Affordable swimming pool in Thailand - how easy

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Affordable swimming pool in Thailand - how easy

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Sometime I am reading about concerns how to choose a special builder and what are the cost when deciding to build a swimming pool. That is really not necessary, it can be built by anybody with a help of local village masons - chaang pun. And for not so big money.

9 years ago when I had discovered that behind the ruined house (10 years abandoned) - we were lucky to find and acquired from a bank – there is a space allowing quite a long pool, the realization had not been postponed for a long. To neatly excavate 12x3m, some 1.5m deep had not taken more than half a day by a skilled backhoe man.

Klondyke

Re: Affordable swimming pool in Thailand - how easy

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Next day a rebar mesh 1 hun (3mm) 20x20cm had been laid at the bottom of the trench, the sides ca. 0.5m left free and risen for future connection to the walls. A smaller CPAC truck was invited with a foundation cement mixture (the lowest quality ca. 1,400 B/m3) and some 10cm layer had been poured on the bottom.

Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:01 pm

The extension where the backhoe had to climb out from the trench had been made use of for comfortable stairs. And the space under the stairs for an overflow tank.

The village bricklayers - chang pun - had been contracted for making the walls by cement blocks, not much different from what they usually do as a fence around a house. Just the blocks to be laid as a double wall with 3 cm in-between. And to horizontally insert rebars 1 hun (dia. 3mm) under the block as a ring along the walls. The blocks as a double did not go up to the highest layers.

A normal cheap cement had been used with addition of nam yaa – a liquid glass – to become more water proof.

Normal tiles (a sale) have been used for walls and bottom, attached with the same cement mortar plus nam yaa.

Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:37 pm

One side was made with an overflow edge (a tile with slight slope outwards). It dampens the waves, so the swimming people are not bothered with a water into nose. A really different swimming feeling against the pools with risen walls using skimmer(s) for water outlet.

The overflown water is collected by an open channel 15cm wide with a slope bringing the water into the OF tank.

Before letting the water in the OF tank I created a chamber for sand as filter. This has not been found as a good solution, the sand will be plugged very soon by algaes and other residue (in my case very strong ironized water), the pool water does not go through, it is not easy to backwash. Later I had replaced it by an usual pressure vessel with sand, the water is forced by pump through the filter back to the pool.

Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:59 pm

Another my mistake was to listen to local water experts, how to manage with the ironized bore water taken from my drilled well. This problem I am describing in a separate thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4611
Now, it is solved, after I leave the fresh water to be setlled in a separate sediment tank, I no longer suffer under the residue of iron and other heavy metals (manganines).

However, my first long-yearned-for water after a bit of chlorine addition - has resulted in an undesirable slop:

Luckily, I was advised by other local water experts to help myself with the alum (SaanSom), a miraculous material, in Thailand easily to get for small money either in a form of crystal stones or crushed. It works as a flockulator, bringing the iron residue to the floor. Within 6 days it has resulted in a clear water, the slop at the bottom awaiting to be sucked off.

Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:14 pm

After getting rid off the iron residues and managing a proper filtering of the pool water:

Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 pm

As a matter of fact, during the construction, we could have filled the pool with the water coming from the flooded river nearby, that was during these days in 2005 - flood in the North. The water coming very close to the house, we can make fishing direct out of our bed room.

Whilst in the normal dry season the river is like this:
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Thinking of a case that the water could once come even higher, the perimeter fence has been erected in a way to be able to fix protective plates in the sections, thus getting another one meter higher barrier. As it is always the case, as of now, the plates had not been prepared.

And some day a ghost from the old house, disturbed by the construction activity, was spotted in the newly furnished kitchen:

Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:13 am

Some more my knowledge/finding after few years living with swimming pool:

Although the very simple pool construction has not shown any cracks due to the water pressure, we found few cracks at the top - where the pressure is almost zero. This was caused by not very hard compacting at the top behind the wall. And on this soft foundation a pavement around the pool had been laid. And as this pavement has been connected with the top of the wall, it had bent out some upper tiles. This was quite apparent at the Over Flow channel where it resulted in a leackage.

Therefore, after 5 years I had decided to make a new clading. With this action also the bottom outlets will be added - I did not think before that they could be of use. A new layer with cement blocks 40x20x7 cm vertically laid to the existing wall tiles with some 3 cm usual cement mortar in-between. And at the bottom 2 outlets were added with separate pipes 1.5" to the pump station, later fully covered by new concrete layer. And in order not to reduce the total depth of the pool the walls have been added by 20 cm - one block more.

Finally, the walls and bottom had been claded by new ceramic tiles - 40x40cm, all by a normal cheap cement mortar added a bit of "nam yaa - water glass" - water proof addition. And the pavement around made much more stronger with added rebars, securing also the OF channel.

Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:53 am

View on the pumping station under detachable green acrylic cover.

The black wall (metal sheets) on right is an ingenious water heater for winter months (during warm months April, May, cooling the water at nights).

Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:10 am

And here the view in the Hi-Tech Pumping Station.

On top waterfall from overflow channel - collected in the OF tank under the kids pool and stairs, sucked out by the pump and led through the filter back into the pool (2 inlets in the wall under the OF channel).

When not enough water in the OF tank (supervized by the level switch), this sucking will be shut off (manually), the pump sucks only from the 2 pool bottom outlets. Then, however, no overflow.

(The outlet from the kids pool is only for a cleaning/emptying.)
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:18 am

The filter with the 6-way valve can be bought at GH for 7,500 Baht (empty - a washed river sand ca. 150 kg, dia. ca. 0.8 - 1 mm, bought at village sand shops), the pump 1.1 kW at a water shop in Ch.M. (also 7,500 B). All the piping, valves from a hardware shop, installed with help of a chaang papaa.
Klondyke

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:42 pm

The end result is the main thing if it all works, but I myself couldn't live with that base that looks so flimsy and I would be very surprised if the tiles are holding the water in with no leakage, something that once it starts will only get worse. :cry: :cry:
Mike Judd

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Mike Judd wrote:The end result is the main thing if it all works, but I myself couldn't live with that base that looks so flimsy and I would be very surprised if the tiles are holding the water in with no leakage, something that once it starts will only get worse. :cry: :cry:

Few months ago was a hefty earthquake in the North. By chance we came home around 6 pm, wife and myself, suddenly seeing shaking the lamps, TV rocking on the middle stand. Running out of the house, seeing a huge wave over the edge of pool.

No visible cracks were found, nor a leakage of the water observed since. Same with my water storage tank 6 x 1.5 x H1m (above ground), and settlement tank 3 x 1.5 x H0.8m on the roof, fish tank 6 x 2 x H0.8 m (above ground), all built in the same manner of a single cement block reinforced by a 3 m bar under the vertically laid blocks. And they were some problems with houses in town due to this shaking.

Even if a tile would start with a leakage, why should it only get worse :cry: :cry: ? Underneath each tile is a rendered block, another 3cm plaster, then another tile and another rendered block, and ...
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Few remarks to Over Flow pools

The very first difference to the skimmer pools (skimmer is an opening, sometimes two of them, by them the pump sucks the water - and the dirt laying on the surface as well, all walls of the pool are 20 - 30 cm higher than the water level):

At an OF pool the water surface is practically without any sharp waves disturbing a quiet swimming of older people - no water in your nose :D . Even with only one side overflowing:

When it happens that the water level drops 2 -3 cm under the OF edge, it is immediately felt at the swimming. Also when step out from the pool, the water will wave another 10 min.:

Comparison with OF, the water is smooth within a minute:
Klondyke

Next

Return to swimming pool