New village build near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

New village build near Udon

Postby ajarnudon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks are due firstly to all who have posted builds before me, and those who have critiqued them and offered advice. It has helped me no end when I have been planning my own build, and I look forward to your input as I go further down the path. My name is John, an aged expat from Oz, and the time is getting very close to turning that first sod. My Thai wife and I have a block of land in her village about 25 kms by road northwest of Udon Thani. I am still working in BKK - perhaps another year - so as a building supervisor in absentia, progress will be slow in the first twelve months. Nothing - absolutely nothing - will happen while I am not on site. The last time I designed a house was on the Gold Coast in 1991, but that time I had full trust in the contractor I gave the job to. Can’t say I have much confidence about the trades here - it seems like a lottery. But some of you have come up with gems, and I hope to be able to use some of the guys you found to be able and willing.
I fly home to Udon a couple of weekends a month, and I also have nine days off at Christmas, and a full two months mid-March to mid-May. I hope to have the retaining wall and several columns for the house up by New Year, and the roof on (steel roof frame and colorbond sheeting) before I start work again in May. The roof will go on then slabs and blockwork. I think a realistic timeframe would be two years to have most of it done
I am attaching (well I hope to - haven’t done it on CTH before) some drawings for the concept design. I will have it professionally drawn when I have got (hopefully) all the bugs out. I am still playing with sizes etc … so maybe a few more weeks there. Please forgive my lack of skill using my first computer programme for drafting - I am still pulling my hair out when things disappear on me. However, it has saved a lot of trees ending up in my wastepaper bin. Just a couple of things about the drawings:
1. They are not in perspective, but are direct projected elevations. You will soon see that with the elevations where two walls at the front cut away at 45 degrees. I will be happy if they serve to convey my concept to the professional.
2. I have not mastered hidden detail and other intricacies yet, so when you see some green lines, they represent hidden detail in the roofline etc. In the cross section drawing, the blue lines represent the ceilings in the bedrooms. The two bedrooms and the living area will have AC, and I have lowered the ceilings in the bedrooms to reduce the volume of air to be cooled.
The living area and the entry/kitchen however will have full height cathedral ceilings. Blockwork goes up to the 4 m mark, with FC sheets on walls above that level (front and rear). The enclosed living area is around 125 sq m, with a 40 sq m deck at the rear, and a 34 sq m front patio which I see getting a lot of use. A tandem garage/carport on the left serves to keep the sun off most of the house for 8 months of the year, and tall close-planted shade trees on the southwest and west boundaries will help keep the house cool. We have no traffic going past and our closest neighbour is 100 m away. Outlook is over rice paddies and sugar cane.
Please have a look at the drawings and give me your ideas before I get too far down the track. Thanks for reading, John.
Attachments
North Elevation.pdf
North elevation
(58.24 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Section A-A.pdf
Cross section
(66.27 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
East Elevation.pdf
East (front) elevation
(69.07 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Plan View.pdf
Plan view
(100.68 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
ajarnudon

Re: New village build near Udon

Postby ajarnudon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:38 pm

PS...
The white floor area is slab tickness above FGL, while the pink shaded floor is on elevated beams with crawl space beneath.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Day 1. At long last, we have made a start. First stage is the retaining wall and the mini-excavator arrived at 8.30 am to dig holes for the 400 x 400 anchoring columns, and trenches for the footings. Turns out that the operator is my wife’s cousin. Seems like almost everyone in Ban Thueam is a relation of some kind. As soon as the 1m x 1m x 1m holes were dug, they filled up with 30 -50 cms of water (we are surrounded by paddy fields). So we now have 10 miniature swimming pools. A couple of pics showing marking out for the holes and one of the ‘swimming pools’.
20161203_102121.jpg
Marking out

20161203_135023.jpg
Miniature swimming pool

The longest part of the job was digging the 400mm deep trenches. A pic showing the excavator digging a trench. Smaller holes for the intermediate posts will be dug by hand by the wall building crew, but I have given them a flying start.
No more work on site now until Christmas when I have ten days off - hopefully that will be enough time to dry the place out so the wall crew can start. The excavator is owned by the local building supply company, and it can get through a lot of work in a day - THB 5,000 (AUD 200) well spent. The operator knew his stuff and did a god job. He helped me with the measuring and marking out. Jokingly I called him Mr Zero, as he always ended up on the zero end of the tape. As a bonus he has a little English (about as good as my limited Thai), and he laughed when I gave him his new nickname. I bought him a couple of Red Bulls at lunch time, and told him that I would buy him a couple of beers when we finished. Said he doesn’t drink beer, so I said I would drink them for him and my wife slung him 200 baht.
Very happy with Day 1, and hoping the good result is an omen of things to come. A pic of Mr Zero digging one of the trenches.
20161203_143604.jpg
Mr Zero on excavator
ajarnudon

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:41 pm

That is a nice ditch, Good start looking forward to this.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:39 pm

BKKBILL wrote:That is a nice ditch, Good start looking forward to this.

