EVERYTHING you NEED to know for your first SWIMMING POOL

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: EVERYTHING you NEED to know for your first SWIMMING POOL

Postby Rick B » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:12 pm

CarlyJo, try the Yellow Pages, either in book form or on the internet, for the Nashville area. Look under Pools.
Rick B

Postby jazzman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:14 pm

Good to know that this site is so well known. There are actually around a dozen Nashvilles in the USA, but searching fails to reveal one in Thailand :wink: nevertheless, we are happy to provide any technical info on pools.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Chlorine, chlorinators, and Cyanuric Acid

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:37 pm

See the notes I posted at viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3348
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby conrad » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi Jazzman,

Will You tell where in Thailand it is possible to buy Digital pH testers and other equipment for water testing at resonable prices
conrad

Postby jazzman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:12 pm

Whatever the current board policy is, or may be, I prefer not to make recommendations and/or provide links. However, I found out through the Internet and it proved to be quite easy. Just use Google or Yahoo and some logical keywords, plus 'Thailand' and you should get some answers.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:41 am

As I intend building a small pool (6 mt x 3mt ) later in the U of my house with a 3 mt Patio surround. I have read through all the info on it. Pricing all the various equipment comes into play , Thai prices vis Oz as lots of stuff comes from there, but one item that must definitely be local made or coming from China, and that is the plastic grid used in the Infinity type pools. I see where they cost up to B1,000 per mt in Thailand, well the cheapest I could find here in Oz was B 4,000 per mt.? As I want to use a grid covered drain all around my hose to catch the roof water, feeding into a in-ground tank, I will have to explore all alternatives as I need 84 mts . I wouldn't think it would cost that much to make a stainless one up.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:43 am

One good brand of genuinine UV stabilised ABS is made locally in Thailand by a respected manufacturer of a complete range of ABS fixtures and fittings for pools and is also exported from here all over Asia and to Australia. Hence the reason why, when you add FOB, CIF, customs duty, importers', regional distributors', and retailers' mark ups it is much more expensive when it reaches your local pool shop in Oz . It is supplied in several width and prices start in Thailand at around ฿ 700 per meter. Try searching in Google using some relevant key words such as grating, swimming pool, Thailand, etc. That should provide you with a list of suppliers. Some suppliers offer quantity discounts, and some might send you a free sample.

If your pool is to be 18 m2, beware of the prices you might be offered for pumps and filters. Generally a sand filter and a pump (0.75 - 1.00 HP) together should not cost much more than about ฿ 25,000. Expect to pay a little more for the Haywardˇ brand.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:00 am

Thank's Jazzman, I will certainly look up all the suppliers . Apart from getting a quote from that Pool mob outside Khon Kaen to do the whole job if their estimator sharpens his pencil first.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:35 pm

He won't sharpen his pencil, because I just happened to be in there a few days ago and I noticed that some standard fixtures and fittings retail there at up to 4 times (no misprint) the prices offered by other shops. If you're thinking of a turn-key, look for prices in the ฿16,000 per m2 range for a pool with balance tank system, and ask to see some pools (take a good look at the quality of finish of the tiling, and the tidiness of the plumbing in the pump house). Beware also of claims in KK for overly expensive pile driving.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:59 pm

I find that price ridiculously high given that it's just concrete and tiles mainly. I think I will be giving my two guys some more work with a bonus for a good job . Plus unless their equipment prices are near the same as Oz I will be bringing the 1 h.p. motor and salt water chlorinator over myself. I can't under stand why some one isn't using Gunite or Shotcrete to build pools, like they do everywhere else in the world. So quick and easy, just dig a neat hole, put some backing where it's out of the ground, plumbing then tie the steel all in one piece , then spray the concrete for the whole pool in one go. I had a pool done 20 years ago where there was no reo- steel, the high strength concrete came with millions of steel needles in the mix(40MPa) It had been proved to be strong and durable used in wharf piles. I tried to break a lump of it the next day with a sledge hammer, but couldn't.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:12 pm

