My infinity pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: My infinity pool

Postby Klondyke » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Breizh29 wrote:Thanks Klondyke.
I know some people have a small tank and that is usually enough. But the rule seems to be 10% of the pool water volume so I do so!
For water outlet from the tank I will of course ensure that they don't forget it!
Please what kind of catching of the leaves at the inlet into the thank have you installed?

Actually, the tank volume is not depending on the pool volume but the surface. Anyway, for a private operation (1 - 4 people) you will find the same as I described (once you can see easily in the tank during your swimming).

Catching the leaves by aquarium fish net - see red arrow at the top left - before the water drops from the OF channel into the OF tank. The larger part of the tank is under the stairs on the left.

The arrow at top right shows a valve (closed) for inlet of the hose for pool bottom sucking. The hose is normally stashed laid in the OF channel. So it is immediately operable once that valve is opened (and other inlet from the pool closed). By other procedures - when the hose is neatly stashed away somewhere in the house - you will get always crazy to get the air out of the hose. That's why many rather give up a frequent bottom cleaning.

The red level switch on the left supervises the min. level in the OF tank, interrupting the sucking pump.

The picture shows the entire machine equipment, incl. "Hi-Tech" automatic in the plastic box :D . The pit covered by acrylic plates. All is easily overseen and accessible.

One important thing: easy disposal (outlet) of the water around the pump. After each backwashing the pump filter bucket should be cleaned. And under the bucket a fine sand will be found. That can be disposed of by the emptying bolt at the bottom of the pump body. With this handling quite a lot of water will flow around. Once the pump is in a neat room (with a carpet), without a natural outlet, the dirty water will not make good. :roll:
Attachments
14081518b.jpg
Klondyke

Postby Breizh29 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:59 am

Klondyke wrote:One important thing: easy disposal (outlet) of the water around the pump. After each backwashing the pump filter bucket should be cleaned. And under the bucket a fine sand will be found. That can be disposed of by the emptying bolt at the bottom of the pump body. With this handling quite a lot of water will flow around. Once the pump is in a neat room (with a carpet), without a natural outlet, the dirty water will not make good. :roll:

For this I didn't know. An outlet seems therefore neccessary! :wink:
Breizh29

Postby Klondyke » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Breizh29 wrote:
Klondyke wrote:One important thing: easy disposal (outlet) of the water around the pump. After each backwashing the pump filter bucket should be cleaned. And under the bucket a fine sand will be found. That can be disposed of by the emptying bolt at the bottom of the pump body. With this handling quite a lot of water will flow around. Once the pump is in a neat room (with a carpet), without a natural outlet, the dirty water will not make good. :roll:

For this I didn't know. An outlet seems therefore neccessary! :wink:

At any opening of the pump pre-filter cover the water will spill out, even if you close the relevant valves (at filter, the inlet to the pump). And then, removal of the fine sand under the basket - together with the wayter remaining in the pump body. The sand does not make any good to the pump bearings. The emptying screw at the pump body bottom, in fact it is a screw plug, is mostly as a plastic butterfly (winged) bolt (in Thai Screw Katai), for easy handling.

In case a drain is quite difficult to manage in the machine room, it is enough to make an appropriate floor slopping and get there a small submersible pump (in Thai Daewoh) that you will need anyway for the OF tank cleaning.
Klondyke

Postby Breizh29 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:20 pm

thank you Klondyke for your advice. :wink:
Breizh29

Postby Rdteth » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:30 am

suddenly very quiet?
Rdteth

Postby Breizh29 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:12 am

Rdteth wrote:suddenly very quiet?

Hello,
Yes very quiet, too quiet :mrgreen: . The workers left on February 8, for 5 days. They still have not come back. I sauspect them to go and open a new construction site. They must become today ... or tomorrow ... or monday. :?: :cry: :evil: :twisted:

Finally the tiles was ordered 3 days ago, Today we must receive material but I don't know what. Finally we will see the contractor must come today, Happy Thailand!
Breizh29

Postby Breizh29 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:26 am

Hello,
And still no workers. :evil: I am going to have a stormy encounter with the builder today. :mrgreen:

Klondyke wrote: ..... And that perhaps presents the biggest portion of the total building costs. ......
I saw yesterday the invoice corresponding to the purchase of the tiles and this is probably the most expensive item. :shock:
Breizh29

Postby Klondyke » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Breizh29 wrote:
Klondyke wrote: ..... And that perhaps presents the biggest portion of the total building costs. ......
I saw yesterday the invoice corresponding to the purchase of the tiles and this is probably the most expensive item. :shock:

Surprised: I have refered to the structural steelwork. Are you saying the ceramic tiles cost you more?

