EVERYTHING you NEED to know for your first SWIMMING POOL

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: EVERYTHING you NEED to know for your first SWIMMING POOL

Postby jazzman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:45 pm

To all intents and purposes, a basic skimmer pool cannot have automatic top up (there are me exceptions). However, most skimmers can be equipped with a discrete pipe from the water supply, but it would need to be turned on and off manually.

On a small pool, you could probably get away with a balance tank that will constantly hold at least the equivalent of 5% of the pool shell volume. Pools that have a drainage gutter somewhere below the lip of the coping are usually connected to a holding tank.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:33 pm

IMG_0020.JPG
What a life.?
IMG_0019.JPG
Finished pool ! 1 year later.
IMG_0018.JPG
Putting on the pebble crete finish.
IMG_0014.JPG
Excavating
IMG_0016.JPG
Ready for finishing
IMG_0015.JPG
Spraying the Shotcrete
As a point of interest ,here are a few photos of a pool that I had built 25 yrs ago on a 5 acre block 1 hr from Sydney., It was what is called a natural style , kidney shape ,2.5mt deep where the diving board is ,sloping up to a small beach at the other end. I built a cave out of granite slabs near the diving board, plus a water fall from the roof of the cave. One side had the normal drain gutter and surround while the opposite side sloped up into boulders and plants. It all had a Pebble -crete surface finish. The shape was first excavated , formwork around the top edges, then Shotcrete concrete which had these about 50m.m.long steel needles in the mix. This was sprayed to a thickness of 100m.m. I had a look at the pool last week when in the area and it was as good as gold. ( I sold a few years later as I got fed up with cutting 5 acrea of grass, no cheap labour in Oz.! )
Mike Judd

Postby fredlk » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Mike Judd wrote:here are a few photos of a pool that I had built 25 yrs ago

Beautiful.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Mike Judd wrote:here are a few photos of a pool that I had built 25 yrs ago on a 5 acre block 1 hr from Sydney
MJ.JPG
MJ.JPG (41.08 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

A beautiful blue lagoon ... looks more like Bali than Oz. Was the Pebble-crete coloured or is that a reflection of the sky?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Yes it was lovely, missed the pool. The Pebble -crete had a few different stones mainly brownish and white though, so it must rely on the sky reflection, always looked inviting. It was a salt water system but all pools need that constant working to keep looking great.
Mike Judd

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:14 pm

The pool looks very nice,
Though I will not be building a pool, have one in NY but never use it, tired of maintaining it, thinking of covering it up.
But I love you waterfall design and after I finish building in Thailand I wanted to do something like that in a corner of our property in Thailand.
I did some research on the internet about the creation of realistic looking artificial rocks,
and I don't seem to be finding a good step by step process. Did you do the rocks your self, and if so do you have directions on how to do such a thing, or have some advice on the subject.I am sure others would be interested also.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:04 am

That's always the problem here in Oz, it's a lot of work for some one even if you do have all the latest equipment . All right when the kids are young and haven't started chasing the opposite sex and other interests, but then it's left to you. That's why I just want a small pool to cool off in. The rocks that I used all those years ago were carted from a 100 miles away, 10 ton for $1,500 with a few big flat ones specified for the cave, they were all Granite for their hardness and wearing resistance.I had to have several goes at stacking the rocks in the cave to get them stable besides the cement between. There are companies here that do all that sort of stuff in concrete to look like natural rock though, Most of the Zoos and Marine parks are done that way. I think you will find that they first build a frame in reinforcing steel to what ever shape they want, cover it with chicken wire all over, then plaster it with render cement in the colour they want (Grey or sandy ) The same way that guys used to build D.I.Y.Concrete Yachts years ago. The beauty of it is there is no end to the size or shape , those mountains etc; at Disneyland are done that way. Hope that helps, Mike.
Mike Judd

Postby KoolTie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:54 am

I'm doing some research for a build later this year. I will do it myself after having contacted domestic companies. Scam flags galore. I know of some proven competent builders for labor.

I am doing online research as I await some books to arrive from Amazon. One being:

"2012 Uniform Swimming Pool, Spa and Hot Tub Code"
International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials; Paperback; $61.00

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in this thread already. Amazon does deliver to Thailand.
KoolTie

Postby sirineou » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:53 am

KoolTie wrote:I'm doing some research for a build later this year. I will do it myself after having contacted domestic companies. Scam flags galore. I know of some proven competent builders for labor.

I am doing online research as I await some books to arrive from Amazon. One being:

"2012 Uniform Swimming Pool, Spa and Hot Tub Code"
International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials; Paperback; $61.00

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in this thread already. Amazon does deliver to Thailand.

