3 Pin sockets and earthing.

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

3 Pin sockets and earthing.

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:35 am

I intend to install earth wires to the ring main but the question is does that mean every outlet in the house must be 3 pin.

99% of sockets here are 2 pin; in fact although mine are all 3 pin in the house I only have one appliance with a 3 pin plug...the fridge.

The back of a 2 two pin socket has no provision for an earth which is what i would expect.
so i take it if you want earthed sockets you have one option and that is a 3 pin everywhere even though there are no appliances to suit them.?

my second question:
are 3 way switches available here. I want a central ceiling light to be operated from each end of the room and also near the bed.
eyecatcher

Re: 3 Pin sockets and earthing.

Postby Ians » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:38 pm

It seems now-a-days not many appliances are earthed, in my home the fridge, washing machine, microwave, oven and gas cook top with powered ignition, everything else has 2 pin power lead, although you need to check carefully, some appliances have a 2 wire / plug but separate earth point which should be connected to earth.
I opted for 3 pin switched outlets for all power out points -mainly from convention as this is standard in Australia and as a safety measure on the off chance that a 3 pin lead / plug maybe connected at sometime.
But to answer your question - you could just arrange to wire / earth only one power outlet.
Sorry can't answer on 3 way switching - more than likely yes - -
Ians

Postby Ians » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:10 am

Forgot to add, all power outlets are RCBO protected as well.
Ians

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:21 am

I intend to install earth wires to the ring main but the question is does that mean every outlet in the house must be 3 pin.

99% of sockets here are 2 pin; in fact although mine are all 3 pin in the house I only have one appliance with a 3 pin plug...the fridge.

The back of a 2 two pin socket has no provision for an earth which is what i would expect.
so i take it if you want earthed sockets you have one option and that is a 3 pin everywhere even though there are no appliances to suit them.?

my second question:
are 3 way switches available here. I want a central ceiling light to be operated from each end of the room and also near the bed.

1:) no but you should run the earth cable to the box so you can change a 2 pin socket to a 3 pin later if you need to. Adding the extra wire now is cheap and easy, later not so much

2:) yes all the big places have them and probably electrical shops too, but many locals don't know how to connect them.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby cooked » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:04 am

Ok if I come back to this thread so late?? I am sick of seeing plugs drop out of sockets and have decided to replace all the sockets. I have both Thai and European appliiances here. Is buying an expensive plug a guarantee for quality? Any place I should go to in preference to others?
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:34 am

cooked wrote:Ok if I come back to this thread so late?? I am sick of seeing plugs drop out of sockets and have decided to replace all the sockets. I have both Thai and European appliiances here. Is buying an expensive plug a guarantee for quality? Any place I should go to in preference to others?

Which European plug types do you have? Most will work well in the Panasonic/National or Haco socket shown under. Those are the makes that seem to last longer than others.

image.jpg

If you have Schuko plugs the socket shown is NOT safe or suitable although they will fit and work they will not be earthed so dangerous if the appliances need to be earthed. You may be able to find an adapter for them.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:57 am

cooked wrote:Ok if I come back to this thread so late?? I am sick of seeing plugs drop out of sockets and have decided to replace all the sockets. I have both Thai and European appliiances here. Is buying an expensive plug a guarantee for quality? Any place I should go to in preference to others?

I have all Haco (made in Thailand) who were kind enough to replace all my flood damaged sockets and switches free. I have had no problem with any except one switch which they also replaced for free. Haco even have on/off switches for socket connections.
Here's their website: http://www.hacothailand.com/
I don't work for Haco and get no commission their electrical switches and other electrical material just take all sorts of European, Australian, English and other strange plugs without falling out.
Roger Ramjet

Postby cooked » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:09 am

Ok I'll go look for Hako sockets. Thanks.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:16 pm

I’ve had no problems with Panasonic wide series They have worked well going on four years now using both round and flat plugs.

http://pessth.panasonic.co.th/product/e ... _wide.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Return to electric