Actually Mike, ฿16,000 per m2 is highly competitive when compared with the prices of many in the area, as you'll see when you have totalled up all your materials costs, added skilled labpour, and a modest margin for overheads, commercial premises, and profit. Naturally you can save on some of these if you DIY. There are parts (most in fact) of KK where piles are needed to stop pool shells sinking into what was the bed of a large lake. Piles have nothing to do with the actual strength of the concrete. The reason why shotcrete and gunnite are not used here is because labour is so cheap, the equipment is a heavy investment, and trying to train people to do it would not be easy. That said, shotcrete and gunnite are far from the standard way of building pools everywhere else in the world - I've been many places in the world and seen how the pools are built.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:04 am

You are certainly right about the labour equation , Thailand has a long way to go before it gets to the same as Oz where any equipment that cuts out Man hrs is used on most projects. I can remember pushing a wheel barrow 50 yrs ago ,on my first concrete pour, now it's pumped to every part of the pour. Also I think out-side of Thailand the time factor comes into it maybe a bit more and with the Shotcrete method here in Oz and I think the U.S. as well that's a big advantage. Thanks for your input though.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 pm

While I still have lots of time to decide, would you mind going into the Pro's and Con's of Balance Tanks and their need. I think they are only used with the Wet or Infinity type pools, am I correct? While I like that type and the look ,with the pool being only 6mt x 3 mt situated in the U of my house with 3mt patio surround between the pool and the house, plus my intention of having a grated gutter under the roof over hang to catch the rain water leading to an in-ground tank, I thought while not impossible, it would be simpler to go for the normal pool with the water circulating via the gutter just below the edge. Then all rain water from the roof and surrounding area could slope to the gutter that would be roughly all round the middle of the patio. That way there shouldn't be too much water from the pool going into the water storage tank. If you have posted info about Balance Tanks before I will look it up.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Mike, I probably have posted something about balance tanks, but to save you looking it up:
(truncated post, continuing...)
Balance tanks are certainly not only used for infinty edge or waterfall edge pools, but they are used mainly to create a 'flush-to-deck' effect. This means that the water level is flush with the pool surrounding. Apart from the pure aesthetics, this system ensures that the pool water level is kept constant, and the tank allows for automatic topping up with a float valve.

The downside is, especially when using a salt-water chlorination system, that during the raini season, the water will get diluted and salt will be lost through the tank's overflow. One single heavy shower can put up to 30cm of water in a pool. That said, it is a minor disadvantage however, and is more than adequately compensated by the no-cost chlorine produced by the generator. Heavy rain will of course also dilute the chemicals in the water of a skimmer type pool too.

It's therefore not recommend to channel rain water to the pool or the tank, also because the rain water will upset the delicate pH (the most important feature of correct water balance and sanitation), thus requiring more money to be spent on pH Plus or pH Minus.

Although slightly more costly in construction, nowadays most new pools are built with a balance tank and gutter. A skimmer pool is now generally only considered necessary if it is impossible or impractical to build an underground tank. In the case of a small pool in the confines of a U-shaped house, this may be the only solution.

A balance tank must be of adequate size to ensure that the pump never runs dry. In spite of modern shaft seals, a pump mostly relies on the water for its cooling (although they have a small fan inside). A very hot pump might not actually seize up immediately, but the heat will eventually destroy even the best seals. Damaged seals will then allow water into the bearings, and finally the pump will seize. Damaged pumps can be repaired, but as swimming pool equipment carries a luxury price tag, the cost of service may be almost as high as the purchase of a new pump.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks for that, but just to get it straight , the balance tank or skimmer pool is more or less an automatic topper upper or outlet of the pool instead of one putting the hose in to do it when the level is down . So what size roughly would one be with my pool 6mt x3mt x 1.5mt = 27cu,mts . The pool I did have several years ago never had anything like that as far as I recall , it just had the old fashion gutter all around under the edge with the outlet up one end, so apart from the rain I just topped it up with a hose. Sorry if this is becoming a bit of a nuisance I just want to be as informed as possible before jumping into the deep end with this pool building, even though I might end up contracting it out.
Mike Judd

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool