internet speed

Requests for changes or modifications to the forum software settings or other wish list items. Also, post any problems you are having using the forum here.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

geordie

internet speed

Post by geordie »

Having a few problems recently with posting and reading stuff on the forum not unusual because i have been having a few problems with the laptop anyway
The problem is that quite often when i click on a page and scroll down it takes a good minuite or so to get the page and pictures
When i load something it can take 1 1/2 - 2mins for it to go off then another minuite or so for the page to return this is not all the time but varies and can be really anoying an example was while i was stealing rodgers picture,s it took forever to upload and then rodger managed to put the missing one in for me while i was trying to do it(thanks rodger) i have just upgraded my conection this end from 10 ??? to 20??? its broadband so it should theoretically
be better its made no difference to the forum however on other stuff it now apears before i finish typing (almost) so a noticable difference there and the laptop problem is persisting as in when i go on ebay it locks up ??? but only on ebay then i have to power down and start again so i now avoid ebay

EDIT this uploaded in 3-4 seconds my previous on rodger thread 1 1/2 mins :?:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
dozer
Site Admin

Re: internet speed

Post by dozer »

When did the problems start and are you still having the problems? Also, is it slow on other Thailand based forums?
geordie

Post by geordie »

probably about 4 weeks but initially i blamed my laptop then my broadband conection but its getting progresively worse and my son checked out this end tells me it fine and he was suprised at how fast the laptop performed unfortunately the forum was having a good time and replies were instant but as i said earlier that can change mid session also i get a line at the bottom telling me that it is awaiting reply from ect which could be anything causing it
but when i am waiting i can actually click and open a new conection to the forum sometimes it comes up and the upload has not started another time i get an error page saying wrong address

1min 10 secs for return of posting 9 24 am

1min 30 sec for second test ie:edit
geordie

Post by geordie »

9 54 am speed test

under 15 seconds from submit to return of page althogh the mesage this has been sucessfully posted is almost imediate

Another failure is if i log on to a page with pictures it locks with the pictures apearing line by line almost and can take a good couple of mins for the full thing to download if at all sometimes i have to give up and hit refresh if the fails i log of and back on again if its the same then i give up
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

You are not alone. In Bangkok on my adsl connection I was also having problems with pages not wanting to load. SOmetimes I would reload and they would appear.
geordie

Post by geordie »

at 10 04 i logged that it had slowed again went out as it was taking so long and the post is not here ????? it did not load it
this loaded in 15 seconds

speed test shos .7 mb upload speed 5.4 download speed
geordie

Post by geordie »

Been in touch with my provider and apparently i do have a problem here and should be getting 19 mb download speed not 5.4 5.7 so a new modem will be installed tommorow
sor that i can get in the poo 4 x faster than i can now :lol: :lol:
geordie

Post by geordie »

still having the same problem with speed and pictures not apearing completely so having to wait for download to complete itself
i am speed testing on wireless at 8.9 download ;; on cable to modem 19 mb download speed the wife watches thai tv and has now tested her program and its working great no buffering so the new modem has helped her but not me ??
I still get a line across the bottom saying waiting for reply and a load of no,s
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

How is the speed you get on other websites or forums? Normally my speed is a pretty good indication of how the response time is in Thailand (as I have no special connection but based in Thailand) and I have noticed no degradation in response times. This posted in 3 seconds.
MGV12

Post by MGV12 »

No problems for me either

FUTAB..........
geordie

Post by geordie »

I cannot compare to other forums i do not us them I have had a new modem installed and a package upgrade so when i speed test it now shows significantly higher speeds if i wire to the modem as oposed to wireless i can get 19mb download and .7 mb upload but even wireless i am getting 7.5 - 9.2 mb my wife watches thai tv online and that was stalling and starting stalling and starting but with the upgrades her tv is perfect however no change here
it stalls and i get a message telling me its waiting even now writing this i have a message across the bottom saying
(1 item remaining)downloading picture http;//www.coolhouse.com/forum
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

I cannot compare to other forums i do not us them
The reason it is important is to determine if it is a internet problem (ie routing to the server) or something wrong on the server itself. The server does occasionally have problems which auto notifies the host.... during these problem times all members would be impacted. However if it is something in the internet routing from your ISP to the destination server, there is nothing that can be done by us to resolve the problem. The problem could possibly be at your ISP or internet traffic from there to the client. Likely if this is the case you would see some similar behavior in other web sites with a similar routing.
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

no worries use z otis spudnekker method
a.
Get a tabbed browser
b.
Bookmark u fav news pages
c.
Open u cth page of choice
d.
While u cth page grinding away open new tab (mo grinding means mo users doin as u)
e.
Open tab 2 to u fav news items ( i start @ reuters as is fast n image free us.mobile.reuters.com/category/topNews?p=4&irpc=932 : then move on to www.idrudgereport.com/
f.
Enjoy u news etc and remember cth is free : virtually commercial free : & comes with a money back warranty
g.
Ensure u wifey tv not stealing u bandwidth by benchmarking cth against simular text only pages on channel B o u browser tabs

[:-o
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
geordie

Post by geordie »

with 19 mb available i thought i would be flying but its stop start with no pattern i have lost completely 3/4 posts leaving them to be uploaded and reading another page and time of day makes no difference
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

yes i share u experience

one source told me it was my connection

this was refuted soundly as i mentioned
it happened when working off a 1st class system (saudi aramco) to such an extent i took to using a text editor on my hp laptop (win xp ms inet exployer 6) and pasting my posts so if they were eaten
it is just a matter of reopen ; paste : resubmit
now i do most work from opera browser which caches really well for prior 3 links so is just matter of ''back button'' and resub
then was issue of long responce from cth server so in opera i would do repeated proceedure & get multi post of same material
this was drivin mods mad so i devised '' new tab '' link over to page i sub'd on then; review if post was up' if so no resub from opera cache
there r other issues simular will discuss next
the op

it ev
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))