power line from paved road

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

power line from paved road

Postby Cicciosamui » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:08 pm

hello, I'm planning to buy a piece of land in cha am, the power line is about 50m away, someone has any idea how much it costs to bring the line?
thank you
Cicciosamui

Re: power line from paved road

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Cicciosamui wrote:hello, I'm planning to buy a piece of land in cha am, the power line is about 50m away, someone has any idea how much it costs to bring the line?
thank you

The trouble with that question is it is rather the same as "how long is a piece of string"?

You haven't given anywhere near enough detail for any kind of sensible answer.

What meter will you use 5amp, 15amp, 30amp,?
Single phase or 3 phase
Is the 50m over your private land?
If not does it go over a road?
Can you use the PEA pole?
Will you be running the cable overhead or underground
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Cicciosamui » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi, I think 30A is enough
Single phase or 3 phase????
I do not know, in Italy we have 220v or (380v three-phase) so obviously the single phases.

yes the land is far about 50m from the road in any case I do not think 50m or 60m there is an increase of price sensitive

cable overhead, I think so, yes
thanks
A.
Cicciosamui

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:25 pm

Cicciosamui wrote:Hi, I think 30A is enough
Single phase or 3 phase????
I do not know, in Italy we have 220v or (380v three-phase) so obviously the single phases.

yes the land is far about 50m from the road in any case I do not think 50m or 60m there is an increase of price sensitive

cable overhead, I think so, yes
thanks
A.

3 phase or single phase is not obvious. 3 phase gets the equivalent of 3 X 220v supplies

A 30amp meter is the biggest single phase you can get as it is more correctly named 30/100 and it is going to cost about 12,000 for the meter, overhead you have the choice of 2X25mm sq aluminium or 2X16mm sq copper. Copper is much more expensive. You will find the prices online, I don't have current costs of cable.

http://www.doncastercables.com/technical/cable_calculator is a good guide for sizes.

The poles you put up will be your choice as its your land we have used LDPE pipe clipped to a wall
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:39 am

For a 30A MCB, a 15/45 meter is the correct size.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:55 am

canopy wrote:For a 30A MCB, a 15/45 meter is the correct size.

It certainly is not {on the incoming side} you need a 63amp MCB to be at the PEA standard (a 50 amp can be used but it is not the PEA standard), but what is the point you are making?

So far we have been talking about meter and cable sizes.

If the OP wants to use 30amps then a 15/45 meter is the correct size and his cable sizes go down to 10mm copper and 16mm aluminium.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:22 am

I am trying to correct some bad advice. First, a 30/90 meter makes absolutely no sense. Second, you don't seem to understand that 63A MCB is the *maximum* used with a 15/45 meter. It is not the *required* size by the PEA. A smaller MCB is perfectly fine.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:28 am

canopy wrote:I am trying to correct some bad advice. First, a 30/90 meter makes absolutely no sense. Second, you don't seem to understand that 63A MCB is the *maximum* used with a 15/45 meter. It is not the *required* size by the PEA. A smaller MCB is perfectly fine.

Bad advice? Please get your facts straight, There is no such thing as a 30/90 meter. It is, as I said, a 30/100.

image.jpeg

1) you have no idea (neither do I) the power requirements of Cicciosamui, so neither of us knows if it does or doesn't make sense. He is the one who mentioned a 30A meter in his answer.

5(15)A: called a 5A meter; can supply 25~30A all day with no problems to the meter.
15(45)A: called a 15A meter; can supply 60~70A all day with no problems to the meter.
30(100)A: called a 30A meter; can supply 120~140A all day with no problems to the meter.

2) PEA offices can have different answers (though that is less usual than many other organisations) however a 63A MCB is the required size in our area if you want the PEA to connect a new 15/30 supply (they also require earthing {with a correct length earth rod} and a MEN bond)

What you do after the incoming breaker (or after the PEA has connected you) is up to you. If you want to swap in a 30A MCB then borrow a 63A one for the PEA install.

However putting a 30A MCB on a 15A supply, as you say, makes absolutely no sense.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:30 am

I'll be happy to <flame removed - mod>:

as I said, a 30/100.

Your 30/100 meter is completely irrelevant in this discussion. That was the point of my first post so the OP would know he didn't need to pay 12000 baht for this nonsense. Please stop talking about your meter and stay on topic with what the OP actually needs. Please.

you have no idea (neither do I) the power requirements of Cicciosamui,

His response is in post #3 to your question.

63A MCB is the required size in our area if you want the PEA to connect a new 15/30 supply

First, there is no such thing as a 15/30 supply. And please provide proof of the rubbish that your local PEA requires exactly a 63A MCB.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:08 am

canopy wrote:I'll be happy to debunk this rubbish:

insulting language is hardly helpful, don't forget that this is not ThaiVisa ;)

Rubbish also suggest inaccurate information and nothing AFIK has been shown to be inaccurate. If any of it is please don't hesitate to explain.

as I said, a 30/100.

