Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:54 pm

arranp wrote:its the co2 (not ozone) that is keeping the heat in our atmodpgere, without it earth would be a ball of snow, too much of it we would bake.

yes , the trees are the earth lungs, breath in co2 ingredients breath out co2 in the winter.

I think you'de better read what you wrote.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby arranp » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:47 pm

phone predictive texting
arranp
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:20 am

things to note about Co2 levels.
1/ most rapid rise ever in last 200 yrs
2/ co2 is necessary
3/ too much co2 is poisonous
4/ too much co2 causes global warming
5/ too much co2 in atmosphere causes oceans to acidify, killing off shell fish. ( we are seeing evidence of this now)
6/ global warming may become self propelling
7/ russian tundra is thawing. ( we are seeing evidence of this now)
8/ russian tundra has enormous amounts of methane stored under the tundra ( mysterious circles reported in news)
9/ methane is a far bigger producer of global warming. excess methane in the atmosphere will have a multiplier effect.
10/ global warming will melt all ice areas and raise the sea levels. ( we are seeing evidence of this now- Melting glaciers, Arctic region losing far more ice than Antarctic gaining)
11/ most meteorological readings show a consistent long term trend
12/ the most prestigious science organisations all say that we have a problem IN THE MAKING
these are known facts. Nobody can dispute this.

so who are you going to believe? Can you join the dots? Which model of "no warming" fits the facts?.........chirp.(cricket).
Scientists are clearly concerned. Things clearly are lining up ! Thats why they build models to understand better all the mechanisms at work. No one knows for sure when the tipping event will happen or IF it happens, but to ignore it is head in the sand stuff.

personally, people who claim its a secret society swindling our money creating fear, walk through life with a bag over their heads. Being selective about facts and science is a failure to understand. I tolerate them but will slam them if they present stupidity as facts.
We are blessed with this small planet we live on. It is finite and finely balanced in our favour. We dont really need to rock the boat a lot to stuff it up for everyone.

So , from little things big things grow. I think most people try to do the right thing and we should all encourage it. This issue aint going away any time soon. Solar, hydrogen or what ever is all good. But we also are realistic enough to know its a big ship and it takes time to turn around. The million dollar question is how much time do we have.
Solar PV cells, solar heating, energy efficient cars, energy efficient appliances and well insulated homes are here now. Its affordable and in our interests both financially, environmentally and morally to pursue, i assume that's why you are reading this.
Arrang, cut your consumption and you will save heaps, lol.
Andyfteeze
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby arranp » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:06 pm

55555
i know
the pump for the pool takes 3000 a month alone.

im starting with roof top solar panels and rain water harvesting.
arranp
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby MGV12 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:57 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:things to note about Co2 levels.
1/ most rapid rise ever in last 200 yrs
2/ co2 is necessary
3/ too much co2 is poisonous
4/ too much co2 causes global warming
5/ too much co2 in atmosphere causes oceans to acidify, killing off shell fish. ( we are seeing evidence of this now)
6/ global warming may become self propelling
7/ russian tundra is thawing. ( we are seeing evidence of this now)
8/ russian tundra has enormous amounts of methane stored under the tundra ( mysterious circles reported in news)
9/ methane is a far bigger producer of global warming. excess methane in the atmosphere will have a multiplier effect.
10/ global warming will melt all ice areas and raise the sea levels. ( we are seeing evidence of this now- Melting glaciers, Arctic region losing far more ice than Antarctic gaining)
11/ most meteorological readings show a consistent long term trend
12/ the most prestigious science organisations all say that we have a problem IN THE MAKING
these are known facts. Nobody can dispute this.

so who are you going to believe? Can you join the dots? Which model of "no warming" fits the facts?.........chirp.(cricket).
Scientists are clearly concerned. Things clearly are lining up ! Thats why they build models to understand better all the mechanisms at work. No one knows for sure when the tipping event will happen or IF it happens, but to ignore it is head in the sand stuff.

personally, people who claim its a secret society swindling our money creating fear, walk through life with a bag over their heads. Being selective about facts and science is a failure to understand. I tolerate them but will slam them if they present stupidity as facts.
We are blessed with this small planet we live on. It is finite and finely balanced in our favour. We dont really need to rock the boat a lot to stuff it up for everyone.

So , from little things big things grow. I think most people try to do the right thing and we should all encourage it. This issue aint going away any time soon. Solar, hydrogen or what ever is all good. But we also are realistic enough to know its a big ship and it takes time to turn around. The million dollar question is how much time do we have.
Solar PV cells, solar heating, energy efficient cars, energy efficient appliances and well insulated homes are here now. Its affordable and in our interests both financially, environmentally and morally to pursue, i assume that's why you are reading this.
Arrang, cut your consumption and you will save heaps, lol.


For another 'opinion':

Five climate lessons from Stephen Hawking


http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/stor ... n-hawking/

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby Andyfteeze » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:51 am

which facts are opinions. :shock:
I think its better to try and influence what we have control over. Volcanic activity and galactic winds we have no control over so no point worrying about.
Dont get what your point is. Are you thinking in terms of our life time or 5billion years time? Can we keep the environment stable for another couple of hundred thousand years ? In cosmic terms, insignificant, but on a human level a bloody good job! If we F%^&^t up in the next 100yrs, NOT HAPPY JAN !
Metaphorically and statistically speaking, walk on the road and you get killed but walk on the footpath and you have a better chance of survival.
Walking on the road= business as usual
Walk on the footpath= do something

Arrang, have you thought about solar water heating for the pool? This is something I had an idea about a while back for a spa. May be three times bigger than heating for showers but doable. Everyday it shines it works for you.
Then you could go solar powered pump. A capital outlay for sure but near zero operating expenses. Half your power costs disappear for 10-20yrs
Seems a better way to reduce your energy use than chasing utopia with a car on hydrogen, lol.
Andyfteeze
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby arranp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:38 pm

yes, I think, first I install a load of panels on the roof, as this will supply the daytime electric demand, but the night time demand as yet I'm unsure.

