Stabilizer (cyanuric acid) - Different type of Chlorine

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Stabilizer (cyanuric acid) - Different type of Chlorine

Postby Bjarneolsen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:13 pm

I have been a happy owner of a swimming pool for about 4 years.
After about 3 years my saltwater-chlorinator broke down. Yea, my pool-shop sold me a saltwater-chlorinator that as to small for my pool and i needed to run it to long time etc..
I desided to just leave it and start using regular chlorine, because it would be cheaper then changing the cell every 3 to 5 years.

So i starting to add some tablets, using Granular, and powder... i think i like the powder better since it easier to add to the pool.

Anyway.. here comes my problem.. as i keep adding this "stabilized" chlorine to my pool my stabilizer level are going waaaayyyyy to high.
So i needed to go and look for chlorine whitout stabilizer and here is the real problem, my supplier of chlorine says that you cant get it in Thailand, so it means i need to change a lot of my water to get the stabilizer level down? and then, how often?????? this cant be right ?

I didnt give up and found some granular Calsium Chlorine in a store in the city.
Its then 65% chlorine, instead of 90% but a lot cheaper.... but.... i vill end up whit a calcium level that is waaaay to high whit all the problems thats comming whit this, so no, not so good idea...

Look like i gonna buy a saltwater chlorinator again soon...

Adding PoolChloor whit Cyanuric Acid only vill raise the level to high in any pool in Thailand, and the pool vill need a lot higher ppm whit Chlorine.

A private pool like mine, i think a saltwater chlorinator is the solution, but for my friend that have a pool whit 450.000Liter of water and 50 swimmer a day it vill be to expensive and hard to maintain.

Do anyone know where i can get liquid Chlorine ??? i found some Sodium Chloride 10% but i seems to be sooo weak...

I raelly looking for tips and ideas here... what do the big pool-company that take care of the hotels do??? they need to get there liquid chlorine somewhere from ??

Any ideas ??? (i posted this in thaivisa forum to, but very litle response)

Bjarne
Bjarneolsen

Re: Stabilizer (cyanuric acid) - Different type of Chlorine

Postby Klondyke » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 pm

Hallo Bjarne,
I can tell you my experience with keeping water clear the whole year long for my daily swimming morning, evening. As I am using very strong ironized water I was not able to make much use of chlorine (chlorine will always discover the iron and makes the water dirty brown). So I was looking for other ways keeping the water clear, finding that for fighting the algies are algicids more effective (that's why they are made for).

You will find many pool forums where they force you into chlorine and tell you that algicids are no good. Yes, that's true for the owners of such forums, they like to sell chlorine much more expensive than a cheap algicid. And if you need to use chlorine you have to maintain the pH, and have Hi-Tech measurements and/or automatic dosage, so again a good job for the sellers. Then, on those pages you can see only these words: green water, help, desperation for many weeks and no swimming.

After many bad experience and many hours spending on Internet I found that all those advices are all rubish. Once in a week or so I have a plastic cooking laddle (ca. 250gr.) of Copper Sulphate (sold in 1 kg plastic sack in chemie shops as "Copper") disolved directly in pool (some 50,000 L). Further adding every 3 - 4 days another laddle of Alum (alluminium ammonium sulphate) - very well known in Thailand as "SaanSom" you can get a 50 kg sack for some 340 Baht everywhere in Thailand, not only chemie shops since people use it for flockulating thier ironized water - a real wonder preparate - this is what is in the whole world used for stopping bleeding after razor shaving), either disolved directly in pool or just adding into the basket at the pump (after backwashing and cleaning that basket).

Then, as I am having a gallon of the chlorine granulate with the cyanuric acid - 95 % - still having that 50 kg galon over 4 years - adding some quarter of laddle every 2 - 3 days into my overflow tank, where from the pump is taking it when slowly disolved. This is very small amount that nearly will not be much discovered by the simple measurement, just being assured that bad bacterias will be terminated on top of that what the SaanSom did not make.

For a correct pH I have ceased to care much when I had found that for a water clarity it does not have any influence. And when I see there is a dirty outline on the walls that cannot be easily brushed off, then I know the pH is nearing to 8 and need to be brought done by a salt acid HCL (you will get a gallon in chemie shop). In that case I prepare a solution of the HCL in a bucket and using a Scotch Brite on a rod, brushing off the dirty line very easily, so will also the total pH in pool lowered. In this rainy season when there is a lot of rain the pH is rather down, therefore I do not want to have it to much under 7 since it is not good for ceramic tiles and the grouting. So I add up some Soda Ash (you will get a 50kg sack in Chemie shop), disolved directly in pool.

And of course, beside the bottom sucking you need to run the pump thru a sand filter some 6 - 8 hours divided in two portions and make a frequent backwashing. Then you add regularly a fresh water, so you are sure that not much cyanurs (from the chlorine granulate) will be kept in pool.

(How to remove the iron from my water supply I described in viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4611 .

For any more details I am ready to help, staying in the North.
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:19 pm

Here my Hi_tech cleaning equipment - 4 Scotch Brites on rod - patent aplication pending.
Attachments
ScotchBrite.jpg
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:25 pm

And when it happens that the water gets green (absent for a week and the pump had stopped working):
Adding some 400 gr. Copper Sulphate, having the pump it mixed for just one hour and leaving it over night still.
In the morning it can be sucked off.
Attachments
12051001.JPG
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:29 pm

If another day still green/brown, adding 1- 2 kg Alum (SaanSom - it is sold either in stone crystals, like an ice cube, or crusched), within half day, the dirt sinks. Then the fine dust can be carefully sucked off.
Klondyke

Postby Bjarneolsen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:39 am

Thank you Klondyke. I read your post many time whit big inntrest. Having one bag whit Saan Som in my garage now, and brought 2 bags to my friend.

She was talking about this before, but i didnt have a klue what it was... thanks to you and google and an hour of reading i feel a litle smarter ;)

Bjarne
Bjarneolsen

Postby Klondyke » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Hallo Bjarne,
good to hear that my piece of advice could help a bit. I really have not stopped wondering that people use so many complicated treatments (on an advice of the Pool Shop owners - as most of the forums are owned by them) and struggle weeks long, losing the very few warm days in Europe instead of enjoying the swimming. And for that they are spending their money. Most of their advices when something goes wrong are to exchange the water completely. Then, again a new chemie is needed.

I hardly lose a day from my 365 days of swimming whilst using a water that they say, any well water is not possible for swimming pools. And my well water here is much worse than any well in my life before.

Just to see, when a fresh well water pumped up into the sedimentation tank on 15th, some chlor and SaanSom added:

And here I took photo yesterday on 18th, the dirt is laying at the bottom, the water can be already taken, running thru my filtering system to the storage tank:

And so it is in the pool every day (under the acrylic cover is my pump room):

My pump room (under the stairs an overflow tank):

And here all my Hi-Tech automatic:
Klondyke

Return to swimming pool