EVERYTHING you NEED to know for your first SWIMMING POOL

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Postby Nawty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:56 pm

yeah yeah hold ya hoses, patiense......I busy complaining about laywers and my anger and harted for the world....gotit ?
Nawty

Re:

Postby jazzman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:23 pm

grant wrote:Does anyone know what the duty + taxes are on pool equipment imported into Thailand? I priced out a chlorinator here in Phuket a few days ago for 98,000 baht and the same unit can be bought online in Australia for 22,000 baht. I'm curious to know how much of the price difference is due to taxes and duties and how much is due to margin.

Does this answer some of your questions?
Ex. Australia 22,000
CIF 3,000
duty 1,540
'luxury' tax 1,000
importer margin + 30%
we're up to 35,802
distributor + 30%
we're up to 46,542
Phuket retailer + 50%
w'ere up to 69,813
+7%VAT = 73,303 probable Phuket price

Seen on sale in Pattaya at 58,500, in Khon Kaen at 72,000
Seen on sale direct from importer (cash & carry) from 46,545.00 inc. VAT
Probable consultant price 53,400 inc. VAT
Probable professional installation cost 5,000 - 8,000 baht (but can be installed and set up yourself with a little knowledge).

Models for standard sized domestic pools start at around 34,500. (cash & carry).
PM me for the details of a local distributor / installer at reasonable prices near you.
Download the brochure of the SURECHLOR 4000 which includes many important features not integrated in other brands of the same price.
Last edited by jazzman on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Re: EVERYTHING you NEED to know for your first SWIMMING POOL

Postby mtsinternational » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Reference Swimming Pool Lighting: Khun Jazz or other pool knowledgable individual. Pool contractor is offering choice of Espana EAS1514 100w 12V underwater lights orBoss LS-PE100 lights. There does not seem to be any web page that offers info on these 2 brands. I know enough that I do not want Chinese manufactured lights but other than that is either one of the 2 choices better than the other? should I avoid them both? and if so, what would be the recommended make model and source for lights. Pool is 5 x 9 meters with avg depth of approx 1.5 meters. Prompt response appreciated.
mtsinternational

Postby jazzman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:09 pm

Anyone joining this thread at this point, please read the lead article on the first page which I have updated today, 03 Dec. 2008, and all the other members' interesting contributions.

Underwater lighting: In my experience, having repaired dozens of pool lights for friends in the Pattaya area, all lights, whatever the cost and quality, are susceptible to the same problems. Namely:
    - Wrong installation by the pool constructor.
    - Bulbs blowing after a relatively short time of 2 months, to 2 years. Bulbs are not made by the light manufacturers and are therefore not covered by guarantee. Spares should always be at hand; they often cost 2 to 3 times more (12V 100W: 400 - 600 baht; 300W sealed beam units:1,000 to 1,500 baht) when purchased in a pool shop, and are extremely awkward to replace even though the housings are designed for the bulbs to be replaced while the pool is full.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby newbie001 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:54 pm

great site and great information.

I am in the process of designing and preparing for a future build. I suspect that I won't actually build until next year but it is smart to get things done and solid planning ahead of time. We have a nice plot of land overlooking a river with a few mountains in the background. I thought it an excellent location for a nice little patio area and pool. I will be making a small barbeque area attached to a 3x4 meter changing room/ bathroom shower. I also thought with the extended roof would make a nice shaded area for lounging. I had decided to store the filters, pumps on the side in a sheltered but not fully enclosed area.

I have a few questions about construction though. I have built a house in Thailand(meaning that I physically did the work not supervised a Thai crew) and have been on many constructions sites in the states. I am not an expert builder by any means, but I am capable of most simple and many intermediate tasks. There are definately many things that I am not good at.

OK. to the questions. It seems that a lot of construction is over kill here. Most foundations in the states are usually no more than 24" 60cm edge and 15cm thick. However here many sites I have seen have 90 cm or even 1.5 meters for a 2 floor house. I think that it isn't necessary.

I have also seen a lot of people post about swimming pools that are 20cm thick with two layers of 4 hune rebar spaced 15cm center. In the US most pools are 15 cm thick one layer of 3 hune rebar spaced at 30cm center. I wonder if it is because the soil isn't as firm here. My location the clay is quite hard and thick. I am certain that during rain season it might be less but is it really necessary to have two layers of rebar.

