Internet Access for Remote Locations

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Internet Access for Remote Locations

Postby oil » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:11 pm

not completly electric but sort of :D

is there any internet access experience for Remote Locations, where no DSL is available and never will be.
i am asking explicitly for more a high speed solution so GSM, Phonestick and such doesnt really fit into it, i am more looking for a Satelite Solution or Point to Point Internet or anything else i never heard of .... however
it should be still considered sort of high speed internet for remote locations ... i have the feeling something like that must exist.

Any input is welcome
oil

Re: Internet Access for Remote Locations

Postby Shastadad » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:44 am

fredlk describes the TOT WiMax adsl system here in his building story :Building my house in Sattahip at page 174, which might be a possible solution for your Internet Access options
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698&start=2595

My only advice is to stay away from Satellite Internet that CAT is pushing @ http://www.catdatacom.com/en/site/servi ... /network/7

Many complaints about the service and reliability, not to mention the lag which virtually eliminates any online gaming or even VOIP (like SKYPE)

I had Hughes Net when I lived in a rural location in the US and it was a nightmare since they capped your downloading and then restriced your already slow speeds even more if you exceeded your weekly allowance

Depending upon the location of cell towers near your location 3 or 4G might only be your only option, which of course better than nothing
Shastadad

Postby oil » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:40 am

Many Many Thanks, espacially for the warning
oil

Postby jazzman » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:33 pm

When I first moved to my remote village here in Isan there was only dial-up, so I had IPstar satellite Internet http://www.ipstar.com/th/ installed and used it for a couple of years until DSL came to the village. the iPstar connection was OK-ish but not reliable enough for VOIP or YouTube or anything that needed more bandwidth. We now have fibre optic in our tiny remote village and it's even better than some connections in medium sized towns in the UK! IPstar has probably been much improved since the days when we used it, I don't know.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby inthaiguy » Wed May 11, 2016 6:03 am

MyCat now has an unlimited 512 kpbs ( considered 3G ) so if you happen to have coverage, this would be as good as a a satellite connection, always on, and now worry about caps. Had satellite in USA and the 512kbps service from CAT is as good or better. The only other option not covered here yet is something like this: http://cownet.ca/ which if you're enterprising enough, you could set up yourself.
inthaiguy

Postby schuimpge » Wed May 11, 2016 10:58 am

I have AIS point to point antenna link.. Works very well.
If you have an AIS 3G antenna nearby (line of sight), that might be a very good option.
Recently signed up for www.ilikehd.com and streaming sports channels is perfect. (obviously in HD)..
Very reasonable cost as well.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Return to electric