New pool DIM

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

New pool DIM

Postby Rdteth » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:56 pm

If building the pool takes as long as figuring it out, then there is no need for buy new swimming trunks in the near future.
But only thinking about it will never give you a pool.
So january 3 I had a makro over to dig a hole. No need for piles here.
Now that the hole is there I have to "sit " in there and do something, or at least pretend that.

The design: 11 x 5.5 m. 120 to 160 cm deep. Rounded area for sit. Build in stairs. Night lighting. Overflow (tank 10sqm) . Must have 3 (powerfull) jets.
Read the steve&mem pool topic, they were of great inspiration to me. -as were some others-.

Construction:
Beams 30cm wide x 40cm high, dug out, interconnected with floor. Floor 20 cm thick concrete. Beams and floor to be poured in the same concrete pourring.
Only 12mm rebar RB30 will be used, except for the stirrups ofcourse .
Have 1 maindrain square 9" × 9" . 3 flat mounted led lights.

I don't have a pack of papers here instructing me what to do and how. No Sir, I got a little notebook only.
So I adjust and modify on the go. I do have probably the best advisors one can have. Civil engineers (UK trained) with over 40 yrs experience in all kind of construction in Thailand. Mainly things like jetty's, harbors, marine constructions. There approach kind of differs from what i've read on CTH.
Undoubtedly I have confidence in their advice. But since I do most of the work (Do It Myself) I do tend to change items to be (better or) easier workable. I don't have hunderds and hundreds people doing the nasty jobs. I have to do it myself. And I work slow, as if there is no need to ever finish.
So nowadays I dig. A few meter every day - when there is no rain and the soil has dried out enough. This year is terrible for that. Besides, everywhere I find that really hard rock and iron stuff. Need to rent a jackhammer to get it out. Does probably carry the whole pool.

If anybody has comments or advice, or wants to help me dig, feel free.......
I will add pictures during the whole build, but..........As mentioned before.....I work slowwwwwwwwwly.

Regards for now
Rene
Attachments
20160124_081718.jpg
When there is water, there is no digging. See the shadowcloth all over to poolpit.
Rdteth

Re: New pool DIM

Postby olavhome » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:54 pm

Good luck with the digging.
Later the memory will give you (hopefully) pleasure and surely will impress visitors :D
Have done a lot myself lately:
French drain for garden, pipes for taking care of roof water and greywater from house to use in the garden.
Also make place a d planting in garden.
Sometimes better do it yourself, then you get it as you like and need no explaination in the heat to local workers.
However, have lost 10 kilo during last 90 days, so at the moment makes no shadow in sunshine :lol:
olavhome

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:28 pm

olavhome wrote:Good luck with the digging.

However, have lost 10 kilo during last 90 days, so at the moment makes no shadow in sunshine :lol:

You know you can get those fat-binding diet pills the celebrities take. :wink:

Far easier than all that hard work. :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby olavhome » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Inactivity easy creates evil thoughts :twisted:
And really, I enjoy it.
After been working with computer and calculator it is really relaxing digging and just occantionally bothering the brain
(or whatever its is between my 2 large ears :roll: )
olavhome

Postby Rdteth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:16 pm

Weekly update.

Still digging. Removed 5 m of really hard rock with a 15kg demolition hammer.
And then.....see the picture. Little vacation now.

Rene
Attachments
20160131_084343.jpg
And it never rains in january and february.
Rdteth

Update 14 feb 16

Postby Rdteth » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:55 am

Still busy.
After the rain it took ages to dry out a little. I had to remove the shading. Changed it to a 4m wide triple thick, movable shading.
Completed digging the lowdeep end. Made blinding for the beamsfloor with just sand and cement. Strong enough but not too level.
Now putting up the sides for the beams. On the outside i use 14 cm blocks, 7 on the inside. The outside ones will be used for the outer concrete forming wall as well.

Work about 5 hrs per day, early morning and before dark.

Next i will reinforce the inner beamwalls with some anchors and some steal, then put up the second layer of blocks, after filling them -that is why they are put upside-down . I fill them with plain mortar. Sand is cheap and easy (ier) to handle than rocks. I make the mortar in the mixer and wheelbarrow it down in the pit.
Next put up a second layer of outside blocks. Then fill the rectangles formed by the beams with ground, followed by a blinding.