Your 30/100 meter is completely irrelevant in this discussion. That was the point of my first post so the OP would know he didn't need to pay 12000 baht for this nonsense. Please stop talking about your meter and stay on topic with what the OP actually needs. Please.

you have no idea (neither do I) the power requirements of Cicciosamui,

His response is in post #3 to your question.

It would be a good idea to read (and understand) all the thread before venting.

In Post 3 Cicciosamui was answering post 2 where the question was did Tony (Cicciosamui) want a 5A 15A or 30A meter.
"What meter will you use 5amp, 15amp, 30amp,?"
So far he has not given anything but a preference for 30A meter.

As he is Italian I guess that English is not his first language

It is quite possible that his power needs are 30A however he has not yet comeback to this thread to confirm if he needs 30A power or a 30A meter.

If it is a 30A meter it is exactly on topic. To repeat. you have no idea (neither do I) the power requirements of Cicciosamui,

If he needs around 30A then he quite possibly doesn't need to pay the 8000 baht that you suggest. There is also no sense in installing a 30A incoming breaker on a 15/45 supply limiting the power you can use.

Also a 30A breaker is a bit of waste of money as it is small for a 6 mm2 circuit and too big for a 4 mm2 circuit and way too small for a 15/45 main breaker.

63A MCB is the required size in our area if you want the PEA to connect a new 15/30 supply

First, there is no such thing as a 15/30 supply.
I agree that that was a typo and the full correct information is earlier in the same post.

And please provide proof of the rubbish that your local PEA requires exactly a 63A MCB.

I had a long discussion with the PEA area manager on the subject of power supply (he is a school friend of SWMBO so came to visit when our temporary supply was put in) and that was one of the requirements mentioned along with a MEN link and depending upon who had done the installation an inspection of the earthing rod to ensure that it was full length and not a short stub.

Don't forget that the first breaker is there to protect the PEA equipment not yours so they can, and in my area, do require that your installation meets their spec.

That is good enough for me, in my local area. YMMV
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Andyfteeze » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:03 pm

wow, that was ......interesting.
Now along similar lines ,
I have a power pole smack in the middle of the house front. I want to move it to either side and I also need power to start my build. Any idea what the costs may be up here in Hang Dong?
Andyfteeze

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:32 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:wow, that was ......interesting.
Now along similar lines ,
I have a power pole smack in the middle of the house front. I want to move it to either side and I also need power to start my build. Any idea what the costs may be up here in Hang Dong?

Moving the pole, as long as it is yours, is totally your choice .

We put in a concrete base with a 5 or 6 metre round steel pole embedded in it, probable cost under 6,000 other people use a piece of bamboo cost free :lol: if you don't need to extend your cable then that is it, if you do then it has to be replaced

As to power we have 2 supply's one is a 2.5mm2 able run from a neighbors supply and we pay her total bill. About ฿4 per unit. If you can do that it is the cheapest, fastest and easiest.

The other is a temporary PEA 30A supply and cost in the region of 18,000 some of that is a deposit we will get back when it is changed to a permanent supply, and if we decide a 15A supply is enough then we will also get the difference in the cost of the metre. About 7฿ per unit.

If you get a 15A temporary supply (no point in getting a 5A supply as welding can use quite a lot of power) your initial costs drop by about ฿4,000.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:25 pm

Further information, the price I quoted for the temporary supply was probably the lowest as the temporary meter is situated on an existing PEA pole that already has a metre on it and wiring from there is our responsibility. So we only had to pay for about 3 or 4 metres of PEA cable. If they need to add a pole then it may cost another 8,000 or so plus any additional cable.

Of course as TIT it's just what we needed to pay.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:58 am

The PEA has national standards and every new house should meet these standards even if your PEA is not checking all of them. However, if a local guy at the PEA demands you to do something different than the standard then either do it if it is a good idea or ask to see supporting material if not. Because what you'll find is in many cases is they don't know what the standard is. In my area for instance they have no idea how deep to set a pole and may give bad advice about that and other things that are unsafe. Another good idea is to carefully follow the specifications of all your electrical hardware. For instance, the panel usually shows earthing requirements and they may even be beyond the PEA standard.

One other thing that may be relevant to consider in this case is if you end up going with a 15/45 meter then the largest cable that will fit in the holes is 16mm².
canopy

Postby Breizh29 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:We put in a concrete base with a 5 or 6 metre round steel pole embedded in it, probable cost under 6,000 other people use a piece of bamboo cost free :lol: .

Hello Sometimewoodworker,
6000 baths I think it is very expensive!
In my province in Isan: steel pole 5-6m: 800 baht, 1 or 2 bags of cement: 110-220baths, some sand and gravel. This has been done at the same time that my boundary wall, I can not give the exact price but it is very far from 6000 baht ...
(Sorry, English is not my native language)
Breizh29

Next

Return to electric