This is the PDF version on line and it is free. I did not take the time to read it as I have no interest is swimming pools, but I hope it is of some help to you.
http://www.waterparks.org/pdfFileUpload/ISPSC-PV1.pdf
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby KoolTie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:27 pm

sirineou wrote:This is the PDF version on line and it is free. I did not take the time to read it as I have no interest is swimming pools, but I hope it is of some help to you.
http://www.waterparks.org/pdfFileUpload/ISPSC-PV1.pdf

It's from a different standards body. I may post a comparison review when my book arrives. It could be a couple of months as they are out of stock, so I may use this in the interim to draft the pool design and such. I've got a house and a fitness room addition under my belt, so I may as well do the pool, too...

Good info.
KoolTie

Postby Markz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:26 pm

jazzman,

How can I contact you about some pool advice in Udon Thani any email ID or tel number you could PM me?

Thanks.
Markz

Postby pattayapope » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Markz

Suggest you send a note to Dozer who can forward to Jazzman, you don't have any PM capabilties at the moment.[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby Markz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Will do thanks for the heads up...
Markz

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:12 am

Is it really 6 years since I started this thread with that first long post of advice for anyone interested in building or buying a pool? Amazing how the time flies along, and how the prices fly up. Some of the prices I mentioned back then look really old fashioned today. The only thing that appears to be dropping is the quality. Except among the Steintischsäufer, swimming pool topics are always a good conversation starter among expats in the tropics, and boy, do I get to hear it all! I've seen it all too, but to avoid being accused of Schadenfreude, I won't post the pics.

So it's time for an update.

I've seen some wicked rip-offs just in the last six moths, including a ฿6 mio infinity pool on the side of a mountain in Kao Yai that had to be smashed up and started again, an in-ground concrete pool in southern Isan that disappeared into the ground in a mess of tiles, bricks, mortar, and wire 24 hours after it was filled, a community pool on a new development in Udon that was plumbed to return the dirty backwash back into the pool, and three luxury pools in Krabi that needed the entire technology including salt water chlorinators ripping out and replacing after just three years and another unfinished bare pool shell in the same area where the 'contractor' took a whacking big first down payment and then vaporised to some remote corner of Scandinavia. What did all these pools have in common? You guessed - they were all built by 'professionals'.

Of course, everyone in the Land of Smirks is a 'pro', whether they are natives or expats, and it's interesting to see how the geography of the pool business here has changed over the past six years through corporate earthquakes, and floods caused by those 'competent' house builders who try to build the pool for their clients. The most interesting feature of the landscape is that those names who who became almost household through their aggressive marketing and sponsoring of various fora, seem to have slipped into their own landslides of insolvency. The country is crawling with 'companies' that are two-pool wonders, while those who have stayed around and monopolised the market for a long time have priced themselves out of it.

Good pools aren't cheap anywhere in the world - but don't always blame the builder. A pool is a rich kid's toy and carries a Rolex or an Armani price tag because that's what the manufacturers of the equipment charge, and as if there weren't enough profit to had already, corner cutting is rife on the construction. Even some famous brands such as Poolrite of Australia have collapsed, leaving their customers here with no product support or spare parts. There is currently an enquiry doing the rounds for a 500 ฿ handle for for a Poolrite multiport valve - the pool owner has resigned to the purchase of a complete new filter by another brand for 17,000.00 baht

Reading through the old posts on this thread, I still see obscure brands being mentioned that I've never heard of before. Many of them come from China. There is no workaround for quality - anything worth installing comes with the support of an established network of accredited distributors and dealers, so avoid the no-name kit that comes covered in dust from a chain of builders' merchants. Spare parts even of reputable brands are horrendously expensive, but a good dealer knows how to work around this to keep his clients: he will cannibalize new stock items to supply replacement parts quickly and at reasonable prices; it's a good business plan, he still makes a profit, and everyone is happy.

The bottom line is, stick to the reputable brands of stuff such as Emaux, Hayward, Astral, Pentair, and Zodiac, who have networks of established agents here, and be sure to ask about after-sales and guarantee service , and search the net to see who the real agents are - chances are that your 'builder' bought the technical equipment at retail prices from a pool shop, doubled the price to you, and didn't even keep the receipt for it. And remember, that the same 4 x 10 pool that should be built for around 700,000 baht on the mainland, will be quoted from 400,000 to 2 million by 'builders' in the same area. It's not rocket science to figure out the cost of the materials, equipment, and labour, plus a reasonable margin for overheads and profit for a genuine company; it's all here on CoolThaiHouse, and if it's not, don't be a pool fool,

Just ask.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby scudman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:17 pm

@Jazzman - Glad to see you are still active on this thread. I have read this entire post and as I am planning a house/pool build for later this year, the info here and you as a resource to bounce questions off, will give me the confidence to give it a DIY go. Thanks.
scudman

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool