Udon Thani Area - Electriction

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: Udon Thani Area - Electriction

Postby kmanonmaui » Tue May 23, 2017 12:11 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:If you get desperate I posted the phone number of my electrician in Nontharburi, he might do the work for you, but he's not cheap.

Thank you, that would be great...but I must be bad at reading as I do not seem to be able to find that posting.

TIA!
-k-
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:The point I was making is that the requirement for Concrete encased electrodes is not new. It has not changed. It is in the current codes. They also add that

Just what country do you quote STWW? That looks like a US Code to me and I thought we were in Thailand.

Thailand, as you might have noticed, has not much in the way of codes. But electricity in Thailand is not different from electricity in other countries (different voltage from the US and not as reliability sure) so fundamentals are the same.

Just another tangent.
I really should stop this.

I agree.

I forgot to mention Subaru and it might interest you to know that your F100 pick-up

I do not have a Subaru F100 pick-up.

And all those trucks you claimed have steel bodies, most don't.

Another tangent. It is your claim about steel bodies I have never talked about bodywork in relation to vehicles electrical systems (though in the past most had steel bodies). It is the chassis that is used as an electrical conductor and as I mentioned the overwhelming majority of all vehicles ever made have steel chassises. Some are now switching to aluminium. FWIW the Mazda skyactive chassis is not one of them.

But at the first poster wanted to stick to house electrical, I'll just post what i did at the start. Copper wires from a Japanese company, the rest from an electrical specialty shop..... and a word of warning, most of those shops deal in cash only and your bill can run out to over 100,000 baht. Good luck with the electrician.
If you get desperate I posted the phone number of my electrician in Nontharburi, he might do the work for you, but he's not cheap.

FWIW Bangkok cable have a good reputation and for fittings Haco has an excellent reputation
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 24, 2017 9:50 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:fundamentals are the same.

They are? Concrete as a lightening rod? Or concrete as a ground earth? I'm totally confused, you quoted the US Codes for factories, not houses.
Sometimewoodworker wrote:I agree.

I don't, you are talking about something you know nothing about. At least I was advised by qualified electricians on this blog and was at the house when it was put in.
Sometimewoodworker wrote:I do not have a Subaru F100 pick-up.

I know you don't, I was just pointing out that Subaru also have a full aluminum car chassis and parts and as it's about to become car of the year, I thought I should educate you a little. And I also thought you should know your asinine statement about no trucks have an aluminum chassis is also bollocks, The F100 (Ford) pick-up now has a complete aluminum chassis. So does Volvo trucks, buses and many other brands that you seem to be the resident expert on, but don't know what you are talking about, so I'm just trying, in my own little way, trying to educate you a little, but that is hard.
A little like my high end car that cost just 700,000 baht, but may be 10 years old but is still 10 years in front of the crap some car makers are turning out today. Steel chassis and frame, as Scrooge would say: Bah, humbug. Stop squirming and trying wriggle out of statements you made.
Sometimewoodworker wrote:FWIW Bangkok cable have a good reputation and for fittings Haco has an excellent reputation

Please tell me how you know Bangkok cable have a "good reputation", two electricians said they were absolutely the pits.
Haco does have a great reputation for fittings, but you only know that from reading my blog. And I'm the only one who used them as far as I know, but others may have read my recommendation after the floods.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 am

kmanonmaui wrote:Thank you, that would be great...but I must be bad at reading as I do not seem to be able to find that posting.

TIA!

I posted the number in my blog, but I will ask my wife for it again.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:24 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:fundamentals are the same.

They are? Concrete as a lightening rod? Or concrete as a ground earth? I'm totally confused, you quoted the US Codes for factories, not houses.

Electricity doesn't care about where it is and neither do the codes, U.K. or U.S.

Roger Ramjet wrote:you are talking about something you know nothing about. At least I was advised by qualified electricians on this blog and was at the house when it was put in.

You do not know the extent of my knowledge, I have been advised by someone who was probably a little more qualified than that.

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:I do not have a Subaru F100 pick-up.

I know you don't,
Then why did you say I do, if you look at your post it's there. :roll:
Roger Ramjet May 22, 2017 7:47 pm wrote: it might interest you to know that your F100 pick-up

Roger Ramjet wrote:. --snip of irrelevant info-- Stop squirming and trying wriggle out of statements you made.

I don't. You are twisting them.

Roger Ramjet wrote:Please tell me how you know Bangkok cable have a "good reputation", two electricians said they were absolutely the pits.

From a consultant employed to oversee the building of part of the new sky train line.

Roger Ramjet wrote:Haco does have a great reputation for fittings, but you only know that from reading my blog. And I'm the only one who used them as far as I know, but others may have read my recommendation after the floods.

No. Your postings were certainly one of the sources, but far from the only one.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:From a consultant employed to oversee the building of part of the new sky train line.

So now we are relying on consultants and not the real thing. And the BMA and the current junta have an appalling reputation for everything they have done so far. Which part by the way? Blue line? Missing link in Purple line? Sky link? New airport link? A line. There are a huge number of companies that have won contracts, and all of them have used sub contractors, which is apparent when you see the collapsed column supports and badly welded joints that Italian-Thai sub contractors used and most of the lines have been been given to "Chinese friends" who employ only Chinese as consultants, which is the new (old) Sky Train Line that links two stations that have nothing standard between the two and are a disgrace with Japanese, Swedish and British designed trains that all run on different gauge tracks. So which one does your consultant work for? And please don't tell me the Japanese because Sumiden International is the electrical sub-contractor for them and my wife is the Chief Financial Officer for them, and they do not use Bangkok cable because, as I said they have no quality control.
AS you can't understand English I'll help you out, the YOUR I was referring to was the Ford 100 truck Ford produce, but you knew that and you just wanted to show how smart you are.
So tell me the other sources of information you have for Haco, as I have stayed in contact with them as I have had a number of switches replaced (all 3 switch boxes have been recalled) because of a defect in their design and I can tell the manager there that their great work after the floods paid off. And as I'm told by their manager their only real problem is their location, lack of parking, and lack of electricians; so I will be able to pass on the good news as soon as I get the newly designed 3 box switch, which means cutting out a bigger slot in tiles and walls. Perhaps if you'd like I could pass on your info to them as you know a lot more than I think you don't. But you'd have to stop going off on tangents.

For the original OP my wife has tried to contact the Electrician, but it appears he's just up and left, or lost his cell phone.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:55 pm

double post removed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:From a consultant employed to oversee the building of part of the new sky train line.

So now we are relying on consultants and not the real thing.

He is sufficiently qualified as an, electrician and electrical installation engineer.

Your posts related to the current, and recent past, structure of various vehicles has never addressed the point that the vast majority of vehicles produced have used a steel chassis and that that chassis of vehicles has been (and is) used as an electrical conductor, the point that some vehicles use aluminium as a chassis and electrical conductor makes no difference. It is certainly possible that a few vehicles may have both live and earth in the wiring harness I don't know of any, and it makes no difference anyway.

When will you admit the point that steel, can be and, is used as an electrical conductor.

And that concrete is also used in earthing systems.
That concrete is not an insulator, it conducts electricity and is also used in earthing systems.

Of course you need a greater cross section of steel than you do of copper to conduct the same amount of electricity, about 8 times. The general requirement for an earth cable is a total of 10 square mm so for steel you will need more than 80 square mm since I have 96 square mm in 1 post and over 3,000 square mm in my foundations my building exceeds the requirement by 40 times. Even grandmums house has 6 times more.

Of course copper is more mailable than steel and where you are running line, neutral, and earth from a distribution board to receptacles you will use copper.

That does not change anything related to earthing

AS you can't understand English I'll help you out, the YOUR I was referring to was the Ford 100 truck Ford

It looks as if you can't be bothered to proof read your posts or that you understanding of English is less good than you think it is.
I can understand English, can you use it correctly?

I forgot to mention Subaru and it might interest you to know that your F100 pick-up has been all aluminum since 2014

Your: adjective. Definition: relating to or belonging to you : made or done by you.

Post quoting, and addressed to me, so correctly answered "I don't have an F100 pickup"

Post corrected to mean what you now say you ment.
I forgot to mention Subaru and it might interest you to know that The F100 pick-up has been all aluminum since 2014

The: definite article. Definition: used as a function word to indicate that a following noun or noun equivalent is definite or has been previously specified by context or by circumstance
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:It looks as if you can't be bothered to proof read your posts or that you understanding of English is less good than you think it is.

You're totally correct for once, I can't be bothered proof reading my posts.
Less good? It appears you can't understand English. I recall good, better, best from my grade school days and good should never be used in the context you used it in. But as I said earlier, if you struggle with English I can live with that. A bit of the pot calling the kettle black there, I think.
Sometimewoodworker wrote:He is sufficiently qualified as an, electrician and electrical installation engineer.