I have also seen that many of the Thai built pools excavate their holes and then put a layer of block on the exterior, build the mold and fill. Why would you want block on the outside? Why not just use the exterior soil as the out side barrier? It seems like a lot of extra work that offers little in strength. Unless their reason is because they are not accurate at shaping the dig.

I have also seen people talking about sinking posts 15 meters deep under the foundation. Is that really necessary? I know that when they build houses spaced ever few meters they usually bore holes and pour columns before they layout the foundation edge. WE just don't usually do that for residential houses in the states.

My plan is to build roughly 6 meter x 10 meter by 1 1/2 meter pool. I am still waffling on rectangular (ease of construction) and a more freeform design (more elegant but more difficult getting the forms built.

Is there a place that rents out concrete forms, or will I just have to make my own using studs and plywood?
Someone mentioned about a vibration system for settling the concrete during the pour. Where does one find this and is it that difficult to use. What we have done in the past is have some rebar with bent ends in the mold and pull it up and down during the pour to settle everything. It is low tech but worked allright. But since the pool needs to be really solid I would prefer a more reliable system.

I priced out the rebar, concrete, calculated tile costs, forms, patio surrounding, with tanks, filters and salt water chlorinator, skimmer, lights etc, and 3 laborers to assist. The total was slightly under 200,000, 250,000 if I have to go 20cm with two layers of rebar and sinking some concrete posts.

Thanks for any help that you may offer.
newbie001

Postby jazzman » Mon May 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi,
Welcome on board :)
Remember that your pool is going to hold about 100 tons of water. I've seen new houses crack up here (Korat) after 16 months (April 2009) because of insufficient footings built by rogue labour. As in any country, and I assume the USA is no different, soil types can differ greatly from one locality to another. Sand is looser than hard clay, and would need piles sinking. Most professional concrete pools are also built on a structure of 20 x 40 ground beams, so you can almost double your need for rebar and concrete for the floor.
Unless you want to invest in a very expensive pump, ensure that your pump house is as close to the suction points (skimmer and main drains) as possible, and don't forget to include a vacuum port in the design. Everything you forget will be too late after you have cast your concrete, including underwater lights.
It is possible to build your own pool, but if in doubt, get some professional advice, or invest in a set of engineering plans. As you are already saving over 50% on the cost of a professional turn-key job, it might be worth it. They would probably give you a BOQ and a list of suppliers too.
jazzman

Postby newbie001 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks. I figured the beams would be at least 20x40 and I usually use rebar columns 6 pieces of 4 hune that are connected with 2hune for the ground beams and then pour a 15cm slab. That has been strong enough for most anything that I have heard of.

for ground beams how many cross sections should I have for 6 meter x 10 meter? I figured four sides and one in the center at 5 meters but perhaps 2 in the center spaced at about 3.35 meters would be stronger.

Is it really necessary to drive 15 meter columns under the beam foundation? I never heard of such a thing. Like I said our ground is solid clay and not sandy or loamy at all.

The bungalow changing room will be approximately 2-3 meters from the edge of the pool. I roughly measured that the pipes would be about 7 meters from the center of the main drain. I will have to run some calculations after reading the specs on the pump.

I wonder why cannot use a standard sand water filter system that we use for the house. It seems that 15,000 baht for a small filter rated for 15,000 gallons is quite expensive. I could get one built for about 5,000 baht. Are the ones designed for pools really that different?

I actually haven't drawn up the design yet. Still in the preliminary stage of figuring exactly what I want. I have a few books and resources that I have found that show the ins and outs of pool design. I have found a few web pages that have free designs. Though I won't use them, they do indicated all of the different drainage specs needed. I will probably hire someone to do the electrical work for the underwater lights and get someone in to help design the plumbing system. I don't want to screw that up. I would probably have the intake attached to the wrong side pipe and have back fill coming in. Most of the construction phases, I think that I can handle; however, I will at least contact one of the pool companies like <edit dozer 7/30/09> to come out and inspect a few times to ensure that things are going smooth. I figure the extra cost for a few inspections might be worth it. I read their web page and they seem to be quite good and very helpful.

The only thing that I cannot find is a source for grout. Do you know a brand name that you recommend? I have laid a lot of bathroom tile but nothing like this. I will try and get at least 2 guys to help in this stage.

I will build the BBQ pit and grill myself. Not that complicated.

