Pump times once or multiple shorter times

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Pump times once or multiple shorter times

Postby smeestu » Thu May 08, 2014 9:44 am

Im a new pool owner and have spent a fair amount of time reading online both here and other sites wondered what other pool owners thoughts are on pool pump running times as in my pump turns the pool over in 5 hours so is it better to run it for a striaght 5-6 hours or maybe 3 times a day for say 2 hours i have a chlorine feeder inline so my thoughts would be it would spread the chlorine more evenly and also the water would not be left still for long periods of time .I guess that many shorter times would use slightly more electricity because of the initial starting of the pump but apart from that .

This is what the Aus energy company thinks
https://energyaustralia.opower.com/ei/a ... p_run-time
smeestu

Re: Pump times once or multiple shorter times

Postby Klondyke » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 pm

I found the recommendations of the total water turnover often quite overexagerated. Even in our Thai conditions. Everybody can test it for himself and see whether a substantial reduction of hours is noticeable on the water clarity.

As of the pump starting consumption, even if the starting current is up 10 times higher than the normal working current, it occurs within a fraction of a second, so in a whole daily consumption it is negligible even if started 2 - 5 times a day.

One problem here is overheating, I am getting my water in the afternoon up to 33 deg. Therefore during day time when sunshine is so strong I better do not run the pump, keeping the water without moving, so the upper water layer keeps warm but the majority of the water volume is not mixed and not heated up. Then, early morning and at night I am running the water through the filter when the ambient temperature comes to ca. 28. In addition, by leading the water stream over a long metal slide originally purposed for heating up in winter month will cool down the water to 30 deg. in the morning.
Klondyke

Postby pattayapope » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:40 am

Our resident pool expert will no doubt chip in at some point but I would say early morning and late afternoon, avoid times when the sun is strongets as this will take the chlorine out of the water quicker. My pump runs 6 am to 9 am and 3 pm to 6 pm, set by the pool builder and water is always clear and no issues in two years ( I have a salt water chlorinator). :D
pattayapope

Postby jazzman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:19 am

Do remember that if your are using a saltwater chlorinator, the chlorine it produces will not include cyanuric acid stabiliser. Avoid needing to add CYA by doing the pumping after nightfall so that the sun's rays won't burn off the chlorine before it has done its work.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool