Installing Electrical conduit in the walls

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Installing Electrical conduit in the walls

Postby cangolfbuilder » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:00 am

How are ya? I was wondering the normal or best way to install cable conduit inside a double AAC block wall. Do you first install the outer wall blocks and fasten the conduit to the inside of this ? Do you then enter the back of the outlet box installed on the interior AAC block wall? Same question I guess for the plumbing. Any pictures would be a help. Thanks very much.
cangolfbuilder

Re: Installing Electrical conduit in the walls

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:30 pm

cangolfbuilder wrote:I was wondering the normal or best way to install cable conduit inside a double AAC block wall. Do you first install the outer wall blocks and fasten the conduit to the inside of this ?

You hit the nail on the head, there are special brackets that you buy and nail/screw to the inside of the outer block. The conduit then just clips in/on. If you start at this page or even before it you'll see all the comments and photos viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=765 ....there were a lot of people (members) involved in my build and each had a different view to either mine or their "mates" so it was Rafferty's Rules. You'll find most of the wiring ends up in the ceiling in the conduit and the plumbing is hidden by the ceiling once in place.
You'll just have to go back from that page or forwards and take out all the "adventures" going on at the time.
Roger Ramjet

Postby cangolfbuilder » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks Roger you have a lot of useful information on your build. I remember that flood. I was working in Kazakhstan and had 10 Thai guys working on our crew. 4 or 5 of their homes were under water and they could do nothing to help because they were so far away. Glad that you got through it. I could not tell from the pics that I looked at but did you hang those metal lattes and screw your ceiling to that? This way you could hide all the pipes in the walls and the ceiling cavity and not have to mess too much with the concrete beams. Cheers
cangolfbuilder

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:11 pm

cangolfbuilder wrote:Glad that you got through it. I could not tell from the pics that I looked at but did you hang those metal lattes and screw your ceiling to that? This way you could hide all the pipes in the walls and the ceiling cavity and not have to mess too much with the concrete beams.

I don't know what a metal latte is, but if you look at earlier photos we screwed metal rods with brackets into the concrete floor and hung all the pipes through those ring brackets. The pipes were braced to the walls with straps and ring brackets, depending if we thought they would rattle or not.
The ceiling people were in and out in just one day and there was so much going on with replacing electrical sockets etc that I missed the day with photos.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Here are a few pictures showing plumbing and elec. lines on the inside of outside block wall you can see the inside wall starting to go up.

First one is shower mixing valve supply lines
Attachments
IMGP4052.jpg
IMGP4056.jpg
IMGP4053.jpg
IMGP4070.jpg
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby cangolfbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:18 am

That is what I was asking about. I think I just spelled the word wrong. We always called any grid work latts from the word lattice. Bill those pics are great. I envisioned exactly that . My priority is to hide everything but still make it accessible in case of problems either initial or 25 years down the road.
Attachments
ceiling grid work.jpg
cangolfbuilder

Return to electric