Position Of Swim Alert Alarm

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Position Of Swim Alert Alarm

Postby Greenside » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 pm

This afternoon the contractor ambushed me with the news that they want to work on the lip of the pool tomorrow. I have a Swim Alert pool alarm and would like to mount it flush with the lip which means adjusting the formwork before they pour the concrete. I have emailed the supplier for advice but the time difference means they may not get back before the work starts and although I can postpone the job, I'd rather avoid it. Has anyone got experience with this alarm and can suggest the most likely place to mount it successfully?

The plan below shows the water inlets in blue and the skimmers in red. Water will also enter from the spa when it's running.
Attachments
Simplified Pool Plan.jpg
Greenside

Re: Position Of Swim Alert Alarm

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:18 am

If this is the one you have it doesn't seem to be attached to the pool.

http://swim-alert.com/us/
Attachments
1.gif
1.gif (6.31 KiB) Viewed 443 times
swimaler.jpg
swimaler.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 445 times
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Greenside » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14 am

That's the one. Actually, it is attached to the pool edge but my aim is to leave a gap in the sandstone lip so that it looks a bit less like an afterthought. It's a bit risky doing it before testing but on the other hand I don't much want to have concrete work going on once the pool has water in it so I am trying to make my guess a bit more educated.
Greenside

Postby Greenside » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36 pm

Just thought I'd update this post to say that I did mount the alarm on the edge as per BKKBill's attachment and although we have luckily never had a genuine emergency it has passed the tests every time and on the odd occasion when I forget to disarm it it goes off very quickly. We've had maybe half a dozen false alarms since 2013 and the batteries that came with it are still good after all that time. With small children around it has given us some extra peace of mind and I'd recommend this make to anyone with a pool. Cheapest route (USD110 in 2013) was buying online from a US supplier and getting a friend to bring it over.
Greenside

Return to swimming pool