glue for piping Help

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

glue for piping Help

Postby Breizh29 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Is this glue OK for 13.5 pipes?

I have a doubt :roll:

Breizh29

Re: glue for piping Help

Postby Andyfteeze » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Do you mean the quantity or quality?
There is nothing else on the market here that i can see. I australia its a two part process, first a cleaning solvent-usually pink and then the glue is applied-blue.
Here its just clear glue. I would use far more than necessary to ensure good adhesion. Just clean off the excess.
Andyfteeze

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:30 pm

The main concern using Thai-Pipe solvent for uPVC is to use a fresh can, If the container has been opened and stored for some time the solvents will be affected by air introduced to the can causing it to go off enough to stop proper solvent welding. If it has the consistency of glue it is long passed best by date.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Breizh29 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:Do you mean the quantity or quality?
There is nothing else on the market here that i can see. I australia its a two part process, first a cleaning solvent-usually pink and then the glue is applied-blue.
Here its just clear glue. I would use far more than necessary to ensure good adhesion. Just clean off the excess.

Hi Andyfteeze.

I was talking about quality and for the pipes used for the pool discharge nozzles.
Breizh29

Postby Breizh29 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 pm

BKKBILL wrote:The main concern using Thai-Pipe solvent for uPVC is to use a fresh can, If the container has been opened and stored for some time the solvents will be affected by air introduced to the can causing it to go off enough to stop proper solvent welding. If it has the consistency of glue it is long passed best by date.

Thanks BKKBILL,
Do you think it's OK for swimming pool if a fresh can is used?
Breizh29

Postby Klondyke » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:25 am

I do not think there is any problem. Important is to have the glued parts well clean, the best roughing up with a fine sand paper. And the glue well aplied on both parts.
Klondyke

Postby Breizh29 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:05 am

Klondyke wrote:I do not think there is any problem. Important is to have the glued parts well clean, the best roughing up with a fine sand paper. And the glue well aplied on both parts.

Thanks Klondyke.
Then I think I don't need to worry any more :wink:
Breizh29

Postby Rdteth » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Sorry I saw this thread a little late.
I use this.
20170122_191301.jpg
pvc glue
In my humble opionion this is the best glue I ever used. Bought it at hardwarehouse at the phenomonal amount of 850 baht per can .Used 2 already and need 1 more.
The color is gray so you can see always where you glued. Also has a very rigid sponge that can be used all along.
Rdteth

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:28 am

For swimming pools, never use the thin, PVC solvent cement sold in all hardware stores. It is only for 8.5 grade pipes and is not designed for use in the 13.5 grade high pressure PVC pipes used in the swimming pool industry. It does come unstuck and the worst thing you want is when it happens under your pool floor or under your patio with its expensive tiles or sandwash.

There is generally only one brand available in Thailand but it is certainly not stocked everywhere and never in general hardware stores. It's a SCG brand (Chang) product and it should be in stock therefore in any main HomeMart store or if not, they will order it for you. It's also available online from some pool stores. Look for Chang solvent cement.
Attachments
Chang glue for 13.5 pipes.jpg
Chang glue for 13.5 grade pipes
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Shastadad » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:41 pm

SCG brand (Chang) product and it should be in stock therefore in any main HomeMart store

It is also the only cement that will allow you to mix normal "blue" PVC pipe with this ABS type of pipe, especially good for connections that are under pressure

Back pipe.png
Shastadad

Postby Klondyke » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:01 pm

I am using the simple solving cement in the green box (as shown on the first picture above), available in different sizes in every hardware shop. And in more than 10 years I have not experienced any failure.
Klondyke

Postby Breizh29 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:08 am

Klondyke wrote:I am using the simple solving cement in the green box (as shown on the first picture above), available in different sizes in every hardware shop. And in more than 10 years I have not experienced any failure.
I asked my pool builder to use this glue and he does. But I'm sure this is not the one he usually uses on all other pools. He uses the glue of the first photo and he made swimming pools for twenty years! :roll:
Breizh29

Postby jazzman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 am

I'll repeat:
For swimming pools, never use the thin, PVC solvent cement sold in all hardware stores. It is only for 8.5 grade pipes and is not designed for use in the 13.5 grade high pressure PVC pipes used in the swimming pool industry. It does come unstuck and the worst thing you want is when it happens under your pool floor or under your patio with its expensive tiles or sandwash.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Klondyke » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:49 am

jazzman wrote:I'll repeat:

I cannot agree. As I mentioned, with me it has been working OK for many years. And in my 25 years here I have never come across of other PVC glue in the general hardware stores. Admitted, I have never asked for such.

BTW, as far as I know, there is no water pressure in usual water pool equipment. The water driven by the pump thru the filter goes freely out from the numerous outlets, inside and/or outside the water level. Never against a close valve. Unlike as at house water system where the automatic pressure pump pushes against closed faucets. A certain differential pressure occurs after the pump outlet before the sand filter, however, this is very low.

The pipes under the pool bottom are quite sufficiently protected when embedded in the concrete. The water will surely go out rather by the free outlets 2" than by a leakage in the fittings.

The only concern at the PVC pipes are where they are exposed to sunshine (I have some, still working after 11 years). However, rather cracking than leaking in the fitting connections.
Klondyke

Postby Rdteth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:07 am

In this one I'm totally 100% on Jazzmans side. The cheap all available green glue will NOT stick for a long time. I have experienced several pipes going lose, in the water supply of my house.
It is crap. Use chang!!! Also available at hardware house and I even could buy small handy tubes at the local mom&pop construction shop.
What else to say to people who know everything better just because they haven't seen the problems they might have.

btw back in town and nowhere to go anymore. Finally retired.
Rdteth

Next

Return to swimming pool