Installing electrical boxes in walls and ceilings

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Installing electrical boxes in walls and ceilings

Postby cangolfbuilder » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 am

I am wondering the depth to install the outlet/switch/light fixture boxes in the walls. From all the pictures that I have seen on here they look to be installed flush with the block or brick. My experience has been with 2x4 stud and 1/2" drywall. You would screw the box to the stud and 1/2" would protrude out. The box would sit flush with the drywall after the hole was cut in allowing for the face plate to attach perfectly. If the box was too far in then the receptacle never sat flush up against the plate. If the box protruded too far out then the plate did also. I know that there are no to renders of the same thickness in Thailand. Some guys do 10mm and others 30mm. With drywall you always got 1/2" when it said 1/2". Are the boxes they use here different? Does the receptacle attach to the face plate instead of being attached to the box? Thanks for answering a simple yet important question.
cangolfbuilder

Re: Installing electrical boxes in walls and ceilings

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Cangolfbuilder, Outlet boxes are built flush with the block/brickwall indeed as the endpoint for wires.
Good practice would be to do as you mentioned, move it a bit outwards so that you are as close to the surface as possible when putting the face-plates on. But doesn't happen most times. (Can't even remember if it was done like that during my renovation.

Receptacles here attach to a 'dummy' face-plate that is then fixed to the box in the wall. Most of these are multi-purpose, where you can select your own configuration. 1x 2 prong electric and 2x light switch for example..If the box is too far recessed for standard screws (normally 2 screws with one through a fixed position hole and the other one having space to align the face-plate), then simply using longer screws will do. On top of that dummy face-plate then goes the real face-plate (just 'clicked' on to it normally) to cover the screws and sit flush with the render.

cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Re: Installing electrical boxes in walls and ceilings

Postby olavhome » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:44 pm

As far as I have seen in my house now building there if left about 0.5 cm.
So when rendering it will be flushed with the wall.
olavhome

Return to electric