More land Ahoy

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

More land Ahoy

Postby Nawty » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:14 am

Well, bought another block of land.

This time in the Nakhon Nayok area bordering Saraburi and on the edge of the national park.

This one is on the river,7 rai, not as nice in my opinion as the other one, but I have some nice plans for it.

This block is purely to sell. No picci's yet.

Currently letting the creative juices flow to see what to design. The property and neighbouring ones have a lot of river stone on them, thinking a stone house maybe.

One kind of eye catching thing about this is that the owner is digging out the river for me to a depth of around 2 meters if he does not hit solid rock, then putting in boulders at a section of the river 3/4 way down the boundary to form a dam. This should give a depth of around 3 to 4 metres. The owner has a farm nearby and has done exactly the same on his block, same river and he has a permanent swimming hole 3 to 4 metres deep. pic below.

He is doing this included in the sale price and I figure best to get him to do it as 1... he knows the machinery guys in the area to do it for the right price and 2... if any grief from the property across the river or downstream, he can deal with it.

So, I can start 'another' build thread from go to woh one day soon.

The rock wall

IMG_7722.jpg

the waterhole with a nice little shack on the other side.

IMG_7720.jpg

The photo makes the water look milky, whereas it is actually a nice bluish colour.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Re: More land Ahoy

Postby dozer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:23 pm

Nice looking plot; especially finding water that isn't algae green or brown. Look forward to seeing how it goes....
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Nawty » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:29 pm

Well, just finished building the 'natural swimming pool'....even the first one to swim in it yesterday.

Tis about 8 to 9 foot deep.

Construction complete.....landscaping not. This will come later.

this view is not from the property, wish it was, but just the area.
Ch40[1]a.jpg

IMG_7820a.jpg

IMG_7818a.jpg

IMG_7809a.jpg
Nawty

Postby rubik101 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Great swimming pool! Lucky that you have a constant supply of clean water. The real challenge is to build one in a still water pond. If I can manage it I will chronicle the build and outcome here at a later date.
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:48 pm

So, about a month or so ago we started 'civilising' this block.

Started with a land clearing job, got rid off all the undergrowth rubbish.

IMG_8088.jpg

Then put in a gravel road.

IMG_8266.jpg

Built a well.

IMG_8302.jpg

Built a water tank...kind of has a nice lean to it. Like another famous tower somewhere.

IMG_8269.jpg

Laid a pile of poly pipes.

Then planted a pile of trees, all big ones and in a selected area where the gardens shall be restricted to. The rest will be fruit trees and vegie gardens.

For the large selection of trees we chose the following....a pic of the big tree in its full glory and then the miserable looking cut up version we get to buy, but hopefully will grow to look similar in a few years time.

Raintrees...
IMG_6874.jpg

Foxtail palms...
IMG_8430.jpg

And nearly forgot, found some 'Lamphu' trees, these are supposed to be the favourite homes of the fireflies and I love fireflies. We have been camping on this block a lot over the last month and every night we have seen a few flies floating around the rivers edge, the other night saw 5 or 6 at once, so they are about and i want to encourage heaps of them. Anyone know any other 'dry' trees or bushes that fireflies love to hang around ?

Lamphu tree.jpg

We are contemplating building a quality bamboo bungalow on the property....small enough for us to stay in on weekends etc and then if we build a bigger house later, it will remain as a nice guesthouse.
Last edited by Nawty on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nawty

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Large purplish/white flowering tree...(no pic yet)

Golden shower trees...
IMG_1917.jpg

Neem trees...(for the vegi gardens and organic pesticide production hopefully)
800px-GntNeemTree.jpg

We also have several of the reasonably large 'flame' trees that are big enough now to flower that were already on the property.
IMG_1913.jpg

Tall skinny palm...
IMG_8429.jpg

Also 10 of the sweet coconut variety, so shall be making coconut juice drinks and icecream soon...

Fruit trees we have bought so far and at a couple of years old and starting to fruit already are....Mangoes, chompu apple, orange, lemon, lime, pomello. We have another 20/30 species to find, we want 3 of each, so will be around 100 fruit trees all up. Also have papaya trees, bananas of several varieties, dragon fruit of the red variety.

This yellow fruit tree which is so god damn tasty, we got 3 of these fruiting also at around 2m tall...

Today, we put in an order with a guy from Jatujuk market to pickup 6 mango trees from Australia, the 'Bowen' mangoes...huge and tasty. 5 of these trees are only about 1/1.5m tall, but the 5th one is about 2.5m and already has several fruits on it..
IMG_7376.jpg

While wandering around JJ we picked up several more fruit trees and wifey got several vegi plants and herbs etc, including both varieites of lemon grass for cooking and the other for insect repellants and herbicide mixtures.

