shoot up strong enough offshoots to push through a heavy mulchI want to know if the heliconias will push through this or will require spaces left open for them to spread.

gidday beany...its the thaifly frommae rim... as a unqualified answer..i feel you need space left open for them to grow and spread...in other words to give them AIR SUPPLY....not our AUSSIE POP GROUP MIND YOU.....its a RUSSELL HITCHCOCK GIDDAY TO ALL....its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby rubik101 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:00 pm

I have lots of shredded coconut, about 5cm deep around my flower borders. I don't have heliconias but if any plant propogates by spreading its root system sideways, then they come up through the coconut with no problems.
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Postby thaifly » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:30 am

gidday beany...its the thaifly from mae rim...rubik...may well be right...the way i went was that the heloconias are a very light weight stem and break very easily.. as i said my was a unqualified answer..maybe someone can confirm RUBIKS..post..its a LOUD SHIRT OF A GIDDAY TO ALL ...ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby cruzing » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 pm

cruzing wrote:
Nawty wrote:
Also want this bamboo, I have found it at JJ market, but ridiculous prices, so looking for cheap supply..
bamboo black.jpg

Is it black bamboo.....kind of looks like it has some green stripes, that's why I ask. If it is my brother-in-law
was told 4,000 baht for one at JJ. That is really expensive. What did they tell you?

cruzing

The reason I asked if it's black bamboo is that we have quite a bit of it and if you are interested maybe we can work
something out. If it's not black bamboo....would like to know.............. what is it?

Cruzing
cruzing

Postby Nawty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Yes I believe it is black bamboo....black is what i want anyway, don't know if that pic is a different species of black.

I was also quoted stoooopid prices for it at JJ...4k and another 500b for one stick.

Not at all interested at any silly price, can wait till I find some off some beaten track and steal it.

Where are you...might be difficult to get any from you ??
Nawty

Postby cruzing » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Here are the pictures of our black bamboo that I told you I would post on the open forum.

When I took the pictures this afternoon I noticed the green stripes at the base....just like in the picture you posted.

cruzing
Attachments
Black bamboo with green stripes.jpg
Bamboo 2.jpg
Black Bamboo 1.jpg
cruzing

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:04 pm

Thats the stuff.

We bought some golden bamboo the other day from a road full of nurseries near Nakhon Nayok, so some black mixed with it would look nice.

Bit difficult where you are but. Do you ever get up NN way ??
Nawty

Postby Nawty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:56 am

Well.....block coming along nicely.

Some good things, some not so good.

Green fingers have turned into brown thumbs.

Pretty much all of the big trees and palms survived, only 2 big trees and 1 palm tree carked it and were replaced by the tree dude promptly.

Of the 10 coconut trees, 4 of them died, so seems true that coconuts are harder to transplant. But these were also replaced and new ones doing ok.

Shall post some pics soon.
Nawty

Postby thaifly » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:01 am

STRIKE ME PINK...its nawty...nice to know that you are still around wait to see your pics. ITS A loud shirt gidday to all...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby Nawty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:45 am

Some pics......

Sunset from our balcony..

IMG_4146.jpg

Our delicious watermelon..

IMG_4725.jpg

Beans...

IMG_4719.jpg

Tending the crops...

IMG_4692.jpg

The Marriot....

IMG_8360.jpg

The heliconias growing steadily...dozens of flowers...

IMG_4641.jpg

My expert welders masterpiece....

IMG_8539.JPG
Nawty

Postby Nawty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:56 am

more heliconias....they do push through the mulch...

IMG_8684.jpg

Our rustic shed...

IMG_8631.jpg

The jungle taketh away...

IMG_8626.JPG

The bungalow....question is...'is this before or after ?'

IMG_8630.JPG

<Dozer 7/27: Removed some pics per posters request>
Nawty

Postby Nawty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:02 am