Thanks again for the advice. Like I said I won't be building for one year, so I will certainly make sure that I have everything in the design by the time that I actually break ground. I never put the cart before the horse. I am probably too cautious and meticulous, but it is better than regretting after the fact.
newbie001

Postby jazzman » Mon May 25, 2009 9:13 pm

Keep your maindrain as close to the deep end back wall as possible (max 1 m). Fitting the skimmer unit correctly before puring the concrete can be tricky. if you have a flat bottom pool, one cross beam in the middle will be enough. if you have a 3-section sloping floor, (shallow end, steep section, deep end) it's advisable to have cross beams where the angles will be with a footing at the end of each one where it joins the ring beam. The 2 hun braces should be spaced at 20 cm. You can buy them, or bend them on site (cheaper). If your substrate is very firm (clay) and the bottom of the pit not below the water table, you should not need to drive piles. Just put 1 x 1 m footing pads at about 50 - 80 cm below each corner and where the cross beams meet the ring beam. You must use purpose-made swimming pool pumps and filters. A pump and a filter together for your pool size will cost 15,000 - 30,000 Baht depending on the brand. ALL swimming pool equipment is vastly overpriced - pools are rich kids' toys and as such they carry a luxury price tag; this is further exacerbated by the fact that Thai importers slap another 100% on the prices with impunity. No workarounds I'm afraid, unless you have a pool company of your own. Some consultancies have accounts with wholesalers and may pass on some of their trade discount to their clients. For example, I would pay 38,000 - 42,000 for a chlorinator for your pool size, but I know the same model retails in Phuket for aropund 76,000. Beware of pool supply shops who will recommend pumps and filters totally oversized for your requirement. Use only special filter sand, or preferably if you are installing a saltwater chlorinator, invest the extra in Zelbrite® ot DimondKleen®. DiamondKleen will last practically forever.

Be sure to use special tile adhesive for swimming pools (very expensive). Special Weber® grout is also frighfully expensive, but there are other solutions.
jazzman

Postby adamskisamui » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi all im a new poster

Looking to do a DIY build for a 11 X 4 M rectangular infinity edge pool on Koh Samui. Have been quoted some crazy prices by local contactors 1 M plus.

Contacted <edit Dozer 7/30/09> on this forum for there DIY kit but they dont supply for Koh Samui will also not provide there basic kit drawings also there turnkey option is very expensive 900,000.

My question is does anyone know where i can get engineering/design plans for the pool i need piping plans, main drain and bull eye positions. Also electrical diagrams.

Also does anyone have a contact for a consultant in Koh Samui

Thanks
adamskisamui

Postby jazzman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 am

adamskisamui wrote:... very expensive 900,000.

ALL construction on Koh Samui is slightly more expensive than on the mainland due the cost of shipping materials to the island. 900,000 baht is certainly much less than the other quotations your have received. You will probably find that they compare very favouraby with the prices of other constructors for Samui. You may need to readjust your budget if you want a pool.
Please post details of the other quotations you have received so that we can share your information.

I have sent you a PM with the details of a consultancy with a permanent office on Samui.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:43 am

hello all just a question of interest in europe France in particular you can buy a preformed pool/fiberglass is there an equivelent in thailand has anybody ever installed one
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby jazzman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:43 am

There are several firms offering fibreglass pools in Thailand. Probably the most common is the French DesJoyeau franchise. There is no price advantage over other construction methods. For lager concepts, transport and access can sometimes be a problem. Fibreglass will last practically forever. May occasionally need repainting/resurfacing.
jazzman

Postby daisy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:13 am

I am looking to put a pool in the back of the new house I am building now. We live in Kansas, and I noticed you were mentioning the importance of the type of ground the pool will be built in. We are in a fairly dry climate, but not desert or sandy at all. Will I need extra support for the foundation considering type of ground?
daisy

Postby CarlyJo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 pm

I have been considering getting a swimming pool for quite a while. Lately, I have been trying to decide on what style swimming pool I would like to have. I can't decide if I want a in ground or above ground swimming pool. Can anyone recommend some stores that sell nashville area? I will appreciate any referrals.
CarlyJo

Postby dozer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:27 pm

Can anyone recommend some stores that sell nashville area?
Very unlikely (unless there is a Nashville Thailand) as this site is only about building in Thailand.
dozer
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool