Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:57 am

arranp wrote:do you need a license to install off-grid solar systems ?

If you would care to read this thread, that answer is in plain sight.
If you can't understand it and wish to be pedantic or wish to start a whole new thread that is up to you. To ask that question after you have already answered it is just another way of prolonging ........
arranp wrote:Regardless of whether the PEA does, or does not buy the daytime excess electric generated from my solar panels. I think I would like to try to look at some sort of total off-grid solution, what I know so far about off-grid solutions is that there needs to be a store for the excess electric generated in the daytime to use at night-time.

Batteries, I think, are currently the most popular solution, I'd rather not use them because they need to be replaced after a certain number of re-charge cycles, but if they are the only option then I'd rather go with them than use the electric from the grid (which who knows how much co2 has been produced from that process). Same with water I would like to go total off-grid water with rain harvesting, I don't know how much co2 has been produced by the water companies, after all they need to use electric (from the electric company) to pump and cleanse the water so there is a co2 cost here.

In other words read what you wrote.
Roger Ramjet

Postby arranp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:28 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
arranp wrote:What does it matter what I say if the earth is turning into a venus or something similar?

The problem is that you didn't say it, you said Neil Tyson said it and Neil Tyson is not qualified to say it.

The problem is not about what is said, it is about what is happening. The problem is the possibility of earth turning into venus due to man made events, and what steps are being taken to avoid it.

For the moment I still
i) drive around in my car powered by an internal combustion engine that burns petrol putting co2 into the air
ii) use electric generated from the grid supplied by power stations some of which burn fossil fuels and put co2 into the air
iii) use water from the water companies who clense and pump water using electric from the grid supplied by power stations some of which burn fossil fuels and put co2 into the air.

So I am responsible some of the co2 content in the air. So are most people. However, I think ( by the way I am no expert this is just my current belief, which I reserve the right to change, expand on daily basis as necessary from what I hear, see, listen, read ) it is imperative to stop using energy from fossil fuels and use the energy from the sun. Not straight away, "Rome was not built in a day", but something to change toward, as time allows, over the next 5, 10, 20 years.

A few people on here have tried to get a license, I understand this is a license from the PEA to sell excess electric generated by solar panels during the daytime back the PEA ?

Hence because the PEA don't agree to buy your electric, you see no sense "financially" installing solar panels. This is where most people STOP because, the solution is being judged from a financial perspective and it doesn't make sense figuratively to install.

I believe it is wrong to base the decision to install solar on finance above the danger being caused to our environment in which we are allowed to live.

I understand a license is needed for on-grid solar systems that sell their electric back to the grid, however I don't know if a license is needed for
a) an on-grid solar system that does not sell its excess electric back to the grid
b) an off-grid solar system
arranp

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:49 pm

Even if you connect to the grid and dont get paid, its is still worthwhile. You eliminate your most energy intense periods from the meter. Not sure if this scenario was covered by "cant get a licence"
The aircon will get its most use during daytime hrs. Other household items ie microwave ovens, lights and tvs use relatively little power. The fridge is now your main contributor. The washing machine if run during the day costs bugger all too.
By solar Heating your pool for ten hrs a day , even if its off at night, the water will retain the majority of its enegy store. If the pump only runs during the day, i doubt the pool will get dirty enough at night to be any concern.
I think you can pretty well get your consumption down to around 2000b per month by only using power from the grid at night. And then by clever planning, get your total power bill down even further.
But i understand also its unreasonable to try to get there over night. :D
Just an idea Arranp, you need to do the maths.
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:33 pm

Why not ask yourself if you are willing to shelve out 500,000 Baht on an illegal systen (no approval) just to see it confiscated. It's all well and good being high and mighty and doing the right thing, but that costs money that few are prepared to spend just to see it all go up in smoke because the powers that be (EGAT or PEA) won'y issue the approval licence. They will only issue to those people with factories, not domestic users. They were otdered to issue both commercial and domestic licences but unless you are one of the "elite" in Thailand you'll get no licence. The last time my wife and I went to EGAT we sat in line for 5 hours to be told "we will contact you" and that was two years ago. Follow-up phone calls have got the same reply "we'll contact you". In other words they won't.
Roger Ramjet

Postby arranp » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:07 am

I sympathise.

Forgive me if I come across high and mighty. I don't take no for an answer without first exploring all possibility for myself, at some point I do accept but not until I am exhausted. Currently I believe solar is the better energy to use.

I think you are right about the cost, the solar panel and invert is about 360k, by the time batteries are added for the overnight supply, I guess the cost would exceed 500k.

I'm not sure what argument the PEA could make regarding a total off-grid solution. Do they have a threshold ? ie. offgrid solutions to power just the swimming pool is allowed, but not for the home as a whole ?

I'm not sure the PEA can force someone to buy their electric ?

Wait and see.
arranp

Postby arranp » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:40 am

Andyfteeze wrote:Even if you connect to the grid and dont get paid, its is still worthwhile. You eliminate your most energy intense periods from the meter. Not sure if this scenario was covered by "cant get a licence"
The aircon will get its most use during daytime hrs. Other household items ie microwave ovens, lights and tvs use relatively little power. The fridge is now your main contributor. The washing machine if run during the day costs bugger all too.
By solar Heating your pool for ten hrs a day , even if its off at night, the water will retain the majority of its enegy store. If the pump only runs during the day, i doubt the pool will get dirty enough at night to be any concern.
I think you can pretty well get your consumption down to around 2000b per month by only using power from the grid at night. And then by clever planning, get your total power bill down even further.
But i understand also its unreasonable to try to get there over night. :D
Just an idea Arranp, you need to do the maths.

Hi Andy,

Forgive me, I've yet not realised the benefit of heating the pool, could you elaborate please.

The pools I swim in here in Thailand, are they heated, I thought they got their warmth from the sun. If not, then is there a purpose to heating the pool other than for comfort whilst swimming.

I understand the principle, that the pool water can be used to dump heat from inside the house instead of using and an underground earth loop.

However, is there any other benefit to heating the pool water ?

Regards
Arran.
arranp

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:49 am

Sorry Arran, i still had my aussie hat on. I assumed you were using so much power on the pool for heating and pump.
We tend to have cold water in melbourne :D
Well then, its an even easier fix. Solar panels to run the pump. Have seen those around.
No need to connect to the grid ! That should just about halve your power bill.
When it is possible to get a "licence", you can then go to the next stage. Everyone is happy. :roll:
In the mean time, when the need arises, make sure you buy energy efficient appliances.
Be careful with the energy star ratings too. When we bought a fridge, some 4stars used less power than 5star ratings.
Couldnt quite work that out . Efficiency is measured how?, total power consumption per year i can understand !
I guess its like cheese ratings -20% less fat. Less than what? How much? :D
Andyfteeze

Postby arranp » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:34 am

please don't quote me on this, nor do I offer this as any sort of approval to go ahead and install your solar.

this week past, whilst paying my bill at the PEA, I went upstairs and spoke with the chief of the meter section at Thalang PEA in Phuket, a nice lady.

we spoke about daytime solar and sell electric to PEA, this is not available for 1 or 2 years.

we also spoke about daytime solar and night time battery, ie. off-grid, this the PEA have no problem with.

she mentioned but we did not talk in detail about the type of circuit breaker.

Regards
Arran.
arranp

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:06 pm

arranp wrote:we spoke about daytime solar and sell electric to PEA, this is not available for 1 or 2 years.

If you read my two posts in the other solar thread you should be able to understand where she is coming from. It is her "fiefdom" and she'll dictate when she thinks solar should be allowed. It doesn't matter what the law says, she's the head honcho and it's what she says. :D :D I might add what she said is bullshit!
Roger Ramjet

Postby arranp » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:10 pm

anyone got any comments on the effectiveness of a solar chimney ?

arranp

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:32 pm

arranp wrote:anyone got any comments on the effectiveness of a solar chimney ?

I have one.. Works wonders on the house.. I have two houses, both same.. 1 with and one without. The one without is warm and hot end of the day.. The newly renovated is always cooler and more fresh..
Search my thread on info... Went with it after seeing loads of them in Vietnam. Never regretted it..
schuimpge

Postby arranp » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:14 pm

The Nation January 6, 2015 1:00 am
NRC approves household rooftop solar cells plan
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/NRC-approves-household-rooftop-solar-cells-plan-30251263.html
arranp

Postby Shastadad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:21 am

Typical for the new military masters:

The National Reform Council (NRC) yesterday approved in principal a national scheme to independently install solar cells on household rooftops, but it acknowledged that it might benefit the importers of the solar materials and operators rather than household users.

(italics mine) :evil:
Shastadad

Postby arranp » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:25 am

wait and see, proof is in the pudding!

regardless, i would like to go total off-grid as I believe this is cleaner, i will produce less co2.
arranp

Postby Andyfteeze » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:55 am

Its gotta happen. Not even greedy officials can keep this at bay forever. Sooner or later the head has to come out of the sand.
But one issue which could delay its much anticipated freedom is what it does to traditional power generators. It destroys their business model. Its disruptive and revolutionary. I believe this is why the LNP Australian government has backflipped on renewables, their mates were starting to lose money and State governments are starting to lose revenue.
I noticed that more coal power generating facilities are planned here in thailand: the cheapest ( not counting the pollution cost. :evil: ) form of generation. But it may take only five years of open market solar to wipe this out. Some one may lose face on this big time.
Many smart people here in thailand want to progress and also many smart people just happen to make lots of money from the staus quo. Who has the power at the moment?
Could this be the real reason for the delay here? Just asking........
Solar is the cheapest future. ChL
Andyfteeze

PreviousNext

Return to electric