Making a new kitchen as well, so time is limited,

Rene
Attachments
2016-02-14 10.54.03.jpg
As per today.
Rdteth

Update 1 mar 16

Postby Rdteth » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Still busy.

The kitchen is now as good as done for me. Turned out nice for this low budget thing. Wifey is happy again, and that's why we all do it, right?

I said I would fill the blocks with mortar. In the end I didn't. After placing a round of 6mm steal on the blocks, the mortar didn't fall through anymore, so no need to fill up the blocks. Next rectangles I will put the blocks up the "intended" way, open side under.
Started digging the deeper end. How much deeper depends on the amount of ground needed for filling the rectangles and the outside. I guess it will end up to original plan, 40 cm deeper. We'll see.
Could use some -or a lot - rain now.

Regards.
Attachments
2016-03-01 pool.jpg
As per 01032016
20160301_154256.jpg
The new kitchen @B60K all in
Rdteth

Postby jazzman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:57 pm

There is at least one pool company here in Thailand with a proper online store that will provide you with free instructions (in English of course) for building your pool your self along with specifications for the materials and recommendations for the technical equipment if you buy all the technical equiopment from them. That would save you sitting in the middle of your excavated hole, scratching your head thinkof what to do next.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Update 16 mar 16

Postby Rdteth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:07 am

For those of you that think I would have given up by now,

A picture says more than a 1000 words, - so they say,

Off on a littke vacation now, be back!!!
Attachments
20160316_162525.jpg
The done-part now bigger than the to be done-part
Rdteth

Postby Breizh29 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:40 pm

jazzman wrote:There is at least one pool company here in Thailand with a proper online store that will provide you with free instructions (in English of course) for building your pool your self along with specifications for the materials and recommendations for the technical equipment if you buy all the technical equiopment from them. That would save you sitting in the middle of your excavated hole, scratching your head thinkof what to do next.
Hello Jazzman. Can we tell us the name of this company, please?
Breizh29

Postby jazzman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:25 pm

If you use Google I'm sure you'll find it. Remember where we are and remember to use Thailand in your search string.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:05 pm

jazzman wrote:There is at least one pool company here in Thailand with a proper online store that will provide you with free instructions (in English of course) for building your pool your self along with specifications for the materials and recommendations for the technical equipment if you buy all the technical equiopment from them. That would save you sitting in the middle of your excavated hole, scratching your head thinkof what to do next.

Would that pool company be planning to open a Showroom & demo pool within about 60km of Udon Thani?
I ask as an English builder friend has just arrived, he has a hole with concrete and block work but no idea about the equipment he should get. He is correctly sceptical about pool advisers and if that could be the company you refere to I will pass on the information and let him take it further.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby jazzman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:23 pm

I don't think there are many pool firms that fit that description. Do you mean the one that also has shops in Chiang Mai and Krabi?
jazzman

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:56 am

jazzman wrote:I don't think there are many pool firms that fit that description. Do you mean the one that also has shops in Chiang Mai and Krabi?

That is the one I found, so if it's the one you talked about I'll pass it on.

It not then I've got to go back to google.
Thanks for your time.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Rdteth » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:59 am

In all of jazzman's posts he never mentioned the name. I don't expect it now.
Though I'm 99.99% sure it is swimmingpoolsthailand.com, but that is my personal opinion only.

My experience with that company, I contacted them twice by responsemail on their website and have 1 order processed.
They are very professional with their shop. Order handling, payment, shipping and tracking as you would expect in europe.
Incredible fast responses on email question., even on saturday within hours.

I'm in the process of making a complete list of all things I will need. I'm only using good quality brands which are available (or at least should be) at any decent shop. Then send that list to several suppliers.for a quotation. I want to avoid buying things all around town and country. One supplier, one relation - ok, and some sort of local backup.

Now this week I spoke with the owner of a quite large and very reputable poolfirm in HuaHin. I don't mention the 3 letter name ofcourse. At a certain moment I asked what he used for waterproofing layer after setting up the walls. He answered that in the thousand pools he has made he never ever used anything like that. Just use the right concrete in the pour and that will do. So now I'm confused. My plan is using weber-dry-tex for waterproofing, what costs about 100B per square meter.
What to do. Save 24000B on material only or not. Anybody here have a pool without waterproofing render?

Cheers
Rdteth

Next

Return to swimming pool