Either you are purchasing very special tiles or somewhere is a mistake in calculation? And/or both?

The tiles I bought for 120 B/m2 (still can be found today for this price - more or less), the tiled area is some 100 m2. And the tile laying had not cost much more.

Or if you paid less for all the steelwork than for the tiles, that's why the workers have not shown up again? :D
Klondyke

Postby Rdteth » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:23 pm

I know you can buy cheap tiles. Probably not even bad quality. But not 10x10cm' s. If you know a place that have these, let me know, I need 160m2. Color light blue and some darkblue(5%). Thanks in advance.
Anyway I have to agree that structural steel costs more than tiles, in my case if I keep the tileprice below B400 sqm2. And I don' t tile the OF tank. ( saves 25m2).
Concrete is my biggest spending, but than I use a lot and a lot more.
Rdteth

Postby Klondyke » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm

There is surely a good choice of any possible tiles in Thailand. My previous pool I did by 20x25cm, the present one is by 40x40cm. Should I ever make another pool I would try to do it by even larger size. And if possible, then without any gap among them (something like the large granite-like tiles with exact edging I see at GH), to minimize the excessive grouting.

Why? Besides the grouting work, imagine the difference in meters of the gaps at 10x10 and at 50x50cm to be grouted. Then imagine the increase of the possible penetrating that cannot be 100% avoided. Especially, when with the years of keeping the water pH correctly down to 7.2 -7.4 - as all the pool shops friendly recommend (it needs a lot of pH Minus that they like to sell) - the lower (acidic) pH eats the grouting material - it is slowly diminishing, is to be renewed, the water penetrating is slowly increasing.

Then, when the algaes are not so very well kept away (especially if you listen to pool shops discouraging usage of efficient algycids - since they are quite cheap - instead they like to advise for more chlorine that is not so cheap and not so efficient - and not so healthy) they (the algaes) always like to settle on the grouting along the gaps.

And I have seen a number of pools with the small beautiful turquois blue tiles having to be re-tiled after not so many years.
Klondyke

Postby Breizh29 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Hello,

Rebar DB12 3000 meters (for the pool only, neither the buffer tank nor the holding tank) : 49200 baht (164 X 300) :wink:

Tiles : I have to review the invoice with the builder. There are incoherences! :mrgreen: I'll let you know later.
Breizh29

Postby Klondyke » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Breizh29 wrote:Hello,
Rebar DB12 3000 meters (for the pool only, neither the buffer tank nor the holding tank) : 49200 baht (164 X 300) :wink:

In fact, under the steelwork I was thinking not only the rebars but the total cost incl. the formwork, concrete, the material and labor.
Klondyke

Postby Breizh29 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I received a delivery concerning the products for tiling:
Unfortunately the 2 products Weber.tai vis (laying) and Weber.color classic (grouting) are not suitable for swimming pool. :roll:
This morning I met the builder and he agrees there was a mistake.
Exchange to do, good products to come are: Weber.color HR (laying) and Weber.tai gres (grouting).

So here everyone knows already: verify, verify, verify! :mrgreen:

PS: I I don't have stocks at St Gobain! :lol:
Breizh29

Postby Breizh29 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Klondyke wrote:
Breizh29 wrote:Hello,

In fact, under the steelwork I was thinking not only the rebars but the total cost incl. the formwork, concrete, the material and labor.

In this case I totally agree, this is the most expensive item.

Concerning the tiles: 750 bahts per 100 packages = 75000, transport = 6000, total price = 81000 bahts.
Breizh29

Postby Rdteth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:19 pm

weber.thai.gres is the tile glue and
weber.color.hr is the grout.
I will be using them both too, however I will apply
weber.dry.tex on the render first. Inside the OF tank I will only use dry.tex and see no reason for tiling that area.
Before applying either thai.gres or dry.tex you have to wait about 1 week in case of a swimmingpool.
Well Breizh29, I guess you comply to that.
Ps my wall-pouring will be tomorrow and not today as planned. Due to obvious reasons. So if you live near Rayong and have nothing to do, come and have a look.
Rdteth

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool