Mechanical Timers for lights or a fan.

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Mechanical Timers for lights or a fan.

Postby scudman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:09 pm

I am looking for several of those mechanical timers to install for fans that I want to run for a certain time and then turn off automatically. In the states we have them where you just twist the knob (past 10) to any time up to an hour. The appliance turns on and the timer ticks down to off. Anyone seen these in Thailand or do I have to get someone to bring me a few from the US?

Also wondering about burying electric wire in the yellow pipe. Only have to go a couple of meters. Hate to go from internal wire to that NYY stuff for 2 meters and then back to internal wire. Or could I run internal wire through some kind of waterproof pipe.
Thanks.
scudman

Re: Mechanical Timers for lights or a fan.

Postby pattayapope » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:20 am

Timers are availabel on the local market, the pool companies use them to control the filtration system so any good electrical shop should have what you need. I see no issue to run normal wire for a couple of meters underground but make sure it is sealed, if you can run in HDPE pipe even better.

PP
pattayapope

Postby Shastadad » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:17 am

Yes, Panasonic brand timers are widely available, and have the ability to offer multiple on and off cycles. If you live in an area with frequent power disruptions you might want to consider the model that provides battery backup during blackouts. Unfortunately this type is not as widely available but can be ordered from a distributor in Bangkok

Timers.png

Just be aware that these timers must be hard wired into the appliance that you want to control. There are cheap multiple event times that can be plugged into a wall receptacle and control an appliance but they are not very substantial

PM me if you would like the contact info for the TB38809KE7 @ 1,461.04 THB, delivered. The non battery backup model sells for around 800 THB as well as I can remember
Shastadad

Postby scudman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:47 pm

OK....seems I forgot to subscribe to my own post. Sorry for not responding. Thanks Sir Pope for the reminder to check and thanks for the advice on the wiring.

This is the kind of timer I am looking for:
Attachments
41THW28906L._SY450_.jpg
Mounts in a light switch box. Mechanical spring like an egg timer.
scudman

Return to electric