I also managed to spot the one and only 'Jacaranda' tree I have been able to find here....so snapped it up, they also had a thai variety one which had a violet flower, should have got it as well as it was only 100b...next time.
jacaranda tree 04-07.jpg

Also bought 4 grape vines, 2 red and 2 green varieties. looking for kiwi fruit and passionfruits also now.
Nawty

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:09 pm

This photo I printed and gave it to the monkies on site and told them to build same same...they got to practice on the well first, so lets see how the front fence turns out in a week or so...
SANY0349.jpg

Here is out VIP thunderbox...
IMG_8212.jpg

This will be our eastern boundary fence, same same but different..
IMG_8005.jpg

These heliconias will be placed all the way along the driveway to the house site inbetween the foxtails, 300 in total.
IMG_7377.jpg

SANY0042.jpg

SANY0063.jpg

Forget what these are called, anyway they are nearby the house, reminds me of grannies house.
SANY0064.jpg
Nawty

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Ok, this tree I am seriously looking for, really want one of these, same same the raintree apparently, but orange flowers...and they cannot guarantee the orange flowers until it flowers....doh..
IMG_7160.jpg

Also want this bamboo, I have found it at JJ market, but ridiculous prices, so looking for cheap supply..
bamboo black.jpg

This tusky red grass will be growing around some edges of the rock walls..
07122008260.jpg

My kids enjoying the fruits of my labour and cash....lovely childhood fun...I remember the same memories at my nannas farm searching for frogs.
IMG_8388.jpg

I also bought a dozen of these, so growing them to breed and then BBQ on a regular basis, they are the ozzi redclaw and grow quite large.
redclaw.jpg
redclaw.jpg (31.16 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
Nawty

Postby jazzman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:48 pm

I like the water tank. I never thought of building one like that. I think I will - only a tenth of the cost of buying one.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:00 pm

Forget what these are called, anyway they are nearby the house, reminds me of grannies house.
SANY0064.jpg
[/quote]

Hi Nawty

Great spectacle you are constructing there - hard work but worth every bit

The one you forget looks like a Hydrangea to me - they often change colour of bloom after planting as they are very susceptible to changes in soil acidity. My mother used to change her occasionally just for fun and granny used to swear that tea leaves made hers thrive. I am not any kind of expert on horticulture [your endeavours suggest you maybe are] I just know what I know.
The colour spectrum it flowers in is actually determined by the availability of the aluminium in the soil to the plant. If the pH is low (pH 5-6, acidic) the blooms will be blue. If the pH is high (pH 6.8-7.2, alkaline) the blooms will be pink. If your hydrangea has both pink and blue flowers at the same time, the soil is at, or near neutral.

Ken

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 pm

great pictures and names with them will follow with interest

PS tell the misus you are sorry and stop beating you?????
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Nawty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:01 am

Yes 'Hydrangeas' that them.

They have a nice big flower, no smell, but look good and I have seen them at several national park headquarters up in the mountains where it is cooler.

It is cooler where we are....except now, stinking hot. But they flowered in Bangkok, but did not become bushy or thrive, hope they will up here.

If not, we have planted everything and anything that does not survive or thrive....gets replaced with something that will.

I hope all my big trees grow...I am very impatient and cannot sit around for 3 to 5 years waiting for trees to get big, I like to see them now, not when I near dead, so fingers crossed. Where this block is, it is a thriving business all around for nurseries and big trees, almost everyone for miles grows and sells them. So they must be living more than dying or the business would not be there. Also the tree growers said they mostly die from neglect, if just planted and left, we have the staff there to make sure they are taken care of....or die quicker.
Nawty

Postby Nawty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:08 am

The water tank is a cheap alternative.

These are 1.2m high for each ring and 1.5m wide and I think were around 5/600b each, have to dig out receipt.

Then there is some cement required for the base, mesh and then again inside the tank, plumbing and that about it.

The truck that delivers it will charge a little extra, or be inclusive in the price of the rings, to lift them up and place them correctly and level.

One thing i have found is that the sucker does leak a little bit....weepage more than leak. I am thinking to build another one at the other end of the property, bigger this time at 2m across and this time thinking to go to the maker and ask him to include the 'nam ya' waterproofing in the mix when he makes them and then also in the floor and the joins.

There is a waterproof sealant you can paint inside...forget name, some german sounding thing....but believe it is quite expensive, not sure how much required to coat the entire inside, but certainly makes it watertight.

Also thinking to do a tank on concrete pillars, same design, just up higher with storage space underneath then. Also gives greater gravity feed ability.
Nawty

Postby thaifly » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:07 am

GIDDAY BEANY...its the thaifly from mae rim ...HATS OFF TO YOU.. great selection.....BOWEN MANGOES TREES...being a retired fruit and vegetable providorer for 13 yrs..the bowen mangoes are very good but nawty you do have to look after them with fertilizer big time i cant help you with that info as i was only a buyer and seller...the best mangoes come from the northern terriorty..KENSINGTON PRIDE...is the name...better then q.l.d. bowen.. your heleconias will be a ripper for for your plans..please plant every 2 metres...keep the water up to them and they will grow over two metres high and spread as well...ideal for boundrarys or to cover crawl spaces etc etc the neem tree is a beautiful tree to look at so is your golden tree we have one simirlar... and the rain tree is a beauty...getting back to the heliconias they serve as a fire break as well....tell you beany ..if you get it right planting them in the right positions your property will increase heaps in value for so little outlay...but be reminded it TAKES PLENTY OF TENDER LOVING CARE.. AND COBBER YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK..i am sure you will buy more at later date.. as you can become addicted very easily...its a TREE OF A GIDDAY TO ALL ..ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby cruzing » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:45 pm

Nawty wrote:

The pink globe flowers are hydrangeas....the color depends on the acid in the soil, can be pink or blue, or anywhere in between.

Love the natural swimming hole. Does the water really look that good in person?

Cruzing.
cruzing

Next

Return to Isaan provinces