Regardless of whether the PEA does, or does not buy the daytime excess electric generated from my solar panels. I think I would like to try to look at some sort of total off-grid solution, what I know so far about off-grid solutions is that there needs to be a store for the excess electric generated in the daytime to use at night-time.

Batteries, I think, are currently the most popular solution, I'd rather not use them because they need to be replaced after a certain number of re-charge cycles, but if they are the only option then I'd rather go with them than use the electric from the grid (which who knows how much co2 has been produced from that process). Same with water I would like to go total off-grid water with rain harvesting, I don't know how much co2 has been produced by the water companies, after all they need to use electric (from the electric company) to pump and cleanse the water so there is a co2 cost here.

For me, these are life-term goals, nothing to be solved instantly, but something to work toward.

Early 1900s the co2 levels in our atmosphere started to increase at a more rapid rate, for several billion years or so before that they remained at stable level. Burning coal, oil, fossil fuels, is a contributor to this. Using the energy from the sun (financial cost aside) is more clean than fossil fuels which have, what seems maybe an expensive cost (co2 wise).

This is a short youtube of Michael Strizki hydrogen home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vgB_k00o0
arranp
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:19 pm

arranp wrote:Early 1900s the co2 levels in our atmosphere started to increase at a more rapid rate, for several billion years or so before that they remained at stable level. Burning coal, oil, fossil fuels, is a contributor to this. Using the energy from the sun (financial cost aside) is more clean than fossil fuels which have, what seems maybe an expensive cost (co2 wise).

I'm sorry arranp, but some of your statements are totally incorrect. The earth has gone through many stages, ice age, etc over several billion years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age which states there have been 5 so far and core sampling is in progress for more. There was a mini ice age just 400 odd years ago http://unmaskingevolution.com/11-iceages.htm which nobody knows why it started and why it finished.
History recording as far as weather patterns has been sporadic to say the least and it's only in the last 100 odd years that records have been kept which are still incomplete as far as ocean currents are concerned. To be perfectly honest we know very little about our planet and how it functions, but we do know major eruptions and the shifting of plates can cause more damage in one day than a lifetime of CO2 emissions from industry.
If you had read what I posted previously from the United Nations Committee on Climate Change you would know global warming has stopped and they are hoping for a reversal.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby arranp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Co2 levels over the last 10,000 years
Image

I understand the global warming fears are earth turns into a venus. Venus, I understand, was once like earth, however its co2 levels are now much higher than earths. If earth does turn into another venus I think we can forget about any more ice ages..

I'm no expert, just going off what Neil deGrasse Tyson in Cosmos A space time odyssey episode 12, would you agree he more knowledgeable on this subject than you or I.
arranp
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:02 pm

arranp wrote:I'm no expert, just going off what Neil deGrasse Tyson in Cosmos A space time odyssey episode 12, would you agree he more knowledgeable on this subject than you or I.

Are you saying Neil Tyson said "
arranp wrote:Early 1900s the co2 levels in our atmosphere started to increase at a more rapid rate, for several billion years or so before that they remained at stable level. Burning coal, oil, fossil fuels, is a contributor to this. Using the energy from the sun (financial cost aside) is more clean than fossil fuels which have, what seems maybe an expensive cost (co2 wise).

If so where is that direct quote from the man himself?
If he did make that statement then please explain to me why there have been 5 ice ages during those billions of years.
You cannot state that for billions of years CO2 emissions were nonexistent unless you can answer "what caused the 5 ice ages"?
If you are going to quote an authority on global warming and CO2 emissions then I certainly would want to see that quote as a quote.
I reference my posts, I try not to guess what you thought he might have said, possibly perhaps maybe, so please point me to those direct quotes, especially the several billion years. The man is not a paleontologist nor is he an anthropologist studying fossil earth, his area of expertise is the planets, or so it seems.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby arranp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:18 pm

There are natural extinction events and there are man made extinction events, not turning to solar will increase global warming, which is man made event.

What does it matter what I say if the earth is turning into a venus or something similar?

I would recommend you watch the episode for yourself, as for anyone reading this. The episode is concise, clear, and easy to understand, it shows where we should be going and what we should be leaving behind if our children are to survive, and puts the facts where its conclusions are taken from.
arranp
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby MGV12 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:which facts are opinions. :shock:


Apologies for the delay in responding:

You :shock: very easily for an Aussie :lol:

There are some 'facts' in your post and some 'opinions'.

Stephen Hawking's comments are opinions; based upon facts in the main.

Therefore another opinion; or even 'opinion'.

Have a HNY and if/when you build that house in 2015 [or whenever] Chok dee :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:48 pm

arranp wrote:What does it matter what I say if the earth is turning into a venus or something similar?

The problem is that you didn't say it, you said Neil Tyson said it and Neil Tyson is not qualified to say it.
Professor David Suzuki also started to make similar claims on his TV shows and the scientific community took him to task for wrong and incorrect scientific statements way outside his field of expertise. He lost credibility and scientists can't afford to do that, especially research Professors because they lose all their funding that way.
I've already said many times over that solar power and wind power are totally underutilised, but that's the fault of governments and big business and I explained their reasoning.
When you stop saying what you will do and post photos I'll applaud you, but be warned you have to get that licence first and a few of us have tried without success.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby arranp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:56 pm

do you need a license to install off-grid solar systems ?
arranp
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby arranp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:56 pm

do you need a license to install off-grid solar systems ?
arranp
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to electric

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest