Would this be enough ?

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Would this be enough ?

Postby iammike » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:06 pm

HI Guyz,

The missus has been talking to the PEA already and it seems that the max. meter we can get out at our property seems to be 15/45 Single Phase.

Just in case, but will this be enough for the following

Main House
1x Aircon 18.000 BTU Master Bedroom
1x Aircon 12.000 BTU 2nd Bedroom
20-30 Spotlights in the main house
1 Desktop Computer
1 Laptop
3x LED TV's
Couple of Fans.

Kitchen
1x Two Door Fridge (22q) or
1x Single Door Fridge (16q) with separate Freezer

Outside
3 Water Pumps
Around 30-40 lights on the columns outside
Around 3-4 Sensor Lights.

Guest House
10+ spotlights in the guest house
1x Aircon 12.000 BTU Guest Bedroom
1x LED TV
1 or 2 Fans.
Small Fridge

The Aircons will very seldom run all together at the same time but it could happen.

There must be stuff I'm forgetting but I think those are the main ones.

Thanks in advance
iammike

Re: Would this be enough ?

Postby thailazer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:01 am

Add in your water heaters as they are the biggest energy users in your home. Most are 4000-6000 watts. Adding up the wattage of all your appliances that you have on at the same time and then dividing by 240 volts will give you the maximum current usage. You will likely be okay, but impossible to give an answer without knowing the wattages of the things you listed. (i.e. Are your spotlights 23 watt units or 1500 watt halogens?) Hope that helps.
thailazer

Postby iammike » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:52 am

Hi Thailazer,

yes you are completely right I forgot about those water heaters.

The spotlights will have those energy saving bulbs (low wattage but give lots of light)

Oke I found a General Wattage Chart. http://powersurvival.com/info.htm

This lists 3500 Watts for an Aircon if I divide that by 240 I get 14,5, that means only one Aircon is already using approx 1/3. :roll:

So with all the things I listed, I will go way way over that, or am I wrong on this (I hope so)

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Edit: I went to the Diakin website and download a Manual for the Inverter Type we want.
It lists for the Indoor Unit: Running Current 5.6 A with Power Consumption 1167 W
And for the Outdoor Unit: Between 600 and 1100 Watts.

So that would make 5.6 A + (1000 /240 ) = 9.7 A just for this one Aircon. Correct ?
iammike

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:54 pm

iammike wrote:So with all the things I listed, I will go way way over that, or am I wrong on this (I hope so)

You're way wrong, but your biggest users will be the pumps, not the heaters or air conditioners.
15/45 is normal for Thailand you can go to 45/100 which is a huge amount of juice. Don't forget if it says the unit will consume say 3-4,000 watts that only means at start=up, possibly, perhaps maybe. Once running, the watts reduce depending on the load or current passing through it and needed to keep it running and that depends on the resistance.... if you have copper wire, how many mm it is? = resistance.
I worked out what a normal house would use in Thailand on this site somewhere, but I can't find it, which I might add really peeves me as it took days of research.
This is a basic interpretation http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Watts-to-Amps and remember watts have no relationship to amps without volts and resistance. It's like converting water to rock, it just can't be done.
I think, and to be honest my memory is very dodgy at times, I caculated a normal "farang" house in Thailand would only use 36 amps if everything was running, all at the same time.... but with just one pump involved. Pumps can be a big drain on power depending on their workload.
Also remember all these "new fangled" devices use a lot less power/current than the older ones. LED/LCD TV's will run in brownouts as will many computers and so will most lights. In the old days fridges used to be the big user and also water heaters (the instant ones still are somewhat) and ovens were another heavy chewer, but that has all changed over the last few years otherwise we'd all be using wood burners.
I think you'll be fine but I'd check those damned pumps to see what they pull when running.
Roger Ramjet

Postby iammike » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:45 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:<snip>
I think you'll be fine but I'd check those damned pumps to see what they pull when running.

Thanks for the confirmation ;)

I will use 2x Hitachi WM-P400GX so they are 400 watts each so 800 Watts, but 1 is for supplying the house and the guesthouse and the other one is for supplying the garden so will not often run simultaneous.

For the well pump I have no idea yet what I am going to use.

Question:

Just in case it's not enough, what about getting 2 meters connected, but I guess that would require 2 Tabien Baans ??

One meter would be for example for the Guesthouse, the garden and the other one for the Main house
iammike

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 pm

iammike wrote:Just in case it's not enough, what about getting 2 meters connected, but I guess that would require 2 Tabien Baans ??

No, all you have to do is upgrade (higher deposit) to the 45/100 amp meter and they'll just come and take the old one and install the new one. If you've had the electricity on for two years you can even ask for the 45/100 off peak meter and cut the elecricity bill even further, but a 15/45 amp meter should be fine as most Thais only use 5/15 amp meters.
iammike wrote:I will use 2x Hitachi WM-P400GX so they are 400 watts each so 800 Watts, but 1 is for supplying the house

I have a Hitachi WT-P400GX (which I always thought was a Mitsubishi) that is superb, so I know how little power is needed to run it. Yours are a little bit oversize for a one storied house and guest house but I'm a great believer in over-engineering. I was talking about pool pumps and the such like that are continuosly pumping water through them under pressure, but as I said all these "new fangled" electrical appliances have finally been designed to use the least possible amount of juice to keep them running, so you should be fine.
I would suggest a visit to the PEA or EGAT office. They will check what you propose to run, tell you the type of wiring you need to run from the meter, the size of the meter they recommend and will even talk to your electrician. You'll also need to get their approval after 20/30% of the house is complete, so make sure you have the correct sized wires running from the meter.
I wish we had a resident "sparky" who could tell you more in technical terms.
Roger Ramjet

Would this be enough ?

Postby iammike » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi Roger,

The max size that is available to us is as stated 15/45 Single Phase. The 30/100 is not available according to them, this info comes directly from the PEA.

But will visit them again with the whole list (from post nr 1 but also incl. the water heaters (thanks Thailazer) ) and will see what they say.

The reason why I use those pumps is because I have to supply water for gardening through around 700 Meters of piping, and please note this is only the piping that will be running adjacent to the wall, so I am not even thinking about the pipes running to other parts of the property. (the property is 4.5 Rai or 1.7 Acres)

Thanks again, much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iammike

Return to electric