Thanks BKKBILL. I am currently trying to source 100 mm slotted flexible aggie pipe (like I have previously used in Oz) to lay along the base of the wall and drain water to the outside, and filter sleeving to keep the silt out. Hours of searching on the net have come up with zilch. Has anyone seen this stuff around (Udon preferably)?

On a different subject, saw these 390x140x190 blocks (with two holes at the front, three holes at the rear 90 wide I think) at a locally owned building supply Co. They look very similar to the ones that Pipoz used - he called them Superblocks in his post, and I heard a snippet when one of the clerks used what sounded to be the same word.
20161208210304.jpg

Now the block on the left looked the real deal, very solid with smooth surfaces. The rest of the blocks in the stack (typical of the one on the right) didn't look at all similar, and seemed to lacking a lot of the cement that made the one on the left look so smooth. They tried to tell me that they were the same block, that the smooth one was just older??? Does rain really convert the rough blocks into the smooth ones, or are they haaving a lend of me? They felt about the same weight, but looked nothing alike. Price quoted: 19 baht/block by the truckload (a couple of thousand), no delivery charge for 25 kms. Comments on quality and price please.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:38 pm

BKKBILL wrote: It's not who you know, it's whom you know.

Hope I'll be forgiven for diverging off topic for a short while - I love your catchphrase BKKBILL. It used to get my hackles up when the Cambridge University Press book that my Thai students use indicates that 'Who did she speak to?' is perfectly OK. Recent study on my part however has brought about the realisation that the rules of grammar are really only to be learned when acquiring second or subsequent languages. We acquire our grammar not, as Chomsky would have, by some kind of inbuilt grammar module, but as infants our brains are wired to analyse repetitive data input from people speaking around us, and form our grammar based on that input, and rejecting forms that are missing from that input. Did your mother ever teach you rules of grammar, or were you perfectly able to communicate without any grammar lessons? So, the grammar one would acquire in various English-speaking locales (Chicago southside, Glasgow, Kingston, Melbourne or Auckland) will be just as different as the accents and the vocab. Language, including grammar, is a living thing, and it has to be recognised that the rules of grammar should only reflect current usage in a particular time and place. They are totally unnecessary for native speakers, and are only useful in subsequent language acquisition. Nevertheless, for an ancient like myself, it will still be, 'For Whom the Bell Tolls.'
ajarnudon

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:47 pm

The blocks in your photo are just concrete blocks, they are not Superblock or AAC, they have no insulation properties and are twice as heavy as Superblock. If you go here : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=615 you'll see what Superblock or AAC blocks look like. They weigh half the weight of the concrete blocks are easier to lay and take half the time to glue them into place.
There are photos later on how the wall should look after it has been done. Superblock have thermal properties, concrete blocks do not.
Roger Ramjet

Postby ajarnudon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:49 am

I am well aware of what AAC looks like, and Blind Freddie could see that these ones are concrete. It appears from Pipoz's posts that his local BS shop calls them superblocks, and my own experience confirms that that is what these locally-manufactured, larger-than-usual blocks are known as in the industry around Udon. Most likely a moniker given them by the manufacturer. I am not going to join the years-long debate on the relative properties of concrete and AAC blocks. I am simply seeking input from anyone who has had experience with this type of block, and whether anyone has found them cheaper than what I am being quoted.
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:32 pm

[quote="On a different subject, saw these 390x140x190 blocks (with two holes at the front, three holes at the rear 90 wide I think) at a locally owned building supply Co. They look very similar to the ones that Pipoz used - he called them Superblocks in his post, and I heard a snippet when one of the clerks used what sounded to be the same word.
20161208210304.jpg

Now the block on the left looked the real deal, very solid with smooth surfaces. The rest of the blocks in the stack (typical of the one on the right) didn't look at all similar, and seemed to lacking a lot of the cement that made the one on the left look so smooth. They tried to tell me that they were the same block, that the smooth one was just older??? Does rain really convert the rough blocks into the smooth ones, or are they haaving a lend of me? They felt about the same weight, but looked nothing alike. Price quoted: 19 baht/block by the truckload (a couple of thousand), no delivery charge for 25 kms. Comments on quality and price please.[/quote]

Was the price 19 Baht per block for the cheaper looking ones or for the 390x140x190 blocks (with two holes at the front, three holes at the rear 90 wide I think) at a locally owned building supply Co, arguably called a "Superblock".

If it is 19 Baht for block for the Superblock look, then that is a very good price, because I paid 35 Baht per block 3 months back, for one that looked virtually the same

Whatever one calls these Concrete Superblocks, they are noticeably stronger than the standard Thai ones, as I needed to use an angle grinder to cut my electrical wall box and other holes in them. My AC man used a coring machine for his pipework

pipoz
pipoz

Postby ajarnudon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:01 pm

Hi Pipoz
The 19 baht price was for the 390x140x190 blocks with two holes (at the front of the pic). Didn't ask for a price on the three hole 90mm blocks. Before I place an order I might take my sledge hammer to one on the roadside to see what kind of force is needed before its compressive strength gives out - just to satisfy myself, although they feel quite heavy.
ajarnudon

Postby weescotsguy66 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Superblock make both type of blocks, the white blocks we call Superblock has got the thermal properties as previous stated but they also make the concrete (Autoclave Aerated Concrete) type which do not so this may be reason for the confusion in names.

http://www.superblockthailand.com/servi ... menu7.html
weescotsguy66

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:05 pm

weescotsguy66 wrote:Superblock make both type of blocks, the white blocks we call Superblock has got the thermal properties as previous stated but they also make the concrete (Autoclave Aerated Concrete) type which do not so this may be reason for the confusion in names.

Your confused, Superblock (Australian name for AAC) are one and the same. AAC is the process whereby aluminum is added. European's call them by their original patented name AAC, Australians call them Superblock, the only difference is the size they come in.
Roger Ramjet

Postby ajarnudon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Went back to the shop today and confirmed prices - the 140mm wide blocks are 19 baht each (for a couple of thousand at a time), and the 90mm wide blocks are 12 baht each for any quantity. It turns out that this building supply outlet also owns the factory that manufactures them; they call the 140mm concrete blocks 'superblocks' because they are so much bigger and stronger than the ones normally used by Thais in house construction. Nothing to do at all with AAC blocks. AAC is virtually unknown to most Thais around Udon, and if any Thai around this neck of the woods speaks about superblocks, they are referring to 140mm wide, two-hole concrete blocks, not AAC. Asked them about 390x190x190 blocks - wanted to use these in pillars in the retaining wall with reo and concrete fill - but they don't have moulds for them.
ajarnudon

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:53 pm

ajarnudon wrote:Went back to the shop today and confirmed prices - the 140mm wide blocks are 19 baht each (for a couple of thousand at a time), and the 90mm wide blocks are 12 baht each for any quantity. It turns out that this building supply outlet also owns the factory that manufactures them; they call the 140mm concrete blocks 'superblocks' because they are so much bigger and stronger than the ones normally used by Thais in house construction. Nothing to do at all with AAC blocks. AAC is virtually unknown to most Thais around Udon, and if any Thai around this neck of the woods speaks about superblocks, they are referring to 140mm wide, two-hole concrete blocks, not AAC. Asked them about 390x190x190 blocks - wanted to use these in pillars in the retaining wall with reo and concrete fill - but they don't have moulds for them.

Just a slight correction, most Thai people who are in the building trade are very well used to using AAC block, even in small villages. We are only about 50km south of udon and AAC is now a standard material. It maybe called "superblock" by some or by another name. Most places I see being built now have the characteristic white of AAC.

My builder is based in Udon and mostly uses AAC.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Doesn't seem to have filtered through to my neck of the woods yet - either in the village or in Udon city. Nearly all of the construction I see is grey block. But I am glad to hear what you have said - my plan is to have double skins around the air-con living area and bedrooms, one of which will be AAC. I am a fair way off that stage yet, but would like to chat again later about your builder when the time comes. Thanks for the input.
ajarnudon

Next

Return to Your Building Story