He, might be, but he doesn't work for Sumiden International who have the contract for the supply of electrical cable for the Sky Train Line and Sumiden do not use Bangkok Cable because, as I said, they lack quality control and Nissan and Toyota would never accept wiring harnesses from a non-Japanese company. Toyota have already been bitten doing just that with other non-Japanese sourced equipment.
And even though you may think it unfair for Thais, Japanese companies are a closed shop here in regards to sourced material. They don't buy from Thai companies, they make it all themselves using Thai labour and all their engineers come from Japan. And if they can't make it, they import it from Japan or from their subsidiary companies that they have a controlling interest in, and BOI privileges to go with it. As I said, Japanese companies are all a closed shop here in Thailand and Bangkok cable is not part of that closed shop.
As far as concrete being used as a conductor of electricity I said it is a very poor conductor, so poor in fact, that unless rebar or steel is the core, then it is next to useless. Even Bamboo is a conductor of electricity, as two dead Thais will verify, but it has to be freshly cut and the people have to be standing in water and touch it to 44,000 volts (unstated what the amps were and it is the amps that kill, not only the volts).
Most vehicles use a steel chassis is not true and they are not used to conduct electricity. All vehicles would be a lethal machine if they did and you would be unable to even open a door of a running vehicle without getting a shock. And as the Ford F100 is the highest selling vehicle in the world (refer to old Top Gear) and has an aluminum chassis, along with most other advanced vehicles, steel chassis are not the most used chassis in the world, and haven't been used to conduct electricity for years, (since the alternator was introduced and only as an earth (negative) then), which is why most modern vehicles have an insulated steel post (positive) that runs directly to the battery from somewhere near the motor and the insulated earth (negative) is located next to it, for vehicles that have the battery in the boot or under seats. Purely for convenience mind you, in my high end, 10 year old 700,000 baht car, otherwise the whole car would be alive the moment it was started, as would the other low end cars, which is why wood was used for chassis in days of yore. Which is why cars and other vehicles have wiring harnesses with both positive and negative.
The last time I saw a car use the body and chassis as an earth was in a Datsun SSS a mate bought as an investment and the alternator and other attachments were all bolted to the frame (mudguards) as there was no room to put anything near the motor. And nowadays they do the same thing and utilise doors and mudguards and even roofs to house little things like airbags, electric motors, master controls, computers because the engine bay is just that, for the engine.
Your over 20 years out of date STWW, a little like many cars being produced today.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:56 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:It looks as if you can't be bothered to proof read your posts or that you understanding of English is less good than you think it is.

You're totally correct for once, I can't be bothered proof reading my posts.
Less good? It appears you can't understand English. I recall good, better, best from my grade school days and good should never be used in the context you used it in. But as I said earlier, if you struggle with English I can live with that. A bit of the pot calling the kettle black there, I think.

It's seems that in your grade school days you you were badly taught, were taught simple over broad rules, or your memory of your teaching is faulty. You are demonstrating this by wrongly trying to correct my English.

My grammar usage of the phrase "less good" in the sentence containing "your understanding of English is less good than you think it is" is correct.

English grammar is not easy as there exceptions to most rules, don't feel bad if your knowledge isn't comprehensive.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MGV12 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 am

Moderator Message
Please refrain from personal remarks and post only information specific to the subject and OP's original post.
Failure to do so will result in my having to reluctantly lock this thread
Thanks

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:40 pm

I dont know how car earthing came into the equation. Cars run on DC, 13.8v and return earth. Its all self enclosed all voltage cables return to the battery. 13.8v is not likely to cause any pain or concerns for your safety.
A house on the other hand, is 220vAC. It has an Active, a Neutral and an earth. The earth is there for your safety. 220vAC is generated at the power station and it arrives at your house as Active and Neutral. The Neutral is then tied to the earth at your switchboard and to ground via an Earth stake. As you can appreciate the "neutral" is a long distance from the power station thus it has a finite resistance. Anything that adds to this resistance means your body becomes more attractive to current flow if you should happen to touch the active. The stake in the ground is your insurance policy. Why would you think you know better than 200yrs of electrical know how?
follow the recommended earth strap wiring. Its for your safety, nobody is going to come around after your dead and say, see you were wrong.
Andyfteeze

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Hello Fellow Farangs!
Been busy last few weeks, so just starting to catch up...BTW, anyone have a good recommendation for an Electrocution in Udon Thani or greater N.E. Thailand Area?

TIA,
-k-
kmanonmaui

Postby kmanonmaui » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:07 am

kmanonmaui wrote: ...an Electrocution in Udon Thani

"Electrocution"...Freudian slip :D
kmanonmaui

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 pm